Buying a 911 to drive or leave in the shed

Carrera86

I have been looking for a few years now ,

Yesterday  i just missed out getting a 911 2.2s  1969, Not that its now  a case of sour grapes

but i was thinking i would most likely enjoy driving a 993 turbo or a 996 turbo, more fun to have and drive .

I have had a 911 s  before and it was great .....

Thoughts anyone .....?

:o  Buy a 911 to drive, not leave in the shed!

After 10 years of looking (and numerous cars in between) I made a snap decision one morning on eBay and it's the best decision I've ever made (sight unseen, no PPI, just asked if the head studs and chain tensioners were done).

and what hepkat63 said, get into something now

I have a feeling with the way the market is going it'll be like musical chairs and the music will stop and we're all stuck with the cars we have (unless you're fairly well off)

How can we determine what is most enjoyable for you?

Bacon is yummy but some people hate it, or are opposed to it!

Just get out and drive a few,  in all conditions.

who are these people that hate bacon you speak of?

Guest Harold

What's the point in having a 911 if you're not going to drive it. 

I think everyone drives them but some (like me) use them infrequently as they are stuck at work most of their life. I get a great deal of joy looking at the thing sitting in the garage each morning. Also, i am of the view 'if you pay the dough, you run the show' and I paid for the car.

All the best and this is just my own view, not meaning to impose it on anyone else.

I am like Harold, full time 911 owner, casual user.. :lol:  There's nothing wrong with that IMO, we gotta pay for our habits somehow!

I like that one Harold! :D

+ 1. That's a good mantra! 

:o  Buy a 911 to drive, not leave in the shed!

After 10 years of looking (and numerous cars in between) I made a snap decision one morning on eBay and it's the best decision I've ever made (sight unseen, no PPI, just asked if the head studs and chain tensioners were done).

and what hepkat63 said, get into something now

I have a feeling with the way the market is going it'll be like musical chairs and the music will stop and we're all stuck with the cars we have (unless you're fairly well off)

who are these people that hate bacon you speak of?

mmmm BACON

Now I know I'm going to cop it cause I don't drive mine enough,  Buy It Drive It Enjoy It.............

Yesterday  i just missed out getting a 911 2.2s  1969, Not that its now  a case of sour grapes

but i was thinking i would most likely enjoy driving a 993 turbo or a 996 turbo, more fun to have and drive .

Thoughts anyone .....?

I too was looking on and off for a few years .....

I wanted an impact bumper 911 and thats just what I got .... now I'm positive I would enjoy driving a 993 turbo, or a 996 turbo and Harolds 911s .... BUT .... I am king of the world when driving my '81 SC and have no interest in swapping it for one of the others.

Like Russ, I bought mine off ebay, making the decision only 2 minutes before the end of the auction without even asking a question. In hindsight, it was probably not the wisest thing to do, but it also turned out to be the best car I could have hoped for ......

That's not to say I won't ever own another model of Porsche .... it just means I love what I have and enjoy every minute I'm in it ....

Buy the model of Porsche that makes your heart race ..... when you see one, when you think of one and when you imagine yourself behind the wheel of one .... that's the one you need to buy ....

Good luck with the search .....

Whether it is a 1969s or a 993 Turbo, as long as you're using it to drive.

That doesn't mean going to/from work every day.  Or even using it every week.  But buying with the intention of driving instead of just looking.

Those two cars are extremely different in most respects.  You need to decide what it is that you want from the car, and the answer will reveal itself.

Low kilometer Porsches suffer more expensive problems than high kilometer ones.  

High kilometer ones need more service parts such as filters, shocks and bushes etc etc.

IMHO don't leave them sit for long periods or they will cause you problems.

How can we determine what is most enjoyable for you?

Bacon is yummy but some people hate it, or are opposed to it!

Just get out and drive a few,  in all conditions.

hmmmmmmmm  ...   bacon 

I work mostly at home so none of  my cars can be considered as daily drivers, but I find a reason to drive at least one of them  ....  as often as I can, sometimes for no reason at all.   I would hate to have a 911 and not be able to drive it.  

I don't think its a question of how often you drive it, rather when you do want/need to drive it what experience you want from it?

Driving qualities over quantity should be informing your decision - or buy both!

Thoughts anyone .....?

I guess if you were a collector and had the cash to throw around one would have a couple in the garage just to look at, but if it were me i wouldn't be able to keep my arse out of the drivers seat.

Low kilometer Porsches suffer more expensive problems than high kilometer ones.  

High kilometer ones need more service parts such as filters, shocks and bushes etc etc.

IMHO don't leave them sit for long periods or they will cause you problems.

Good advice Jim, my car was a victim of this when i got hold of it, i had to replace lots of bits where oil was leaking, i think the longest my car has sat idle since ive had it is 4 weeks.

Like someone on here said, you own a Porsche, get out and drive it.

Archived