911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ll do a little more tonight but really as it’s not an N/A motor there is no need to polish. It’s all about removing the steps and giving the injector the best chance at point toward the valve. 

Interesting!  I wouldn't have believed that the 3.2 ports would be THAT much different to the earlier heads.

Good to see you're still on that "slippery slope"!

Can't want to see the end results.

Pete the motor is actually quite a late 930 engine. Porsche just didn’t increase the port size on the 930 engine as there was no need. 

I’ll do a little more tonight but really as it’s not an N/A motor there is no need to polish. It’s all about removing the steps and giving the injector the best chance at point toward the valve. 

Pete the motor is actually quite a late 930 engine. Porsche just didn’t increase the port size on the 930 engine as there was no need. 

not so much about polishing , the coarse flappers make removing material very easy and controlable

• 2 weeks later...

Started putting it back together today. Heads are on and torqued up,cam housings on and 964 cams in. After that I did some other smaller jobs replacing gaskets and cleaning stuff getting ready to set the cam timing and then put the rest of it together. 

I painted the inlet manifold wrinkle coat black along with the rocker covers so I took to them with a file and cleaned the pain of the Porsche logo’s.

Not sure what I’m going to do about the fuel rails. Either scratch build some or weld on some -6 or 8 AN fittings to the stock 3.2 rails. How hard could it be.

Oh and I also worked out a good solution to me WTA radiator problem but more on that later.

• 3 weeks later...

Solid weekend of work. Lots of stuff done but still lots to do in the next 3 weeks before tune and race day. 

ECU and fuse box mounted up under the drivers seat.

IMG_2334_zpsxubpoykk.jpg

Holes for loom and MAP sensor.

IMG_2331_zpsljtu9qmp.jpg

HALL sensor off the back of the cam.

IMG_2330_zpsirotu6ag.jpg

This job.

IMG_2318_zpsbnzfll6e.jpg

Is sooo much easier with these tools. (P,S I looked for that beer cooler for ages.

IMG_2321_zpsaxfuxtjy.jpg

Drive by wire throttle body and water to air intercooler I’m going to make fit. 

IMG_2311_zpsi1pn20my.jpg

IMG_2312_zpsiphnei98.jpg

Andy or “he who can weld” thinking what I’m thinking. It can be done it just won’t be easy.

IMG_2313_zpsgizhyech.jpg

And a little art for the sake of art.

IMG_2329_zps13cgass7.jpg

The Raven tapping at my chamber door.

IMG_2324_zpsvxzb93ez.jpg

• 1 month later...

So, long time no speak.

Well after belting away getting between 2.5 to 4 hours a night sleep for just over 28 days I finished the car with 2 days to spare before the SM1000. I’d go to bed each night at 03:00 and get back up to go to work at 06:30. Just to top it off we had some major restructures happen and I lost 3 staff. On the plus side I lost my direct boss and gained a new one who appears to be human. So that’s nice.

Anyway I had to do a couple of temporary instals for things like the coil packs and the heat exchanger for the water to air intercooler but over all the car is working very very well. I now plan to go back and look at them in the coming months. I put a fair bit of thought into the WTA intercooler set up and it paid off in spades. We had constant 36c intake temps on the dyno. That’s impossible with an air to air set up and close to 40c less than what would be considered “normal” intake temps.

First cab off the rank was getting the drive by wire throttle input worked out. This a little tricky in a car with floor swung peddles. After much digging and scratching of heads at various places I found what I needed. I ended up with a 2001 Astra V6 throttle peddle input sensor that a made a bracket for and mounted in the place the stock bell crank would mount to. This allowed me to use all the factory hardware and simply just works. You can see the sensor next to my glass of wine..

39C1E931-13B2-4997-BC74-A195FECC2BC0_zps

After the I took stuff off the engine painted it or cleaned it made a few more brackets I’d need later on and put it back together.

IMG_2364_zps1xbkktrk.jpg

These are just because arty..

IMG_2384_zpsm6azf7hc.jpg

IMG_2366_zps1m0guewh.jpg

IMG_2374_zpspttnxo8v.jpg

Now all was going swimmingly and I had exactly 25 days to race day. Tight but I’m a do’er and get things done. So lets dig in and get the EFI on the damn car!

