911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rexona cans for comparison? that's a crime! (nokia phones are the one and only)

Uncle, not trying to upstage you just trying to show you the size of this thing, i nearly fell of my chair when my son pulled this out of the box.

IMAG0981.jpg

So not much happened last week I came down with a nasty chest infection that I picked up from my little bloke. This then spread around the house like wild fire until we all had it. Once we got that under control the little bloke picks up some kind of virus that ends up with a trip to the E.D. Kids hey. They are little plague sacks  bundles of joy.

Anyway I’m back at work today so if I’m able to be at work I should be able to do a little work on the car right? So last night I took off the intercooler and packed it up to send down to one of our fellow members in Mexico. Later tonight I’ll try and get under there and pull the headers off so I can change the flange over to T4. Factory flange is T3 but the only option that was going to flow enough for me was the bigger T4 footprint. So cutting and welding it is!

Whilst I’m cutting and welding I’m going to cut the 46mm 4 bolt wastegate flange off and weld on a 50mm V-band flange to suit a Turbosmart gate a mate has sitting around doing nothing. The slightly bigger but more importantly newer tech Turbosmart gate should provide me with better boost control. Speaking of boost control it looks like I’ve got the ECU sorted. After a bit of negotiation with my mate the Haltech dealer we have come to an agreement for him to supply a Platinum Sport 2000 for a reasonable price. I leveraged the mucking around I had to do with the loom on the last project and wore him down lol.

My intention is to start out with just basic sensors (cam,crank and boost control) to get the car running and add to it later on. The main advantage of the 2000 is it has 6 injector drivers and 6 ignition drivers. This means you can run true sequential and tune each cylinder by 100rpm increments.

Decent size that is! 

It's funny how we still use pounds rather than kilopascals  :)

I still can't get my head around KW , but I'm fashionably vintage in my thought processes.

lb/min is a good translation to engine hp output. (sort of nearly) 

Easy to find out that 650hp is achievable at 22 psi. As long as your volumetric efficiency is there. 

lb/min is a good translation to engine hp output. (sort of nearly) 

Easy to find out that 650hp is achievable at 22 psi. As long as your volumetric efficiency is there. 

J/K  ;)

I am enjoying relearning quantum mechanics after decades away, just because I need an extra challenge from time to time. Horses for courses I guess!

I still need to dig up some 964 cams. JV911 said he might still have some at Autohaus but I've been too flat out at work during business to call them. B.B-day Chris thought he might have some at his engine builders but it's not looking good on that front either. 

Failing that I'll just buy some 964 grid cams that already have the dowel holes for the mechanical oil pump. 

I figure it easier to fit them now than doing it after I've already tuned the car. How hard could it be.

Inlet manifold is back from getting blasted so I'll paint it on Sunday after I pull the headers off. Also ordered my Haltech PS2000 today so that should be here on Tuesday. 

As I was digging around in my parts cupboard I found a 3ltr dizzy I forgot I even had. I might look into using that as my 2nd crank input over getting a scavenge pump input. 

So things are getting nicely out of hand. I spent some money I was umming and ahhing about spending and have some 964 profile 930 cams coming thanks to Russ and T&D.  

I’ve got the sensors and crank trigger stuff coming over from the US now and have got a water cutting place knocking me out a fancy new T4 pattern turbo flange out of stainless. I’m going to see if I can fit some studs to the flange to make it a little more boost leak proof while I’m there.

Plan is still to fit the new turbo and gate button it back up then drive it to a mates wedding in QLD at the end of June. After than I’ll come back and drop the motor for the cam and EFI change.

Archived