THE BASTARD - 944 LS1

At the start of 2012 I decided my next car would be a 944. There was something about it’s muscular wedge shape, boxed guards and mix of 70’s, 80’s and 90’s design elements. The perfect weight balance, relatively low weight and ability to take a corner ticked the boxes too.

After test driving a few turbos and very nearly pulling the trigger on one, I decided in favour of natural aspiration. The instant on/off throttle response and linear power delivery of the s2 won me over. Outright power and kick-in-the-pants acceleration lost out to smooth and predictable (boring?) so I started looking for an s2.

By october 2012, after spending way too much time on Carsales I had finally found an s2 in black. As a bonus it had the RUF Speedline wheels I was looking for too. The car was in Victoria and after negotiating on the price decided it was worth bringing it up to Brisbane. Naively, I took the word of the owner and a local workshop to determine the condition of the car and had it trucked up.

The initial plan? Drive it and enjoy it as a daily driver, fix up a few little things as needed..

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not the first thing you want to see:

IMG_9752.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

IMG_9767.jpg

IMG_9773.jpg

The rust was contained to the front fenders and the rear battery tray but they would have to be replaced.

The RUF wheels were in great condition structurally with only minor kerb rash but were losing their clear coat and looking tatty. They actually look pretty good in this photo.. worse in reality.

IMG_9779.jpg

Can’t say I was a fan of the droopy bumper either…

IMG_9796.jpg

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_9793.jpg

The interior could have been worse..

IMG_9848.jpg

But it could have been better.. some of the interior panels were warped and peeling away.

IMG_9805.jpg

IMG_9806.jpg

IMG_9845.jpg

The obligatory cracked dash:

IMG_9821.jpg

At this stage my plans for the car had changed.. I decided to give it a fresh lease on life by having the rust repaired/removed, new seals and a repaint.

New seals
IMG_4712.jpg

Originally I wanted the car to be black.. but after seeing Porsche black grey on the GT3 RS, I decided to go half way in between. The colour is Porsche black grey with half of the white content removed from the mix. You can see it here on the old fender next to black:

IMG_4722.jpg

By early 2013 the car was looking like this... and clearly some of my mates thought I was a dick head

image_1353407282583_V.jpg

it wasn't a bare metal respray, but the guys took their time with the prep

465656_494835710554694_1163877263_o.jpg

704070_494836600554605_390950301_o.jpg

736821_494835827221349_1538712479_o.jpg

736465_494835550554710_1873520289_o.jpg

736443_494836010554664_924058560_o.jpg

465477_494836663887932_132493218_o.jpg

Could turn it into an SS ute? I also had the wheels finished with gloss black centers and satin black lips. 
image_1353773283501_V.jpg

Still a bit dusty in these shots, but I was happy with the way the colour turned out. Not a very accurate representation under the fluorescent lights though..

image_1353773362233_V.jpg

The day I picked it up from the paint shop... Was really happy with the finish, no bubbles or orange peel.

620546_494837107221221_2091712509_o.jpg

704200_494836983887900_1914549614_o.jpg

704450_494837853887813_124395959_o.jpg

I drove the car for a few months before moving to Sydney and deciding to leave it in Brisbane..  at this point it was just a desktop wallpaper..

1_X3_A8057.jpg

2014 was a busy year so the car sat un-driven.. I realised it was never going to be my daily driver and with the non-factory paint was never going to be a truly OEM-spec car ever again. So I started hatching plans for the LS1 conversion and some other personal touches. 

haha, yeah about that.. and the car is still off the road

still, the price is so low you kind of expect to be throwing a little cash at these cars. Probably been unloved for a while. Good to see you and Magnus are championing the 944! 

still, the price is so low you kind of expect to be throwing a little cash at these cars. Probably been unloved for a while. Good to see you and Magnus are championing the 944! 

very true, it's a lot of car for little money... the equation has to balance out eventually. Hope to see more of them being built /restored

She looked good in the 1st pic. Look forward to seeing the end result

Looked good from a distance!

