'Investing' in a Porsche

LeeM

Gotcha, understanding the rational!  ;)

Life would be a tad dull me thinks. :)

Re Tassieman, different stages in life. Just turned 40, a 2 year old and a 13 year old. Owning my cars is a bit of a self indulgence. She's doesn't complain about it, but if I wasted money on new ones that depreciate quickly I'm sure I'd hear about it! 

All this talk is making me re-think my Porsche ownership ....If I'm lucky I take it out once every 2 weeks and it seems to be a lot of money sitting there. Maybe it's time to consider another investment property .....

I did say it would be a can of worms ... damn you PFA thread ......

All this talk is making me re-think my Porsche ownership ....If I'm lucky I take it out once every 2 weeks and it seems to be a lot of money sitting there. Maybe it's time to consider another investment property .....

what is this talk? take that dirty mouth of yours outside!

Good luck in finding a rental property that doesn't lose more money than a Porsche!

Buying Porsches is smarter than loading up on negatively geared properties, because at least with one you're smiling while you lose money.

WOW! Many thanks to all of you for your contribution. It really has made me think twice about it.

Yes, I am an impatient bloke (re 912 resto), yet after all of your advice (this is why I asked in the first place) I'll hang off with buying a 911.

I obviously hadn't really thought it through well enough, and your comments make perfect financial sense to not drop a wedge of cash on something that MAY increase in value in 10 years time.

I suppose in the back (or the middle) of my mind, I was in love with the idea of owning my 912 AND a 911, and having them as assets, not just weekend toys.

Again.many thanks for all of your replies, it is appreciated 

SO! How about an 8 grand 944? I know of a good one!   ;)

Cheers all

Good luck in finding a rental property that doesn't lose more money than a Porsche!

Buying Porsches is smarter than loading up on negatively geared properties, because at least with one you're smiling while you lose money.

All of you are right in what you are saying, but like I said in an earlier post, a Porsche won't give me an income for my old age .... and like a previous post above, I'll find it hard to even get in it in my old age ....

It's discussions like this that get me thinking about selling, but then I open the garage and think, what are you thinking.....

If I'm lucky I take it out once every 2 weeks and it seems to be a lot of money sitting there....

Aaaaah, but when you open the garage door and see it sitting there, and in your mind you're saying to yourself 'Thats mine!

Kinda puts it in perspective I reckon

Live for today, not tomorrow

Don't be silly... I haven't even put 1000 km's on mine this year! Hell I've probably done most my mileage for the year in rentals  :ph34r:

BUT there is no way I'll be selling it.... I do get how you feel, but at the end of it.. all it takes is that one drive! And every drive is an event  :)

Generally speaking any investment is a form of gambling, and my extent is usually limited to a lottery ticket now and a again.

IMO based on my experiences, buying one classic Porsche maintaining it (rego,insurance,general service, loan costs etc. would in most cases not provide a significant return if any, on your investment. Although the right car at the right price over a period of time possibly could, if all the moons were aligned etc.

From what I believe the Bowden collection is maintained (in part at least) by the buying and selling of classic/ historic cars, but on level that would be beyond the reach of most of us.

In May 2013 I had access to small a lump sum (so no loan fee/ costs) which I used to by my 1978 911 SC, I probably could have put that money to paying down a home loan or putting it into my super. Some may say that would have been a wise investment, but I was not looking to invest it nor was I looking to blow it on a whim.

So 18 months later after buying the car, and paying out for rego,insurance,stamp duty, repairs, service etc. if I sold it today would I make a profit? Probably but not just as the market has increased but also as the car is (even though I say so myself) a far better one than I bought. Investment? Yes definitely! in my sanity and well being:) the 9000km of fun I've had. Well that's just "PRICELESS" and of course meeting all the nice people on PFA too.

Quite relevant the price of the top end of the collectables 356, 2.7RS, RSR, and other pre 73 cars etc has a ripple effect , look at the recent and continuing rise in price of original air cooled cars.

Graeme

Archived