YES or no?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had the time (I dont) I would personally do it, yet I'd outsource the work otherwise

I'll speak to my mate tonight that did my bodywork and paint and see what he says, yet a full windows out repaint the same colour with minimal bodywork, you'd get away with $10kish I reckon. Rust and dent repair, add a bit more unless its really rusty.

A full pan replacement $2000ish to remove and replace including materials. A mate did a bang up job with mine at mates rates.

Parts are cheaper from Sierra Madre, as they don't charge what Pelican parts or others do for postage etc. So theres 10k to 15k.

Interior 3k without P tax. A full carpet set $400US. Bumper trims and deco bits, under a grand I paid. Complete seal kit, $800US

Get my drift? I was quoted double or triple the above prices just for materials, then I had to add fitting to that, so it will add up very quickly if a shop does it. If you havent done it yourself before, learn! I had never done bodywork before, yet I learnt on Youtube and advice from some friends.

Sorry to hijack and bang on here in your thread, but a 65 911 that needs a paint job and general clean up scares people off. Its a bloody rare car that will continue to escalate in price, and if you don't buy it (if its not already sold) someone else will.

No, you won't get a nut n bolt 100 point resto for 30k, or even 50k, but youll have a nice car that looks great that you dont have to think 'I dropped $250 grand on this, so I wont be driving it'!

I mean all of the above as friendly advice, and not attacking you or anyone else with regards to just paying for a resto because you can.  I just hate the fact that people in a much better financial position than myself, continuously get ripped off because they own a particular car that they love. Buy the parts yourself,  fit them if you can/want too, or shop around for someone that shares the same passion you do

I've said this numerous times on here, that people with the disposable income are being ripped off when restoring cars.

I have this discussion a bit with another forum member here... you are absolutely correct. 

Parts costs aside, I don't know why there is this pricing hysteria around the labour cost of rebuilding or repairing a Porsche... I do think that those who have vested interest have done well at protecting their interests and keeping their prices sky high. But the people with incomes to pay these shops don't usually have the time either.. 

Backyard resto all the way for me!!! :D 

Here is a 69 Camaro I saved some years ago now... 

Before

attachment.php?attachmentid=1&d=11587374

attachment.php?attachmentid=2&d=11587374

attachment.php?attachmentid=3&d=11587374

After 

attachment.php?attachmentid=1782&d=12398

attachment.php?attachmentid=752&d=120978

attachment.php?attachmentid=754&d=120978

attachment.php?attachmentid=5943&d=12801

Can't wait to get my hands on a 356 or long hood one of these days... :) 

If I had the time (I dont) I would personally do it, yet I'd outsource the work otherwise

I'll speak to my mate tonight that did my bodywork and paint and see what he says, yet a full windows out repaint the same colour with minimal bodywork, you'd get away with $10kish I reckon. Rust and dent repair, add a bit more unless its really rusty.

A full pan replacement $2000ish to remove and replace including materials. A mate did a bang up job with mine at mates rates.

Parts are cheaper from Sierra Madre, as they don't charge what Pelican parts or others do for postage etc. So theres 10k to 15k.

Interior 3k without P tax. A full carpet set $400US. Bumper trims and deco bits, under a grand I paid. Complete seal kit, $800US

Get my drift? I was quoted double or triple the above prices just for materials, then I had to add fitting to that, so it will add up very quickly if a shop does it. If you havent done it yourself before, learn! I had never done bodywork before, yet I learnt on Youtube and advice from some friends.

Sorry to hijack and bang on here in your thread, but a 65 911 that needs a paint job and general clean up scares people off. Its a bloody rare car that will continue to escalate in price, and if you don't buy it (if its not already sold) someone else will.

No, you won't get a nut n bolt 100 point resto for 30k, or even 50k, but youll have a nice car that looks great that you dont have to think 'I dropped $250 grand on this, so I wont be driving it'!

I mean all of the above as friendly advice, and not attacking you or anyone else with regards to just paying for a resto because you can.  I just hate the fact that people in a much better financial position than myself, continuously get ripped off because they own a particular car that they love. Buy the parts yourself,  fit them if you can/want too, or shop around for someone that shares the same passion you do

lee what you say makes a great deal of sence. The personal satisfaction in doing a lot of it yourself must be immense. Several factors come into play with a car like this. Expertise - having someone with a proven track record gives you some comfort and potentially protects some of the investment but much like a builder, if you give them the whole job, all they are going to do is subcontract aspects out, so if you have time to project manage yourself you are bound to save cash. However time is the biggest factor.  Us 'fat cats' (joke) biggest issue is creating the time needed and often the premium we end up paying for someone to do our dirty work is offset by what we can get out of running a business. That said, this car would be an amazing opportunity to bring something very cool back to life, and to be part of the build would be something I hope I could do

Lots of people rebuild veedubs. it's the supercars that are tricky ;)

Don't forget to add seals to the repaint. All of them. And dings & rust. And chromework. And rewiring . And wheel refurb , tyres , all suspension bits , 

Oh noes! Car doesn't run. Engine , gearbox...and the old windscreen that broke when you pulled it out for the repaint.

