Tyres: Anyone experienced Hankook Ventus R-S3 (Semi-Slick)

D-banger

I am just putting out there to see if anyone has any opinions on the Hankook Ventus R-S3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3

I am looking for a tyre that would be used 5% city driving, 90% SMT and 5% track.

I know the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec are highly recommended by (993) guys on PFA.  I thought I would have a look around to see what else was offered in the semi-slick range.  The Hankook R-S3 is highly rated in dry conditions but is reported to fall down a bit in the wet, which doesn't concern me too much as I wouldn't be hammering along in the wet anyway.  I have also priced them up at my local jaxquickfit and they are priced at around 2/3 rds that of the Direzza Star Spec.

Reviews,

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1401-the-best-200-treadwear-tires-test/

From what I hear they are a good tyre for the price.

Don't mess about Doug, unless you drive in heavy rain get the Dunlop DZO3Gs.

The amount of ks you do a year they will last you two.

All the best with it :)

I am just putting out there to see if anyone has any opinions on the Hankook Ventus R-S3.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+R-S3

I am looking for a tyre that would be used 5% city driving, 90% SMT and 5% track.

I know the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec are highly recommended by (993) guys on PFA.  I thought I would have a look around to see what else was offered in the semi-slick range.  The Hankook R-S3 is highly rated in dry conditions but is reported to fall down a bit in the wet, which doesn't concern me too much as I wouldn't be hammering along in the wet anyway.  I have also priced them up at my local jaxquickfit and they are priced at around 2/3 rds that of the Direzza Star Spec.

Reviews,

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/monsters-of-grip-nine-summer-performance-tires-tested-comparison-test

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/wheels-tires/1401-the-best-200-treadwear-tires-test/

Hi D-banger,

I have used the RS3 's for a couple of years now on my 993 C4.

Street driving they take a few minutes to warm up and flex abit. straight sidewalls! then great response and excellent for spirited driving like an SMT.

On the track, both Motorkhana and supersprints , I find them very grippy and with lots of margin at the limit.

They have lasted well as they are my first "learning set" of semi slicks and have taken plenty of punishment.

Lastly I have never had to feel hesitant on a wet track or road as there water shedding ability has been outstanding.

cheers

I have a set of Hankook Ventus RS3 on the track rims for my Integra Type R.

The price is very good relative to a set of Toyo R888s or Yokohama A048 and as a road tyre the Hankook is not quite as comprised, they get up to heat reasonably quickly and are not ridiculous in the wet.

TBH though on the track I found them disappointing, they were a bit squirmy on the limit and didn't give me a great sense of confidence. My normal road Tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 3) were faster and provided more confidence.  However the Michelin took much more punishment and tread was more worn down,

In my experience the Hankook is what it claims to be, a good value compromise tyre which is good at road, track and wet without being great at any one of them.  I knew it going in and they were the best I could afford at the time.

Personally I would not put them on my 996, the extra speed, acceleration and weight of my 996 compared to the Integra means the squirminess in the tyres is something I could do without :)

As mentioned above, the RS3's are comparable with the R888's in terms of price - both are pretty good value and I'd say will well outperform any 'non semi slick' road tyres in the dry, not they are that bad in the wet either (but I don't really drive in the wet so can't comment!).

The Dunlop's as Vas mentioned above are the next level but I'd also be looking at the advan (Yokohama) as they are slightly cheaper than the dunlops and unless you are being super competitive on the track you'd be hard pressed to discount them. I did PI yesterday on a well used set and still was amazed at the level of grip and feedback they give - as this is where I'm most interested. Especially in a 911, I want to have some feedback on the limit as some tyres (R888's have a reputation for this) will provide loads of grip and then just let go.

For the extra few hundred I could only now recommend the advan or dunlops, much cheaper than the potential consequence of an off

Road excursion!

(Speaking from an earlier 911 perspective, things might be different for the 993)

Hankook RS3 are usually cheaper than Toyo R888's by a couple of hundred dollars. In my experience the R888s are better on the track and provide more absolute grip than the RS3. However they give far less warning when they let go, on a 911 this usually means a spin :)

On the track the RS3 loses grip earlier and does it with some warning.

Hi guys thanks for the feedback.

My 993 is still wearing the Yokohama S.Drive that were fitted by the PO. they are coming to the end of their life (time wise) at 4-5 years old. I am sure that any semi slick would out perform these.

I am not racing so I don't think I can justify $ for a track/Tarmac tyre so that it why I looked to the semi slick as a compromise between performance and price.

Having said all that, with the value of air cooled these days I should not be thinking too much through my hip pocket.

Once again, thanks for feedback,

Doug

I'm going to be in a similar position shortly re the 964. It's got toyos on it at the moment that have plenty of tread but they screech at quite low speed, seem to let go (and screech even louder!) when pushed but worst of all is the road noise.

Not sure if I'll go a dedicated road tyre or semi slick, interested to hear what decision you make with the 993 - keep us posted.

One of my mates runs the RS3's on his Supra and swears by them, they are more of a summer performance than semi though and a little more progressive when they start to go off. I'm running the Z221's which is the next set up and they seem to be running pretty well.