Your'e stripping her and showing the LOVE, that means she's a Keeper !

Heart wil be an LS 1, there's the number plate LVESIC .

She is... haha, I like it

Coming along nicely Chris......

It's been alot of work but certainly going to be worth it in the end....

Can't wait to join you on the road for a drive when yours and mine are both finished....

Certainly is a keeper and am enjoying the love and attention you are giving her....

Keep us updated mate...

Wow, no doubt you would have been gutted when you saw the issues, when car arrived. Glad you stuck it out and while I am not a fan of the LS conversion(i see the logic of it and) I still respect the work needed to do it right, The results though would  no doubt have me giggling like a school girl, as it will be a complete beast. Can't wait to see this project progress

Coming along nicely Chris......

It's been alot of work but certainly going to be worth it in the end....

Can't wait to join you on the road for a drive when yours and mine are both finished....

Certainly is a keeper and am enjoying the love and attention you are giving her....

Keep us updated mate...

Itching to get it on the road - a road trip is definitely in order at the end

Wow, no doubt you would have been gutted when you saw the issues, when car arrived. Glad you stuck it out and while I am not a fan of the LS conversion(i see the logic of it and) I still respect the work needed to do it right, The results though would  no doubt have me giggling like a school girl, as it will be a complete beast. Can't wait to see this project progress

Yeah, it was so dissapointing... but hey, had the car been in better condition the build and LS1 may never have happened. Fair enough too the swap isn't to everyone's taste.. it will be a bit of fun 

Great work and dedication to the cause.

Was that a UK car? Rust is somewhat unusual.

The end result will annoy a few ricers.

The previous owner told me the car was from Singapore, but who knows how much truth there was to that. I was surprised to see the rust too... On this car the rust in the battery tray was from a leaking battery and the front fenders seem to trap a bit of water - I don't think it was garaged.

Is the LS conversion difficult, can you tell us what is involved?

Short answer: It's not as straight forward as I'd hoped...

Long answer:

There are a couple of well known 944 LS conversion shops in the states that can supply parts:

http://www.texasperformanceconcepts.com/ (this is the one I used, after hearing good reviews and customer feedback on the parts)

and

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

There is also a wealth of information on the 944 hybrid forums. They even have a wiki which is essentially an online conversion manual:

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/

Doing a bit of reading on it, I was almost convinced to give it a go with the help of a family friend. The kits you can buy are much closer to 'bolt in' for a LHD car.

After receiving the parts list from Texas Performance Concepts (TPC), I knew we'd be out of our depth - the exhaust manifolds definitely wouldn't fit a RHD and there were a few other uncertainties. If you're interested in the parts list TPC put together for me, I can email you a PDF.

In the end I took the project to the guys at MR Tuning for their combined porsche / v8 supercar / time attack car experience

http://www.mr-tuning.com.au/

Some of the complexities involved in the swap for a RHD car:

- Custom made exhaust manifolds (clearances are very, very tight on a RHD car)

- Conversion to hydro boost brakes which requires firewall modification and new lines.

- Steering shaft extension

- (I'll update the list as they come to mind)

The previous owner told me the car was from Singapore, but who knows how much truth there was to that. I was surprised to see the rust too... On this car the rust in the battery tray was from a leaking battery and the front fenders seem to trap a bit of water - I don't think it was garaged.

Singapore and Hong Kong are essentially "maritime environments". Regard as UK cars for all intents and purposes -  and probably only driven short distances into the bargain.

Singapore and Hong Kong are essentially "maritime environments". Regard as UK cars for all intents and purposes -  and probably only driven short distances into the bargain.

Interesting point. As probably 50% of all Aussie p-car owners live near the beach should we fear Clovely Carreras and Bondi Boxters? I once lived in Dover Heights in Sydney. Great ocean views, but also fierce sea spay when the wind was up. A barbecue left outside on the deck could rust through in 12 months.

Archived