911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah they are mate. 

Plan is to get up early on Sunday and still fit the 964 cams. Will then pull the heads off and have a go at welding a nut on the end of the stud to see if we can get it out with some heat. If we get it out I’ll pull the rest and so who can supply me with some ARP studs. 

It’s not all bad just a pain in the rear I didn’t really need. Still It will give me more confidence in running 1 bar of boost. It’s clearly been lifting the heads slightly on both banks for quite a while so some “free” power will be found in fitting the ARP studs. 

The motor still has great comp so I don’t think a full rebuild would yield any real value. While the heads are off I might do a little port matching to the 3.2 manifold.

Dilivar studs are notoriously difficult to weld.  I ground flats on the broken studs and used vice grips to turn mine out. Most came out without too much resistance. Heat around the block at the stud helps loosen them too.   Good luck.  

Was any combustion leaking?  Is the head ok?

when I checked mine last weekend I mentally prepared myself for a teardown like this.  It was a relief to see them all in place.  I think in your case it will lead to bigger and better things.

All the heads look fine but I’m still to do some testing with a straight edge. Gut feeling is they are a ok.

The had been leaking under boost but not that much. I’d love to send them of to a mate in SA who is an absolute guru when it comes to head porting but I don’t think time or money is going to allow. 

4482254C-1168-4ED9-8494-40618EA53F72_zps

8519325B-FA1D-4A67-A58A-7D54E160D98A_zps

69D3228D-DA62-4E4C-9A12-618D73E8DC7C_zps

Sometimes you have a win. This afternoon I headed up to the shed gave it a spray with some CRC 5.56 and a couple of big taps on the end with a hammer then headed back inside to much around with the little bloke. Once the dad jobs had been done I went back to the shed put two sets of vice grips on the stud gave it a spray and started to give it little wiggles. Once I got a hint of 1/2mm of movement I gave it a few more hits of 5.56 and kept up the little movements to work the spray in. Then it was just time and small movements till the thing was out. 

4D1072DA-6EB0-48E0-83DF-262A5A548485_zps

8B7CCC54-9A4A-417A-805E-B39E2E724C95_zps

Thanks mate. 1/2mm movement = Things that must be done no matter what. 

I had the most frustrating day at work in 2 years. Why? Because people wouldn't dig in and do the needy even for their own good. Like keep their own jobs good.

Anyone need a good Op’s manager?

• 1 month later...

This wasn’t easy as the car was already up on stands but the wife and I got there in the end.

3364FAD2-DB28-41BB-B1E5-0578BF742DAA_zps

C4759086-889E-4525-A9B9-08D1C50D3941_zps

And now these are here we can begin in earnest.

6A2B351E-7021-4084-8D15-6F84C55D702C_zps

bloody good effort, like putting your socks on after your shoes, good thinking using the wife as I have seen mine perform magic tricks getting her bra  on and off 

Archived