How hard can it be..

IMG_2379_zpsjgtqngrz.jpg

IMG_2417_zpsitk7va05.jpg

Some more because I’m all arty and stuff.

IMG_2420_zpsc5lp6c3n.jpg

IMG_2423_zpszkb0sgm2.jpg

IMG_2424_zpsjygqbbvm.jpg

IMG_2430_zpsbg5wn1jy.jpg

I then plunked the motor back in the car so we could nail down the intercooler and coil set up.

IMG_2691_zpsirlybzxu.jpg

IMG_2692_zpsstsxkcfx.jpg

Things are pretty tight around here.IMG_2694_zpsl6bxjhaa.jpg

IMG_2719_zpsdno96pxu.jpg

This gives you an  idea of just how tight it really is.

IMG_2731_zpsnoa9ot86.jpg

Andy came up with this after a fair chunk of work.

IMG_2730_zpskwvjb7ds.jpg

It’s now 14 days till race day and the mechanicals are all but done. The basic EFI instal is in the car and things are looking good. I sort a electrical guru I know to fly down from QLD to work his magic over the car and do the tricky ECU stuff. Now here is where the real midnight oil got burnt. We got it all in and started the car with the ECU and loom out of the car on the bench next to it. It started first pull of the cord. Now Jason is a bit like me. Ok is ok but it’s not right. In short over two very long days we rewired the whole back of the car and made 2 new looms for the ECU and body, That’s a very short sentence for a not short job. But it’s now perfect. Sorry there is no pic. I just didn’t have time to stop and take them.

This is the first start up.

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Martin_U/media/IMG_2747_zpstkkeinee.mp4.html?sort=3&o=17

After all that it’s now 7 days to race day. I take the car for a quick drive to check everything over and bam oil leak. No worries I can fix that. Drop motor fix leak put motor back in drive car find leak is still there. Drop motor fix leak, drive car leak is worse. It makes no sense it only leaks under load not free revving or at idle. Anyway I call James from Autohause at 8:30 on a friday night seeking help with very random gaskets. James being the great bloke that he is not only takes my call but also looks up what I needed and helps me out by saying he can’t get to the shop Saturday but can get there Sunday. He knows race cars are race cars and things sometimes just need to happen. I won’t bore you with too many details but in the end it was the breather cover gasket. By this stage I’d been working on the car for 22hrs straight without stopping for food although I did have a beer.

I put the motor back in the car and bolted it all up ready to go in the morning as Jason had to fly back at 13:30 Sunday. Time was now 5:50 am Saturday morning. After a good solid 2 hours and 30 minutes sleep I got back up woke Jason up and we started the car. No leaks but we wouldn’t know until it was driven. Considering the amount of sleep I’d had I asked Andy to come over and check my work. I’m pretty methodical but I know not to trust my tired self. Andy came over and ran a spanner over stuff and found 2 loose bolts. It always pays to check. So in goes the laptop and off we go. It drives really really we even though it’s just well educated guess numbers for a tune. I drive it up the drive way to find a trail of small oil drops. 

I’m shattered. I pretty much just laid on the concrete closed my eyes and had a nap for 15 minutes. At this stage I’d almost given up. I could hardly hold my arms up let alone think very clearly. Here is where good mates come in. Andy tells me if I tell him what needs to happen he will pull the motor out and we will sort it. He drops the motor we replace the offending part and by 2:30am it’s good to drive again. Seeing as it was a little late it was off to bed for some sleep.

9am Sunday we fire it up and go for a drive. Apples no leaks and everything as it should be. Only problem was we had run out of time for Jason to tune the car. My wife who has been very understanding and understands my bloody mindedness drops Jason at the airport while Andy and I do some basic road tuning. I was still so knackered we called it a day at 3p.m and had a couple off beers. We make a few calls to tuners we both trust and sort out Benny from Benchmark to tune the car after hours Monday night. We had to be in Comma Friday so the earlier the better. 

Just for laughs here is where the intake filter ended up..

CD4D0B1B-784F-44D3-A7BB-D5B67ABFB70F_zps

The old bus on the dyno ready to roll. You can see the intercooler ice tank and heat exchanger here.

