Latest barn find

Dreamr

wow, and double wow to see them all left to rot

"Chris Evans bought one of the Ferraris in 2008 and is believed to have paid up to £5.5million for the classic sports car"

How is a breakfast radio show host able to afford a 5.5mil quid car (or collection of cars in this case!)???

wow, and double wow to see them all left to rot

"Chris Evans bought one of the Ferraris in 2008 and is believed to have paid up to £5.5million for the classic sports car"

How is a breakfast radio show host able to afford a 5.5mil quid car (or collection of cars in this case!)???

Chris Evans is more than a radio announcer - he also owns production companies for TV and radio, and bought part of a radio station off Richard Branson when he sold it, then later sold the station for something like 200 million. He's like a cross between Kyle sandilands and Eddie Maguire.

I like Chris Evans, all the jokes about painting them all white and then theres this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxWMYcPX27s

Not so much a barn more a lean to, some of those cars are going to need alot of work :( some awesome stuff in there though

I actually like him as well. I admire his one-finger salute to those who tell him how to live his life, and the fact that he bought a radio station during one of his periods of unemployment due to outraging whoever was paying his bills at the time. The sandilands comparison was because he is always getting kicked off the air for saying unsayable things, and the Maguire comparison because he is quite a mover and shaker and has fingers in many pies.

Getting back on thread....did anyone see the picture of the said 250 gto with newspapers stacked on top? I don't mean - using newspapers for a dust cover - I mean actually stacking piles of them.

That said I detect a certain amount of storytelling in the barn find - the auctioneer certainly generated a lot of free press by getting this story out there. Given the rarity of some of these cars I find the story a little hard to accept at face value.

Who knows.

When i look at cars like these i wonder what you would actually be buying in some of the cases? They look decrepit and i imagine you would have to have all or many of the parts made from machine shops. The end result wouldn't be the same as the original although it may look the same. It would be a love affair that only suits an extremely small number of car owners.

Good luck to anyone who sees this as a treasure trove.

Harold,

It was determined that only about 40 of these cars were salvageable ..... the others will have to be scrapped or used for parts.

I imagine that the one Steamwolf was asking about would be one of the latter ...

It's such a travesty that things like this happen ..... the intentions start out right but end in such tragedy ...

There are probably some ultra rare cars there that are now lost forever ......

It's just lucky that everything we want can be bought in a shop, with no actual direct effort other than the purchasing decision, hey! Craftsmen and restorers are so silly.  Satisfaction and enjoyment from physical tasks is so, I don't know... common.  :P

Harold,

It was determined that only about 40 of these cars were salvageable ..... the others will have to be scrapped or used for parts.

I imagine that the one Steamwolf was asking about would be one of the latter ...

It's such a travesty that things like this happen ..... the intentions start out right but end in such tragedy ...

There are probably some ultra rare cars there that are now lost forever ......

Well...

The cars that have a salvage cost below market value will be restored and re-used (or at least redisplayed)

The ones that are destined for parts will at least keep others on the roads

Even a non-salvageable car has posterity value.  I think it's increasingly important to maintain some of the industrial history of the 20th century.   Having toured a few museums in my time, even non-running, half missing cars can be interesting enough just to view how things were and how things have changed.  If you've got visible signs of a life lived, more the better.

And don't forget - while the big $ rare cars make the news, for every expensive car, there a magnitude more economic basket cases, owners who are miles underwater and yet continue to spend time and money on their car, keeping or restoring it.

Overall I agree that the storage of cars with good intentions is often a terrible thing.  But the cost of good storage is expensive over time and a lot of time there is speculation as to the future value of the car - not every car will end up worthwhile, and ironically it can be the once-loathed or forgotten vehicles that turn out to be more collectible over time, and cars that are a sure winner turn out to not be so.

23C3F9E800000578-2862095-Auctioneers_and

I have no idea but it is stance'd 

Love to see someone produce something like this nowadays - great flowing lines and ludicrous use of wheelbase.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived