1960 356B.

Skidmarks

Hi everyone. 

I have a few P cars including a  1961 T5 B.  It's a full bore ratrod.  

Ive just acquired an unfinished project. It's a 1960 B convertible. It will have a few 'rod elements (primarily engine - have a 911 style fan kit for instance) but visually will be looking to go standard.  It's a 50th birthday "gift" for my wife who is a huge 356 fan.  Looking for an elegant result at the end of the project  

It's around 85% done but I'm stuck on what to do about the convertible top.  I have all the hoops etc but have no idea where I could so to get a top made.  Also, I need a carpet set. Not looking for fully correct but would need to be black. 

Finally, the previous owner fitted a dic brake conversion. I like it but he put Fuchs 4" rims on it. Yuk to my eye.  I need some replacement wheels. Where should I look?

Any feedback and assistance would be very welcome. 

Thanks. 

5.5 inch 911 steelies? I bought 2 for $350, yet have seen sets sell for $300 per rim unrestored. Not a fan of Fuchs on a 356 either

I looked into having some rims made similar to the 944 spare rims, using Holden Commodore wheels (cop rims as they call them). Sacrilage I know, and I didnt get too far along with it, yet I think they need to change the offset and, weld up the holes and redrill them. Not that expensive when you consider the price of real 944 ones....if you can find them

I took a set of '69 Lemertz Sprintstars that were 5.5" off my B last year.  They looked pretty good but I wanted to fit the original wheels and caps.  I sold them to a member at the Sunshine Coast and he may part with them.

Carpets - yes Prostitch or order from Lakewell. A local trimmer could make you some if you didn't want original squareweave. 

Skiddy

I'd also shy away from the Brazilian Mangels wheels which are aftermarket 356 steel wheels.

The VW boys and some 356er's put them on their cars for that period look.

Workmanship is so so and they are prone to rust prematurely and the chrome flake off ! 

The Kid!

Is Harry wobbly Witham still making wheels? He has made the 904 type wheel and rudge knock offs 

I think he's still making wheels. But he and I don't see eye to monacle so that's a dead end.  I'm looking for the 6" look.  I've got a set of Technomagnesio's on my other B (drum brake version) and they look great. Is your one for a drum brake car?  If so, we may have to talk a deal. 

Skiddy

I'd also shy away from the Brazilian Mangels wheels which are aftermarket 356 steel wheels.

The VW boys and some 356er's put them on their cars for that period look.

Workmanship is so so and they are prone to rust prematurely and the chrome flake off ! 

The Kid!

Thanks for the tip. I think I may have bought a set for the other B before I fitted the Technomagnesio's and yes, the plating was paper thin. 

I took a set of '69 Lemertz Sprintstars that were 5.5" off my B last year.  They looked pretty good but I wanted to fit the original wheels and caps.  I sold them to a member at the Sunshine Coast and he may part with them.

Carpets - yes Prostitch or order from Lakewell. A local trimmer could make you some if you didn't want original squareweave. 

Thanks Merv.  If you think your guy might sell, could you PM me details?

I might order and try and fit them myself. How hard can it be .....? ?

I might order and try and fit them myself. How hard can it be .....? ?

I've fitted carpet to 911's before. Not rocket science just takes time, heat gun sharp blades and an extra set of occasional hands

For the top and carpets, you can't go past Autos International in the USA. I bought several 356 interior from them including tops and carpet. Never been disappointed. Auggie is your guy

Appreciate this and all the other tips and leads. 

It's around 85% done but I'm stuck on what to do about the convertible top.  I have all the hoops etc but have no idea where I could so to get a top made.  

i have a hardtop for sale(no glass) in doncaster

10987444_10153110154776873_9168737316111

Hi Skiddy

Reluctantly I'll be putting a huge stash of 356 outlaw parts on the market soon  - unless someone has an 356 A coupe shell for sale? .

They were acquired for a 1960 356 Roadster project which never went ahead and the car is now sold.

Now after a decade of languishing under the stairs its time to move them on. All the very best stuff Cariillo, LN Engineering, Scat, Vic Skirmants, Weber, Elgin, Competition Engineering, Bursch, Fibersteel etc etc.  Here's just as small sample of what's on offer which I'll post on the PFA first!

Brakes & Suspension

Components

Dual Master Cylinder Conversion 

Front Pedders 17mm sway bar

Rear Pedders camber compensator

Accessories

Components

Fibersteel Speedster Replica Seats ( Frames / Buckets and mounting Brackets for 356 A & early B

Carrera GT Rear Vision Mirror (RHD)

Early Speedster Style Headlight Grills

Carrera Style Aluminium Bumper Deco Trim (smooth bumper look)

Stay tuned.

Archived