911/30 Hotrod. Yeah, again.

Cheers Harvs.

Got out for a bit of a drive this morning just for the sake of it. It's the first time I've had a chance to give it run on some corners since buying the car. 11ty times more killdeathy than the Gemballa but 50nty hundred times more involving to drive. This is exactly what I'd missed about the blue car. Not the car itself but the driving. I just didn't have to think about going fast in the Gem it was all too easy. Point shoot repeat. Boost coming on was really strong but very smooth with bugger all lag. The 930 will still pull quite hard to get to the boost threshold but once it gets there is not smooth at all. It feels like twice the power in a couple of hundred RPM and that's what makes it so fun yet killdeathy. I love it. My Blue car made around the same power but with the TD06 the boost felt more progressive and the 5 speed box allowed you to hold it at the exact RPM you wanted to be at in a corner so once past the apex you could lean on it and use the weight over the back wheels to drive out of corners at crazy speeds. 

The rear squat as it comes on boost is hilarious but rubbish at the same time. It has new Billies in the back but I think some coilovers might be the go for holding it a bit flatter. What makes it and other 930's so hard to drive fast in slow corners is keeping the rev's past 3,000RPM so it's on boost when you need it. With the 4spd box you are doing a fair turn of speed just in 2nd@3000RPM when you consider 4th gear will wind out to 300. I had a try of 1st gear@4000rpm exiting a favourite hairpin that resulted in 285's being turned into mush at the first application of WOT and understeer city as I crossed over the camber of the road and it was trying to left the front wheels. Again coilvers would help a bunch here.

After that little drive I thought I'd head over the JB HiFi and pick up a suction cup kit for my GoPro so I can recorded some lol's and get some flamage footage. On the way I had some fun with a bloke driving what I think was an E90 M3. I only saw it getting smaller each time we had a run. We had a couple of roll ons onto Freeway on ramps from about 60ish with him sitting a couple of meters from my bumper each time. 60 is more of less bang on 3,000RPM in 1st so it's boost a-hoy till 6,800rpm then 2nd for as long as you dare...

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone needs more killdeathy in their lives (in a good way). Martin what sort of mods have already been made to the motor other than the turbo and intercooler? I feel I'm not getting enough killdeathy on my drives.

Nath,just a 1 bar gate spring as far as I know. I'd say my car weighs a good few kilo's that your car though. 

I'm going to try and get it on a dyno for a baseline measurement in the next few weeks so that should tell the power story. I'll start keeping my eye out for a 3.2ltr manifold now. 

There's one in Canberra. They guy I messaged you about with the SC bumpers also has one. Pm if you want details.

Nath,just a 1 bar gate spring as far as I know. I'd say my car weighs a good few kilo's that your car though.

I'm going to try and get it on a dyno for a baseline measurement in the next few weeks so that should tell the power story. I'll start keeping my eye out for a 3.2ltr manifold now.

Forgive my ignorance, 3.2 manifold = better airflow? Not sure if there is a difference between 930 and my motor in terms of manifold. I think they are the same. One of these days I'll get my intercooler out of the way for a good look.

Forgive my ignorance, 3.2 manifold = better airflow? Not sure if there is a difference between 930 and my motor in terms of manifold. I think they are the same. One of these days I'll get my intercooler out of the way for a good look.

yah. we get the best intercooler, but still the pancake 930 intake manifold and CIS i believe :(

K29 is currently on the purple thing being totally under utilised with the stock o.7 bar wastegate spring <_<

Pancake manifold and CIS is not the best for flow and a 3.2 manifold is leaps and bounds ahead of them for flow. You can also run modern efi. Current injectors fit the injector bosses etc.

LOL I'd also put my hand up for K29 deathkilly shenanigans!

Yeah I will but right now I'm just enjoying the car and not working on anything. It runs great now so I'll prolly just wait for the first CIS problem to raise it's head and then I'll take it all out and do the swap.

I'll either run a Motec M600 or a Haltech 2000 series. While the sprint500 did the job on the old car it is quite limited on input/output and is clearly built to a cost level. I still have a bit of a foul taste in my mouth from Haltech and the whole ECU plug thing...

I know where there is a unlocked M600 that is sort of kinda for sale. My main issue with a Motech is getting it tuned. I'll use Dale to tune it and he is a Haltech guy. So, you know.

seems a waste to go to anything like an Elite 'cause it has so many features you wouldn't use.

there is something cool about the MFI turbos, but I say that without ever having had to work on/tune one.

have you already started planning the water spray?

Archived