Vic speeders

tazzieman

Was very wary whilst travelling through your state a couple of weeks ago. And avoided all of the CBD.

Wouldn't want to meet someone travelling 41km/h in the opposite direction

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/speeding-vic-drivers-net-govt-300m/story-e6frfku9-1227104312888

SPEEDING Victorian drivers have added almost $300 million to the state's coffers in the last year.

DESPITE being switched on less than four months ago, the state's fixed cameras in 40 or 50 km/h zones have proved the most successful, with 90,000 drivers raising $20.5 million in fines, Fairfax reports.

According to Justice Department figures, about 228 people a day, or 27,138, coughed up a total of $6.6 million by speeding through a 40 km/h along two CBD streets.
More than 22,000 sped through a 40 km/h zone in St Kilda, raising $5.2 million in revenue.

Almost 1.3 million drivers were fined last year with the total collected by the government adding up to $298.9 million.

The RACV says the cameras should be placed only at accident blackspots.
"The speed limit signage has to ensure drivers are aware of and reminded of the low limits that are in place," said RACV roads and traffic manager Dave Jones.

It worked as in it slowed drivers down? or as in it made the gov profit? 

if it made the gov profit i don't think it slowed many drivers down!!! Makes me sick. the RACV is correct.. 

I stand with my argument that speed cameras don't save lives. If someone speeds past a camera, gets flashed then hits a pole/tree ect and dies. It didn't save his life.. What if he was only 5ks over in a 40 zone and there was oil on the road car slipped onto on comng traffic and causes a major accident. 

I rather be 5 ks over and paying full attention to the road rather than every 5 seconds looking at my speedo making sure i'm not over. 

I know that one in St Kilda they are referring too. It goes off constantly, couldn't believe the amount of pictures it took in a 10-15 min period. Astounding.

money making machine. 

And the worm can has been opened!!  There is no doubt that speed cameras have slowed drivers down in the last 10 years overall.  Not due to an awareness to road safety but more an awareness to the dint in the wallet.  Speed cameras do not save lives. I agree.  The Vic Govt spruik that the road toll has come down due to there ever dilligent road safety campaign. Bullshit, yes the road toll has dropped but they dont tell you about the huge increase in serious injury collisions as cars become safer.  Instead of being dead you spend the rest of your life with an acquired brain injury.   Anyone issued with a penalty notice for exceeding the speed limit has the right to have the matter heard by the magistrates court.  If only 10% of people contested their ticket the magistrates court would come to a sudden halt.  As the statute of limitation in Victoria for a summary offence is 12 months.  I will leave it at that!!

Cheers Steve.

There is a Govt Gold Mine (sorry - Safety Camera) near my office that is 40kmh zone near a Tafe college. Yes - a Tafe college where the minimum age of those attending would be 17 or 18 years of age who should know how to be careful around traffic at an intersection.

Doesn't stop them running across the road against the lights, or even crossing within 20 metres of the corner. Motorists apparently are responsible for not killing these idiots.

The flasher works overtime here as drivers accelerate to go up the hill on the other side of the lights.

There is a Govt Gold Mine (sorry - Safety Camera) near my office that is 40kmh zone near a Tafe college. Yes - a Tafe college where the minimum age of those attending would be 17 or 18 years of age who should know how to be careful around traffic at an intersection.

Doesn't stop them running across the road against the lights, or even crossing within 20 metres of the corner. Motorists apparently are responsible for not killing these idiots.

The flasher works overtime here as drivers accelerate to go up the hill on the other side of the lights.

This sounds like the situation on Warrigal rd in Holmesglen.  3 crossings within 150metres and the 17-25 year old TAFE student  zombies with their eyes glued to their phones still wander across without any regard for cars on the road.  The speed was recently reduced to 40kmh which gives drivers a better chance to stop but also made it easier for the zombies to play frogger.  The only winner has been the speed camera at the intersection. Epileptics beware.

What they won't detail is the overall accident rate.  I'm not sure this statistic is even collected (the cynic in me says it is not recorded for a reason).

Anecdotally, the rate of accidents has increased.  While the road toll (deaths) has decreased, it can be argued that this is due to improved roads, and an improvement in vehicle safety technology and build.  If speed cameras were effective, the accident rate would be lower in proportion to the road toll.

Just wait til electric cars hit the scene ; the young (& increasingly older) zombies listening to music via headphones will be deaf also = more accidents.

Add a few cyclists and ice addicts

You see , even as a grumpy old man I'm doing my part to reduce accidents - "loud pipes save lives". 