But fundamentally Lee is right. There are many evening hours free , at most stages of life, when you think about it.

I included all the seals in the rough quote (my smartass joke there, no offence) 

Edgy, that Camaro is stunning! Missus would swap my 912 for a Camaro anyday

All I'm trying to say is to shop around, not just get out your wallets. There are many talented people that think the way I do (I lack the talent unfortunately,  but I can learn!)

Back on topic boys!

managed to track down some pics of a 66 in the original (or close to) the original spec, interior and exterior colour. Lee I'll give you $40k now if you can turn my rusty burnt piece of trash into this! Believe it or not these cars are only 126 numbers apart...

Edgy, that Camaro is stunning! Missus would swap my 912 for a Camaro anyday

Long gone unfortunately, thanks for the kind words though. :)

Back on topic boys!

managed to track down some pics of a 66 in the original (or close to) the original spec, interior and exterior colour. Lee I'll give you $40k now if you can turn my rusty burnt piece of trash into this! Believe it or not these cars are only 126 numbers apart...

My... 

So you've bought it? :ph34r:

Honestly T, if you want a good shop that could restore it for you in a timely manner at a reasonable cost... get at me, I'll point you in the right direction. I'm actually going there tomorrow night.. 

Long gone unfortunately, thanks for the kind words though. :)

My... 

So you've bought it? :ph34r:

Honestly T, if you want a good shop that could restore it for you in a timely manner at a reasonable cost... get at me, I'll point you in the right direction. I'm actually going there tomorrow night.. 

Nope - he's talking about his 930.

sorry lads - putting up images on this site gives me the shits sometime. No I haven't bought it. Just had an interesting call from Grant from Autohaus though. I asked them whether they would do a PPI and he has just confirmed that CTS won't let customers do PPI's with them. Big warning sign as i would totally trust their opinion, fully expecting that there would be a load to do to the car, but wanting to know exactly what. Anyway. Should you ever get Lee to restore this car it should come out like this :)

DSCN6558-800x589_zpsy3mqltfl.jpg

DSCN6541-800x592_zpsoyii1okn.jpg

DSCN6535-800x579_zpsrnrtaew9.jpg

DSCN6534-800x599_zps6ep4fope.jpg

DSCN6521-800x600_zpsq2klvgey.jpg

looks bloody good doesn't she...

Back on topic.

That 901 looks unloved , and to correct it (as it should be IMO) will cost a mint. 

Or just put it in "preservation class",  awaiting someone with the museum quality dollars.

Mr Fish needs to spend a month reading 901 registry and early S registry to see the sort of financial hole that can be dug with these early cars.

If he wants a correctly restored one.

And it's still not matching numbers, so will you have to walk around with your tail between your legs amongst those in the gruppe, at least until it's flipped.

Back on topic.

That 901 looks unloved , and to correct it (as it should be IMO) will cost a mint. 

Or just put it in "preservation class",  awaiting someone with the museum quality dollars.

Mr Fish needs to spend a month reading 901 registry and early S registry to see the sort of financial hole that can be dug with these early cars.

If he wants a correctly restored one.

And it's still not matching numbers, so will you have to walk around with your tail between your legs amongst those in the gruppe, at least until it's flipped.

entry into this club can certainly open up a few deep holes I am sure. The non matching may turn out to be an interesting investigation for a future buyer though. Turns out the engine swap was done in OZ, so potentially not only is there a matching engine locally to be found but the 's' that is currently in the car will also have come from a local car as it was aussi delivered. All dealer talk so maybe bullshit.

Recommend a good tassie wine with fish tassie?

entry into this club can certainly open up a few deep holes I am sure. The non matching may turn out to be an interesting investigation for a future buyer though. Turns out the engine swap was done in OZ, so potentially not only is there a matching engine locally to be found but the 's' that is currently in the car will also have come from a local car as it was aussi delivered. All dealer talk so maybe bullshit.

Recommend a good tassie wine with fish tassie?

All Tassie wine is good , if not great. try Pooley wines ; John was the Porsche dealer here for decades , a racing hall of famer and is still motoring strongly in his "retirement"..

I wouldn't read too much into the cts/autohaus thing.  Probably some type of argy-Barry that goes back.  Plenty of other people who can take a look.

remember the non matching engine.  What you have here is a hotrod, and we all know hotrods- while desirable for some- don't bring the big big bucks.

id rather see you take this on than butcher that nice 964, though.

here's a chance to make an astoundingly cool one of one.  A period correct hotrod. 

Archived