Have a chat to Russell from Victorian Motorsport Tyres in Bayswater as he sells the Hankook range. He helped fix me up and provides tyres for one of my other mates who a driver in the Victorian Rally Championship. He might even do a PCV discount.

Otherwise Donnellans Box Hill might have some going super cheap as they are trying to get rid of their Hankook semis (thanks to Mark for the heads up on that one).

Otherwise Donnellans Box Hill might have some going super cheap as they are trying to get rid of their Hankook semis (thanks to Mark for the heads up on that one).

The owner Mark of Donnellans Box Hill and the rest of the staff are a pack of idiots.

Just dont ask them (even very politely) to check manufacture dates or for the tyre fitter to be careful

with your rims as they might get upset with you and throw your keys back at you !!!!!!

Their wheel alignment on my car was way out with one side negative camber and the other positive, couldnt understand why it was handling so bad after new tyres and an alignment until I had it checked elsewhere.

Others and freinds have had similar experiences.

Thanks for the info Mike. Jaxqf gave a 2 month wait list, which I thought was a bit odd.

I might give Vic Motorsport Tyres a call for pricing and availability. I haven't made any final decision yet. Car is still at Paint & Custom.

Jim thanks for the heads up.

I have to say I wish all tyres were available from multiple shops.

This thread is good timing - I'm thinking about changing the tyres on my 964.  It has Direzza 03G's on it which I'm sure are great track tyres (yet tp try them out!), but they are noisy or at least I think it's the tyres that are noisy.

The plan is to take them off for road use and if I get to a track then I can put them back on for the day.

For road use what are you guys recommending for 964's - sizes I need are 265/35/18 and 245/40/18.  I'm after a good road tyre with minimal road noise.  Car is not a daily driver so long wearing is not so important.

Ps. I hope this helps the discussion - I thought it best to add to this thread rather than start a new one.

This thread is good timing - I'm thinking about changing the tyres on my 964.  It has Direzza 03G's on it which I'm sure are great track tyres (yet tp try them out!), but they are noisy or at least I think it's the tyres that are noisy.

The plan is to take them off for road use and if I get to a track then I can put them back on for the day.

For road use what are you guys recommending for 964's - sizes I need are 265/35/18 and 245/40/18.  I'm after a good road tyre with minimal road noise.  Car is not a daily driver so long wearing is not so important.

Ps. I hope this helps the discussion - I thought it best to add to this thread rather than start a new one.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Jim - Your spot on my experience with Mark was pretty average. But saying that my experience with Donnellans in Collingwood have been positive and they also gave me pretty good price (many years ago now) on Bridgestone ES2A.

All on this thread - I have just swapped over to Michelin PS2 - 235/40/18 & 285/30/18 and I got a pretty good price for them - $1620 from Bridgestone in Balwyn. Its too early to provide feedback but they are quieter than the bridgestones I have run in the past (ES2A).

I have tried multiple tires now and my general experience has been to stick with Birdgestones ES2A when available (i have run 3 sets) but unfortunately they are no longer available and the price for the new equivalent in my sizes were quite expensive. I have only heard good things about the Michelins especially in europe and US. I understand the super sport is supposed to be pretty good as well.

On a side note this thread was talking about Dunlop Direzza - I run Direzza on my race wheels and they are fantastic. grip, wear rates have been pretty good. I have used one set for about 8 - 10 track days and they still have some life left in the them.

I have had friends who have run the Advan and they are good but the wear rates seem very high in comparison and also don't seem to suit the heavier rear engined porsches as well as the more traditional front engine cars.

I also have a used set of Direzza 245/40/18 if anyone is interested and happy to do them cheap as they no longer will be used.

I also have a near brand new set of 265/30/18 (one track day by previous owner) for an attractive price - The size is too small for my rear tires which is why I'm looking to sell them.

I have fitted plenty of S002 Bridgestone to 911's and run them on the 325i!

They are a great value for money tyre and work even better, In the wet when they are unbelievably good and in the first half of their life there has to be a flood to feel it!

Overall a great tyre!!   

Thanks for all the feedback.

Both the Michelin PSS and the Advan ADO8 are reviewed very highly.

Mike I will do some research on the Bridgestone S002, which until now have not been on my radar.

Tyres are a very personal choice and personal priorities are going to govern the final decision. For my use dry performance is the highest priority for which I am prepared to sacrifice road noise and ride comfort being as the car is predominabntly a SMT car.

I've been looking at nitto NT03. 

There are so many tyres out there to choose from. 

But you want something like 200 tread wear. They are mostly street semi slicks. the R888 are more for the track but are road legal and are 100 tread wear. which means it'll take twice as quick to wear out. 

Most " Ultra high performance summer" tyre are around 270-300 tread wear. which are the next step to street tyre after the road semi slick like the direzza DZII. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been looking at nitto NT03. 

There are so many tyres out there to choose from. 

But you want something like 200 tread wear. They are mostly street semi slicks. the R888 are more for the track but are road legal and are 100 tread wear. which means it'll take twice as quick to wear out. 

Most " Ultra high performance summer" tyre are around 270-300 tread wear. which are the next step to street tyre after the road semi slick like the direzza DZII. 

my nt03's are faster than the R888's they replaced  but wear much faster.

though come to think of it, i am not sure many semi slicks are as durable as R888's.

Archived