Trickle charger

StephenS

Unfortunately, I will be spending some long periods away from my P car over the coming few years and now in need of some advice on trickle chargers.

Firstly, what brand/model do any of you recommend to use? And where did you get it?

And secondly for the dummer question.........., what do I need for the two batteries in the old 911? I assume one charger will do both? Do I connect it on one battery or directly to both?

Any advice appreciated.

Stephen, I can't help you with advice on the trickle charger but I do have another suggestion. I would be happy to look after your car and drive it on a regular basis then there won't be an issue with the battery going flat! :D

Stephen,

Yes, you can use one charger to maintain both batteries. However if you wish to charge both of them from dead flat this will take a awhile but for just keeping them topped up between drives is fine. 

(The only caveat to this is to ensure the wiring and earths are in good condition as any voltage drop due to corrosion etc could see the paralleled battery in a lesser state of charge. Probably not critical but a simple solution to avoid this situation is to connect the positive charger lead to one battery +ve and the negative charger lead to the -ve of the other battery. That way both batteries and importantly, the charger itself see the same voltage across both batteries.

Since the ctek battery harnesses are short, you would just need to extend one lead which isn't a big deal because the standard terminal ends they supply are too small to fit the battery cable clamp bolts and have to be changed anyway! They give you alligator clips too as an alternative so don't panic if you don't have access to a soldiering iron and heat shrink!)

Actually I think ctek have a good FAQ section which might be worth a look.

EDIT: Here it is and there is a bit on parallel charging too: http://smartercharger.com/faq/#application8

you can buy plug in extension leads, as well as larger M8 terminals for a CTEK too, so you can hard wire them to your batteries and go round plugging them in

they even do a cigarette lighter charge connector.- accessories here http://www.ctek.com/au/en/accessories/

+1 for the MXS 5.0 too

Russ,

I just find it annoying that they give you M6 terminals when M8's would fit just about everything without any disadvantage to anyone.

Make the M8's standard and the M6's as optional I say!

+1. Had to drill mine.

Matson BR16.0

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/25120/br16.0.html

Can be solid mounted to the car and wired to the battery if need be, long leads, extension, solid wiring clips  and alligator clips supplied.  Have used this for 3 years now, brought a dead battery back to life and still going.  Clip on, plug in and forget.  Looks after itself.  Ideal for long term storage.

• 5 months later...

I am personally not a fan of c-tek. I have an MXS 5.0 and two of my odyssey batteries have died under its guardianship. I have since purchased a Noco Genius G3500 which has a number of different modes. It's features are better than the Ctek and so is the quality of its components.

In the end I went with the Ctek and it has worked great so far.

The first time I was away I didnt sort out getting a charger and the batteries went flat. When I got back, I was straight out and bought the Ctek charger and within 12 hours was up and running. Left it connected from then on while I was out of town for a few months and great result when i returned. Was able to do a Hunter run with some of the folks from the forum and the Hamilton run that weekend. 

So no complaints with the Ctek charger, so far from my side. 

Archived