I drive through the intersection of Williams and Flinders every day and have done so for the last 18 years. I got done twice in the first 2 weeks of them switching the speed cameras on. I knew they were there and didn't know they weren't on. This is going to make me look stupid but I was shocked to discover the CBD had been a 40 zone for 2 years. But I'm not stupid, I'm human. It had been 12 years since my last ticket so I'm not a compulsive speeder. I just never noticed the 40 signs and there are a lot of them. That section of Flinders St isn't a natural 40 zone being dual lane, train line down one side, no shops down the other side. There's a reason why it's the most lucrative camera in the state. I personally have never seen or heard of any incidents at the intersection...

Irony is having a long facebook argument on speed cameras at homesglen intersection with a lady that just says "just don't speed" only to find put she got fined at that intersection after our discussion.

Lol "just don't speed"

If speed cameras work then revenue should be zero, otherwise people are still speeding.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned how many accidents have been caused by speed cameras. That's a study we wont see soon. I know there's been a number of times that I've had to slam on the anchors even though I'm below the speed limit because someone has seen a speed camera and done the mighty tap out of fear. I've been lucky enough to never be in an accident when there has been a hard brake around speed cameras but I've seen plenty of cars do the newtons cradle to each other. Of course I'm sure this goes into the statistics and say we need to drop the speed here because people keep having accidents on these stretches of roads which are "policed" by cameras.

Surprised that nobody has mentioned how many accidents have been caused by speed cameras. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300830/Speed-cameras-caused-28-000-accidents-decade.html

Speed cameras have triggered at least 28,000 crashes since 2001, according to new research.   

The devices also cause motorists to drive erratically, to not concentrate on the road and to brake suddenly when one comes into sight, a study has revealed.

More than 80 per cent of drivers said they look at their speedometers rather than the cars in front when they approach a speed camera, a poll by insurance company LV revealed.

A third of more than 1,500 motorists quizzed said they had witnessed an accident or a near-miss as a result of drivers' erratic behaviour caused by the machines.

And five per cent admitted they brake suddenly to avoid getting a fine, risking rear-end shunts.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2337208/Speed-cameras-increase-risk-fatal-crashes-New-RAC-investigation-raises-doubts-usefulness.html

Speed cameras are increasing the risk of a fatal or serious accident in some areas, a study suggests.

It highlights a number of sites where collision rates have risen ‘markedly’ since cameras were put in place.

The study raises new doubts about the usefulness of speed cameras.

Somebody will hit someone else who's slammed on the anchors.

The cause will be proven by law to be the installation of the speed camera , possibly even the inventor of the camera , knowing how assy the law can be.

The worm can will then be upturned.

Think the law will more likely say inadequate separation or distracted driver before it goes back to the speed camera. Only when it's proven in court that we are paying attention to our gauges more than the road we can finally raise the argument that.

It's sad that driver training isn't like flight training where the number one rule is "fly the plane" everything else comes seconds - that means don't look at guages when there's things you need to be aware of going on outside. That means having high levels of situational awareness when approaching and proceeding through an intersection in a car and not worrying about your possible minuscule speed above the limit as your travelling through.

Speed cameras are actually a symptom of a broken federation model.

It's one of the few ways state governments can raise revenue.

If you let state governments set and collect their own income tax (still collected by the ATO, but distributed back to the state) then they could raise as much as they liked.

The first state to take it too far and hike it to 90% income would find a lot of residents departing.

And then we'd have some competitive federalism underway.

Remind me again of why we have a federal dept of education that has no schools, or a federal dept of health that has no doctors? That money could be going to state depts of education and health, and lessening the need to state governments to fine the living daylights out of their residents.

All the while people keep voting for more free stuff from governments, they're going to come up with unique and interesting ways of collecting the dough.  Maximum amount of plucking with minimum of hissing, that's the game they're on.  That's why we have lots of speed cameras. Because lots of people an apply for juicy grants, subsidies, benefits and programs, all the while feeling smug because some lunatic going 41kmh in a 40 zone is paying for it.  No other reason.

It's sad that driver training isn't like flight training where the number one rule is "fly the plane" everything else comes seconds - that means don't look at guages when there's things you need to be aware of going on outside. That means having high levels of situational awareness when approaching and proceeding through an intersection in a car and not worrying about your possible minuscule speed above the limit as your travelling through.

Not many pilots areN'T sdaehkcid though. 

BIG EDIT*

Archived