4C59C5B2-F617-4945-BAD5-EAC7D9D7CE9F_zps

C82183F2-1FD0-4A1E-81EF-2F093284F414_zps

Here is where we ran into the next problem. It would seem that one of  the fuel pumps was dying a slow death and we started to loose fuel pressure as it came onto boost. There was nothing for it but to take the car home and fit a new pump. So that’s just what we did. We got the car home by 11pm and had deleted the factory pumps in favour off a single new Bosch motorsport 044 pump I had as a juuust in case measure all fitted up, new lines made and ready to go by 2am. As you do..

Click here to see the first few runs to 3,500rpm and some little flames...

http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Martin_U/media/85602829-DCCD-468B-8A5E-528E346724BD_zpsrudqj0ts.mp4.html?sort=3&o=5

The next day Andy took the car back for me to finish off the tune we are calling the Paris Hilton tune. Rich and retarded. AFR’s are all in the 10’s at RPM and there is only about 15 degrees of advance running. 

F1E201BF-0DFD-45E4-9221-0651E598BBF3_zps

This is how it ended up at 1 bar of boost. Once we do the e85 tune and add some timing another 75 to 100 RWHP will show up. So that’s about 600U.S RWHP.

650DFD30-3DCF-40A5-B0F8-1C00BF5857C0_zps

In the end we made it with a day or so to spare. I even dove the old bus to work.

2ED23E76-8E41-403E-AAB9-C24917514E4C_zps

I’ll just leave this here for now..

Ok so we made it to the track. I’d logged 150klms on the car to look for faults and nothing came up. What became apparent as you can hear in the first run the short diff ratio in the car is now too short. Great for a stockish car to take away from the inherent lag in a 930 and give it some good punch but with a little power like I have it’s just too short.

I’ll either swap the whole box with someone who wants more performance in a stock car or pull the diff and put in a new diff set. I was backing off and hitting boost cut in that run still running a 23@236.7kph. Next year I with longer gears I think a 21@270 from a standing start over 1 klm is doable. 

The tow rig and the Cayenne..

12274396_1111639862187577_38994674415797

Looks so good in a short skirt.

12291285_918905574825133_739393530017794

12291714_919651768083847_714925949737906

2015-porsche-930t-sm1000-10_zpsbnoiyose.

12316358_10153780259720522_1677967559265

2015-porsche-930t-sm1000-5_zpsktcqumt1.j

12314642_1077669542251782_48466927363481

I’ve bought this one. I’m going to see if I can find someone to print it BIG for my wall.

12342304_883613198421278_224452270053853

5/10’s bloody mindedness 3/10th’s the support of my wife and friends to get things done 1/10th genius 1/10th stupidity. 

Both but most just beating Steamwolf for our yearly bet. I won by 2/10th’s of a second. Funny because we both worked on each others cars to get them there lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got a random text today from a mate of a mate asking if I’d sell. Money is right but I’m not sure I’m done with the car quite yet. I still feel like there are some things I want to fix/make better. Hmmm.

A few more photos seeing how I’m already.

12377670_887389924712860_298139258761906

Sunday fun day.

76003C9C-5CA1-4FB1-9EBC-07BD260F29B2_zps

So I got a random text today from a mate of a mate asking if I’d sell. Money is right but I’m not sure I’m done with the car quite yet. I still feel like there are some things I want to fix/make better. Hmmm.

Could sell if the price is right and "fix/make better" on the next one…..clean slate.

Besides, there will always be "fix/make better" no matter what.  It's a vicious circle.

Just don't do a long hood conversion………

Bah I dunno. The car is properly fast now. It’s at the stage of not needing more power, more power is just a debauched desire.  What it needs now is bigger brakes and suspension to make better use of the retarded power. 

Price is right and enough to buy a Cobra and build the period 60’s club racer spec car I want. No bling just stuff you need. Narrow body,no side pipes,no chrome etc. 

Bah I dunno. The car is properly fast now. It’s at the stage of not needing more power, more power is just a debauched desire.  What it needs now is bigger brakes and suspension to make better use of the retarded power. 

Price is right and enough to buy a Cobra and build the period 60’s club racer spec car I want. No bling just stuff you need. Narrow body,no side pipes,no chrome etc. 

mate, you need side pipes everyone needs side pipes at least once in their car lifetime....

Archived