And one became two....I've bought another one

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks great.

Don't mind the headlight surrounds too much. If you got them to the point where the sun could reflect off them into other peoples eyes and burn the image of your car into their retinas, then I see no problem with them what so ever  ^_^

That has to be one of the best log books I've almost ever seen.

The surgery has already been arranged. That and the seats are going.

What!  Traitor!

I still cant accept how wrong the US headlight surrounds are. It should be a crime to still run them..............

Blasphemy!

The car looks awesome - such a great combination.

For now, will keep those mirrors as they work. They are stage two issues (unless you have a spare kicking around)

Theres some Durant style copies on ebay if ya not too fussed.

Very nice car too, congrats

I flew to Brisbane today just to attend the Man Cave morning (and to lay eyes on the car).   That is me in the photo wearing the silly grin.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

15716443709_244a9a6583_o.jpgMy silly grin by byronbaychris, on Flickr

Feedback from the PCQ members is that it is a stunning car.     Even better than I had imagined.   I get it in around 2 weeks.......can't wait. !!!

Is that enough happy faces ? :P

Looks awesome Chris.

Conditions looks good from the pics.  Any/much rust?

Are you going to keep the wing mirrors, or change to round durrant style?

Doug,

The wing mirrors were standard on this car, so I will keep them.   The Durrant style were option on 72 (not sure on 73), so happy to keep the flags on the car.

Car looks great Chris. A very big Congratulations. Glad you are tossing the headlights though :)

I see in the log book the car lived in Boise Idaho. Is that in the snow belt of the US?

Thanks Chris,

Yes, the car spent 42 years in Boise Idaho.   It had three owners who lived within a couple of miles of each other.   They appear to have been friends  - and I am trying to make contact to get some history.

As for the snow belt, yes it is right up there with the best of them.   Boise has a total of 50cm of snow each year and 5 months of no-snow.  However, we have found a little surface rust in the headlights....nothing else yet.  Fingers crossed.

• 1 month later...

I just spoke to my friendly accountant who asked me how's the new car....

I HAVEN'T GOT IT YET. There. I said it.

It's waiting for the speedo to be overlaid in kph so it can be registered......and it has not yet cone back from the outsourced company (I'm going to call them the "evil outsourcers")

Shop reopens on Jan 13......Just gotta get my grubby little hands on the speedo, then I'm right to go.

Doug,

The wing mirrors were standard on this car, so I will keep them.   The Durrant style were option on 72 (not sure on 73), so happy to keep the flags on the car.

Fair enough.

I have read that the rectangular mirrors were standard for USA from '71 onwards but not introduced in Australia until '74.

As part of the regulations I have just read regarding LHD or import rego requirements, 'All facets of the vehicles originality must be retained'.

It does my head in sometimes

And what does that actually mean ?? Not allowed to replace worn and ugly seats or fugly headlight surrounds ?

Haha, thats my point.

You have to maintain its originality, yet you can't have slightly faded paint or seats and interior that look badly worn or damaged, so it has to fixed or replaced!

Maybe they should reword it to say 'It must LOOK original and parts can be replaced that resembles the original, but they cannot be modified'.

Other thing I got told was the Knecht air filters that are fitted to my engine.

Bloke says they didnt come out with those filters, only the snorkel type in that year. Crap, I have checked on various forums and historical data with photos as to what is the original equipment, and Knecht filters WERE fitted by the factory in 1966.

I've printed out the page to take with me when I get it inspected

Bloody frustrating

I think you'll be fine, I doubt there'll be an anorak in a Transport department that knows the difference between air filters.

it'd be interesting if they made people keep the US spec headlights tho

Archived