911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what speeds you get but will this have a negative effect at the Snowy Mountains 1000?

I'm not sure. I'd think at the end of 1000mtrs I'd only juust see the end of 4th. I need a calc to work it out I'd reckon that I'll hit the aero/power brick wall just before the line.

I might run it down the 1/4 mile before then just to see what happens.

I dunno mate I kind of dig the 915 and it's hard to use ways. The 6 speed in the Gemballa took all the I wonder if I'll miss this gear fun out of it.

So I've spoken to Brian over at.... www.930wur.com/

To save mucking around sending my WUR over to the US then him sending it back he is going to look for a core, do the work and get it over to me. Chris from Turbokraft has also said he should be able to get me a core in the next couple of days if Brian hasn't got one by then.

Next is headers. 

Joel from Fabspeed has done me a killer deal on shipping for a set of headers with heat and a zork tube so I'll be placing an order in the next couple of days. 

I'm thinking about pulling the engine to fix a couple of oil leaks so might fit the exhaust at the same time. 

I'm also not saying I'm thinking about a GT35 but I'm thinking about a GT35.

The only thing I don't like about them is how low they seem to sit. A mate has a set on his 1977 911 with a 3.6 in it and we couldn't tie the damn thing down on the dyno the other day because of it. 

Before I order anything I'm going to ask my local guy for quote on a custom made set. 

Yoda seems to think it won't be an issue running oil though the water side. There is also the choice of another TD06-20G. It was the perfect thing on my last car. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so tonight I pulled the factory headers off the car, well most of them. I've got one stuck stud but I'll get that out with some warmth and W.D. There is some massive weight in the stock headers!

Once inside I ordered a nice shiny set of Fabspeed headers with heat and sent Brian an email to see if he had sent him the WUR I bought off Turbokraft to have the mods done yet.

So I try and  a leave some trader feedback in my threads so other get a feel for what they are like. I've got to say Fabspeed have been great to deal with so far. I've been dealing with Joe Neil one of their sales guys. More than happy to help with questions and unlike a lot of U.S guys shipping outside the continental U.S was no drama at all. I had a question about banking so rang them at 9am Philly time and spoke to him. While he didn't have the answer he got it for me very quickly. I sent the cash that night woke up checked my email to find another email from him telling me payment had hit their bank and he had sent them less than an hour later. I had another email from Fed-x saying that had been picked up and then landed at their sorting facility.  A couple of hours later Joe sent me another email to say thanks and if I needed anything else to call him or email. 

Good to see some after sales service. 

Not much really. Fuel head will reach it's limit very soon. I won't replace that I'll just move to EFI. CIS limit is known to be 400 to 450U.SRWHP so ~350AURWHP. 

I'm at more or less 300AURWHP now so after exhaust and WUR I expect around 350ish and that's all she will have captain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cool car and thread Unc! The dyno chart was weird to me. Would be interesting to see the hp and tq on the same chart. That's a ton of difference. You're well on your way to sorting this little puppy out. Looks great to start with and I predict that you will have your hands totally full to the brim shortly. Gunna be fun. You should do a trackday or two with the PCNSW club next year.

So as I said earlier in this thread someplace I like to give a little trader feedback to help others out before they buy stuff.

Turbokraft. I wasn’t overly happy with them when I bought stuff for the Blue turbo off them and to be honest this time was much the same. Great sales service before you hand over the cash but once you pay them they are never in a rush to do anything. Took a couple of emails to see if they had posted the WUR to Brian and about 2 weeks for them to actually post it. Then unlike I asked they posted a very early WUR not a later 87 WUR.

Brian Leask. Can’t say enough good things about him or his service. Really the guy has been fantastic. He as been in constant contact, offered heaps of set up advice that has saved me money and just couldn’t be more helpful. When Turbokraft sent an early less modifiable WUR he spent another day digging around and got hold of a later WUR so we would get the setup I was looking for. He told me not to worry about it and he would be able to use the older one at some point down the track. Then he sends me an email today to say he has posted it here is the tracking number he will send me an invoice later.  A few hours later I get an invoice with a discount because it took him longer than expected to do the job. This is probably some of the best service I’ve ever had working on car for the last 20 odd years.

My engine is an 87. The later WUR the better. Turbokraft said they would send the latest one they had on the shelf. Brian even called them to confirm what he needed. Sorted now but more than a little slack of Chris.

I worked till 1am last night at real work so I gave myself the time today to fit the headers up before heading into work. My guess is the Seppo's sooking about Fadspeed being hard to fit or poor fitment use a 4lb hammer to put in a 3/8th nail if you get my drift.

The fitment was very exact. I hung one side just on the studs with a couple of nuts and then put the slip joint together in the centre and raised the other side up to the studs. The slip joint is so tight I had to give it a little hit of WD40 to allow the pipes to move together. Once you have that done you just keep working each side till it pop’s into place. Then torque it up evenly until the sleeves have located into the heads and you’re done. Nothing hard about it you just need to take your time and not expect it to fall onto the heads. I did have to tickle the fitment of the turbo a little but that took all of 10 minutes.  

One thing that is a little rubbish in the stainless braided hose they supply. Drip tank hose was perfect but the big hose running from the engine to the thermostat should be a couple of inches longer for better fitment. It works but I’m not overly happy with it and will prolly get a short extension made.  

Archived