Gratuitous Porsche Pics

19 hours ago, 3legs said:

Is that the original 911 Turbo prototype from around 1973/74? I remember reading about that back in the early 80's. Must be still around.

3legs, you are correct, it is the original 911 Turbo. 

Here are some of the photos at the time of sale and on display in USA by it's new owner.  Another great part of Australian automotive history lost.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4fd.thumb.jpg.fd050ec1539205fe661df1c7b5263a66.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4f1.thumb.jpg.45e0acdaa169b7c6c7acc7e4b13af543.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4f5.thumb.jpg.915e65061f1b5c22ec75085a044bcca5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4fd.thumb.jpg.fd050ec1539205fe661df1c7b5263a66.jpg

19 hours ago, 3legs said:

Is that the original 911 Turbo prototype from around 1973/74? I remember reading about that back in the early 80's. Must be still around.

Since going to USA it has been converted to LHD, had a restoration to Paris Motor Show specs, such as mirrors and whale tale sans the oil coiler grill

image.jpeg

BTW, the asking price was $550,000

24 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

3legs, you are correct, it is the original 911 Turbo

Here are some of the photos at the time of sale and on display in USA by it's new owner.  Another great part of Australian automotive history lost.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4fd.thumb.jpg.fd050ec1539205fe661df1c7b5263a66.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4f1.thumb.jpg.45e0acdaa169b7c6c7acc7e4b13af543.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4f5.thumb.jpg.915e65061f1b5c22ec75085a044bcca5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4fd.thumb.jpg.fd050ec1539205fe661df1c7b5263a66.jpg

Since going to USA it has been converted to LHD, had a restoration to Paris Motor Show specs, such as mirrors and whale tale sans the oil coiler grill

image.jpeg

BTW, the asking price was $550,000

Great article about it and its restoration  000 Magazine issue #28

On 28/05/2024 at 05:04, OZ930 said:

it was actually a 1973 911S chassis that had a wooden mock up display engine in it for the Paris Motor Show.

So stylistically it was the first, but it wasnt the first produced or registered.

It was brought to Australia in 1974 on a dealer tour, and my friend the late Mark Goddard was working for Scuderia Veloce at the time. He took several pictures of the car in the showroom on Pacific Highway Lindfield (where Volvo is now I think) .... Ive now got his archive - so will scan and upload when I get a chance.

Justin

1 hour ago, reedminor said:

it was actually a 1973 911S chassis that had a wooden mock up display engine in it for the Paris Motor Show.

So stylistically it was the first, but it wasnt the first produced or registered.

It was brought to Australia in 1974 on a dealer tour, and my friend the late Mark Goddard was working for Scuderia Veloce at the time. He took several pictures of the car in the showroom on Pacific Highway Lindfield (where Volvo is now I think) .... Ive now got his archive - so will scan and upload when I get a chance.

Justin

The engine-less 0157 sat at the Porsche factory until 1975 when it was purchased by the firm’s importer for Australia and New Zealand, Alan Hamilton.

Hamilton actually wanted a 3.0 RSR, but as production had ended, Porsche converted the old 911 Turbo Prototype to partial RSR specification. 0157 was fitted with a full fat RSR engine and exported to Australia.

Along with his red 934 (chassis 9116700165), Hamilton raced the silver ‘RSR’ on a couple of occasions during 1976 (picking up wins at Oran Park and Hume Weir).

Afterwards, 0157 was converted to right-hand drive by Porsche Cars Australia and sold to Graham Stockley, chairman of the Victorian Porsche Club.

Stockley had the car road registered (on the Victoria plate ‘RSR’) and also used it for a few sprint type events.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

The engine-less 0157 sat at the Porsche factory until 1975 when it was purchased by the firm’s importer for Australia and New Zealand, Alan Hamilton.

Hamilton actually wanted a 3.0 RSR, but as production had ended, Porsche converted the old 911 Turbo Prototype to partial RSR specification. 0157 was fitted with a full fat RSR engine and exported to Australia.

Along with his red 934 (chassis 9116700165), Hamilton raced the silver ‘RSR’ on a couple of occasions during 1976 (picking up wins at Oran Park and Hume Weir).

Afterwards, 0157 was converted to right-hand drive by Porsche Cars Australia and sold to Graham Stockley, chairman of the Victorian Porsche Club.

Stockley had the car road registered (on the Victoria plate ‘RSR’) and also used it for a few sprint type events.

was actually sold to Sydney first - very briefly.According to the 000 magazine article Alan Hamilton could not recall the fellows name.

It came back to Melbourne where it was sold to Vin Smart ( a very active PCV member), then Graeme Stockley who owned and ran the car for over a decade (including in early Porsche Cup). There were 2 more Aussie owners before it went to CTS and was sold to the US.

Just found one of the pics taken in Lindfield in 1974 by the late Mark Goddard - attached below.

Justin

hamilton turbo.jpg

4 hours ago, reedminor said:

was actually sold to Sydney first - very briefly.According to the 000 magazine article Alan Hamilton could not recall the fellows name.

It came back to Melbourne where it was sold to Vin Smart ( a very active PCV member), then Graeme Stockley who owned and ran the car for over a decade (including in early Porsche Cup). There were 2 more Aussie owners before it went to CTS and was sold to the US.

Just found one of the pics taken in Lindfield in 1974 by the late Mark Goddard - attached below.

Justin

hamilton turbo.jpg

Good history, thanks.

I was at Oran Park that day, watching it squat and lifting the front left wheel exiting BP Corner.