997.1 tyres

SammyD

What tyres are you running? 

I have the Pirelli Pzero 295/30/19 on the 997.1S. Should I stick with those or move to something else? Maybe the Michelin PS2 or PSS ?

Driven 3-4 times a week

Also recommendations to a reputable tyre shop? Someone who knows TPMS, isnt gonna drop a rim on the calipers or trash the rims with a rattle gun! Sydney area

Regards

Sam

big fan of Michelin here. I ran them on my cayman S with 19inch rims.. 

Also running them on my 964 currently. Brilliant.

My Boxster S has 18inch P Zeroes right now, and with tonnes of life left, and I'm considering ditching them for the PS2.

I'm in Bris and dont have any tyre shop recs, but I always jack up my car, and take my rims off and into the shop for fitting...

I recently ended up, due to time constraints and lack of availability of MPSS with a set of Nitto Invo tyres on my GT3 as I needed all weather tyres rather than the Cup1`s that were on it for a trip. As far as all weather road tyres go they are pretty much faultless and Damp/Wet roads now don`t feel like a stage of the Rally of Sweden.

I have both, Michelin PS2 on front and Pirelli Rossos on the back which I don't think is recommended but my cars not a racing car haha

Will be going Michelin PS2s all round when the rears are gone. Its the Michelin marketing that got me! I <3 Michelin man! Haha

• 11 months later...

I think I will go for Michelin when types are gone, can Anyone answer that what s the difference between ps2 or pap and how about the price?

i find Tempe types offers relatively cheap price on that

There is a specific Michelin ps2 made for the 911. Best price I found was at Kmart tyres in Cammeray (north Syd). There ordered in and put on next day - came in at 50% of the price Porsche were asking! Guys were good and took good care of the car! I've seen bentleys etc there too so it's not like the don't know how to care

There is a specific Michelin ps2 made for the 911. Best price I found was at Kmart tyres in Cammeray (north Syd). There ordered in and put on next day - came in at 50% of the price Porsche were asking! Guys were good and took good care of the car! I've seen bentleys etc there too so it's not like the don't know how to care

thank you. May I ask what's the price that you get for stock 19inc lobster claw wheels? Front and rear? What exactly is the model number? And have to be N rated (Porsche use)?

Ask for an N rated tyre that means it's certified to be on a Porsche. On the 996/997 it's Michelin, pirelli, continental and bridgestone that make an N rated tyre. 

Michelin isn't listed on kmart tyre and autos website, were they a special order? Might call them tomorrow 

+1 for Michelin Pilot Super Sport for best grip (wet and dry)/wear/price combo. Recently moved up to Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 on my 997.1 S and these are on another level in the dry, however don't expect the same wear, wet grip or price.

Don't rate the N spec Michelin Pilot Sport 2 that highly that were the first set on my car (quite an old design now and tyre tech has moved on).

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S is meant to be the replacement to the Super Sport and from reviews they are another substantial advancement again. Haven't tried them personally and not sure if they are available here yet, but maybe an option if you don't need to buy straight away and can wait for local stock?

Lucky for the 997 guys you can get the Pilot sport 4S but for the 996 guys they arent making them any smaller than 19".

I've often contemplated older N rated tyres vs newer non N technology but the Michelin rep recommended that the N is the way to go for a 996.

That's just my experience, I'm going to PS2s from N4 P-Zeros soon so guess I'll know what they are like soon. 

Called kmart tyre and auto they can supply Michelin but don't stock them. 

Their prices were the most expensive I've been quoted on PS2s. Although they were willing to price match others they could only supply PS1s for the rear which has been superseded by the 2 anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

PS2 Cup or PS4's  , I have a set of each on two cars in the last month.. cant fault them .. if in MELBOURNE  Tyrepower Hawthorn beats any price I ever have and normally I dont even tell him my starting price.. he does that straight off the bat. They have also shipped tyres to me in Byron at $20 .. great service and had them fitted elsewhere.

When in Melbourne last and PS2 Cups in short supply , I was told also about JAX in Hawthorn, again they out quoted anyone straight over the phone , not quite as cheap as Tyrepower but still better than the others..

As for PS2 AND PS4's , I was sincerely thinking of suspension change on the TT as 20yr birthday pressie..It all looked fine but I felt the car had lost its edge..  I made a return to Michelin.. transformed the car .. after a period in the wilds with Continentals , Pirelli ... I can honestly say .. I dont think I would every go elsewhere..

I went to Conti for the side wall bead as i had a few issues with potholes and this seemed to be the answers but in terms of grip.. no comparison for me .

I also living in the wilds find it hard sometimes to get stock locally and or dont want to have to transport my car hence buy tyres on line..and just take a wheel out for a fitment  I have bought Michellin at Demon Tweaks UK ,  they courier to me , at sometimes 20% cheaper overall than Aus , even after shipping ..delivered in 5 days.. can you believe it ..?? 

Just bought new Michelin Ps2 N spec for my 996 in the standard 225/285. There was a $100 off when you purchase 4 or more. Ends tomorrow but you could still get them from Costco as they are open.

Got mine from goodyear they matched the best quotes I got. 

Always been a Michelin fan they will be replacing my P zeros. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived