911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so I got the last of it fitted up today took off the big factory air box and fitted a small K&N filter to the air metering plate. This will give me enough room to adjust the new WUR when it arrives but still have an air filter on the car for tuning. I took the car out for a run to get it warn so I could check the oil level after replacing some of the oil lines and in the process need to dump some oil. So while I was keeping the rev’s down to warm it up I did hit the boost threshold a couple of times and there is no doubt it has at least a few hundred RPM less lag and feels a lot more free revving. The other advantage of the greatly reduced exhaust length is the flames out of the exhaust are much better!

There is just one downside. I’ve not had time to check it yet but I think I’ve got a bit of a lazy scavenger pump. Works find with some revs but seems to struggle at idle. This backs up the core of the turbo and forces oil into the intake. That equals white clouds of burnt oil smoke. Easy enough to check I just need the damn time!  

And done. Vented drip tank problem sorted. Turns out the pump works like a champ. So good in fact that the lack of a vent was causing a hydraulic lock type event. Bla Bla Bla Bla wordy wordy wordy.

Car has at least 50 more seat of the pants RWHP and feels much much more responsive. Very happy. Skidding 285's is always fun.

Yes for sure. Should have the adjustable WUR here this week. I'll get that on the car then take it back to the dyno for a proper before and after. I'd like to do it without the WUR but it's just not worth the risk. I'll set the enrichment to 4,400RPM and see how we go. 

The muffler sounds like it might be holding it back a little now but that is very easy to fix...

So after getting the car all back together on Saturday I wanted to find the 2nd big oil leak I have. I gave it a really good clean and the took it for a run around the block. Turns out it's the paper gasket behind the cam shaft sproket. Booo. What looks like a small drip here turns into the constant drip when it's running. So pull it all back apart again. I need to give Jame's a call and order the stuff asap.

WUR and RPM CSV are now here so I need to dig up a CIS pressure test guage so I can set it up.

D1472D99-0892-40E2-9EB5-82525A70F6A2_zps

10731090_892645514087014_732092143902392

10639685_892646030753629_423419299418539

1383316_892646044086961_7177755940588086

Accommodation booked for the Snowy Mountain 1000 so I better get off my rear and get this pile of bolts back together. Jim's going to call over and share some wisdom on cam sprocket staying in place while pulled apart bla bla bla so with a bit of luck I'll be able to get everything done in one night bar the new exhaust.

Jim called over last night and lent his learnings on changing the cam shaft sprocket O-ring and paper gasket. We got that knocked over quickly so turned the motor over by hand to check our work then put it all bact together. We took this time to fit the adjustable WUR and fit the part of the CSV kit. Gave it a quick start and it fired into life right off the bat. Brian set up the WUR to spec but once I wire up the rest of the CSV kit I'll get it back to the dyno so I can check the AFR's. Sounded very healthy on start up though.

I'll try and get the post turbo exhaust mods done this weekend.

Trans oil changed.

Made a solid start on the exhaust. Will finish on Saturday with a bit of luck. 

Also remade some of the oil hard lines. 

Should get the MSD CSV wired up on Monday then happy days. 

So a mate and I made a new muffler for it on Saturday. Well he made it, I was almost too hungover to be able to walk. Anyhoo it works quite well. The only thing I didn't think of on the day was fitting an o2 bung so I pulled it back off and will sort it Monday arvo. Oh and now for the first time ever I have a oil cooled motor that has no leaks. I know unheard of!
The trans also feels better to shift with the new oil in it. Very happy.

422FE8E9-CFB6-4ACC-A111-BF49D6E62B14_zps

This is it after a 20 minute run. Sound is hilariously offensive as it comes on boost. Between the economically long gate pipe and the high pitch scream of the exhaust wheel it makes for some good laughs. The pop's and bang's on decel now have a much sharper sound to them.

0854ADD2-E9D2-4189-A4B1-F8B7638D6B42_zps

Got a good drive in today after filling it up. For the first time ever a car is actually on the edge of being inappropriately fast for my test hill. The total lack of civility in the post turbo exhaust is delicious, Clearly the only answer here is to make it faster. 

On the downside my Dyno guy in Newcastle has had to go in for emergency surgery for something and I won't be able to get it in the Dyno before the SM1000. I'm going to try and dig up a AFR gauge ASAP so I can see what up and work out if I need to add more fuel.

Problem is that won't give me any time to tune the WUR or make any unforeseen changes. 

Oh and if you want a core WUR to send over to Brian mate just let me know. I'm planning on sending my one over to get my core money back. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been flat out with some family health issues (My Dad’s quite ill) and doing my best to get some time to work on the car. I’ve just been chipping away at it late at night or when time allows. I fitted the adjustable WUR but couldn’t play with it as I had no way to check the AFR’s. I managed to pick up a new AFR gauge on Saturday morning and fit it Sunday night. Next time I was able to get out in the car was last night. First thing I found was it was still too lean as it came on boost. No worries I’ll do as per recommendation and make a small ¼ turn and try again. Still too lean on boost. Another ½ turn.. still lean. Anyway in the end it was full turns and maxed out for all the fuel I could get into it. So I’ve maxed out all the fuel available to me for now. Next step is either a higher flow fuel head or EFI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSAKk0RR4lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=861IQUL8hm4

Still need more fuel at 5,500RPM+ but it's perfect below that. Calling it a day and only revving it to 5,500 netted us 340RWHP on the one 3rd gear pull we did. We spent most of the night in 4th working on the AFR's rather then outright power.

Archived