I need to raise my 911 above the water level

ByronBayChris

With the upcoming heavy rain and cyclone and floods and and and and about to encroach into my basement garage, I am considering ways of keeping the cars dry.  I am trying to locate secure dry garaging from some locals here, but in case I cannot, I want to life the cars up.

I would like full length ramps, I can only find these short ones.......

https://www.autobarn.com.au/stanfred-750kg-drive-up-ramp

Does anyone have any ideas (available within the net 24 hours) for me to lift them up 20cm or more.

post-1001-0-80216400-1424252818_thumb.jp

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A mixture of two sets of car ramps, a trolley jack and four jack stands would do the job but that'd be expensive and I'd doubt you'd need them all at once again. Seeing you're only after a temporary lift and these cars aren't the heaviest, dare I say jack them up onto bricks or preferably thick wooded blocks? 

Its only a problem if it rains hard AND the power fails at the same time.  Then our pumps stop pumping.

We have only ever had a flood twice in 12 years - 4 inches and 2 inches.

Just preparing for the worst - will hope to get another location for the 72T, followed by the old girl 993.

With the upcoming heavy rain and cyclone and floods and and and and about to encroach into my basement garage, I am considering ways of keeping the cars dry.  I am trying to locate secure dry garaging from some locals here, but in case I cannot, I want to life the cars up.

I would like full length ramps, I can only find these short ones.......

https://www.autobarn.com.au/stanfred-750kg-drive-up-ramp

Does anyone have any ideas (available within the net 24 hours) for me to lift them up 20cm or more.

I have seen this done with motorcycles using heavy duty tarps and it worked very well in a flooded garage. I guess if you were to use two tarps and double-bag the car, it may give you better protection than just the ramps if the water level goes high.  Looks silly, but does make sense.

floodbag_zps496ef145.gif

and check this out,  someone is selling these 

http://www.floodycarbag.com

I wonder who has an IT background.....good question, and one I had not considered, but I will check out the pump room tomorrow :)

battery-based UPS systems typically are used to provide power stability and backup power for a realtivelly short time mainly to facilitate controlled system shutdown, while diesel backup  generators take over to provide backup power long-term.

both of these are part of a two-tier UPS systems

stand-alone generators work well for systems which can handle an interruption in supply, we have one in our building for the elevator.   the "Uninterruptible" part in the UPS  is what is critical for IT systems. 

many years ago I worked with systems which used redundant UPS setups with multiple marine diesel engines (size of a small house) capable of powering suburbs,  and with fuel supplies lasting months  .....  lots of fun !

Ups systems wouldn't have enough power to run the pumps for two minutes. You'd need a petrol/diesel pump.

On the topic of flooded basements and ups, lots of companies found out the hard way with hurricane sandy in New York - it's all very well having redundant power - but unless you've got a very big fuel tank you soon are just as stuffed. I know if one company that had to resort to human chains to carry in fuel to keep it going.

Back on the topic - how about besser blocks with treated pine sleepers on top? You'd have to jack the car on, but it would give you height.

But you wouldn't want to leave them in a flooded basement for very long - the humidity would be off the scale.

Sandbags and plastic sheet.

Build up a wall of sandbags on 3 sides, spread plastic sheet over then drive onto the sheet, then build up the fourth wall under the sheet.  You now have a dry "pond"

Can make it as high as you need, no jacking required.

Build up a wall of sandbags on 3 sides, spread plastic sheet over then drive onto the sheet, then build up the fourth wall under the sheet.  You now have a dry "pond"

Love that "outathebox" thinking Brian!

I was just going to suggest the conventional approach of sandbagging the stormwater entry points like the top of the driveway and entry doors and any at risk low level ventilators.  Depending on current demand, SES may even do it for you or if they are pushed, may even just supply the sandbags.

Good luck!

Build up a wall of sandbags on 3 sides, spread plastic sheet over then drive onto the sheet, then build up the fourth wall under the sheet. You now have a dry "pond"

I've had the sandbags ready for a few months.... Just to add the plastic sheet. Thx

Archived