LA trip - Outlaw city

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who is organising the shipping of the car back from LA ?  did Magnus agree to assist or take care of that ?  And I would think there was a serious amount of bug cleaning to be done off the front of the car after your 700 mile blast  to ensure it gets past Aussie Quarantine inspectors when it arrives.

So who is organising the shipping of the car back from LA ?  did Magnus agree to assist or take care of that ?  And I would think there was a serious amount of bug cleaning to be done off the front of the car after your 700 mile blast  to ensure it gets past Aussie Quarantine inspectors when it arrives.

shipping company should pick up this week and it's part of their job to get it through customs. I did leave it a little dusty but Magnus has taken care of it. Even packed up the car with all the bits I bought.

for an OTLW trifling concerns 

plates are ready!

encapsulation is a Museum sanctioned method to preserve patina ($$$) don't rush to wash those LA bugs off quite yet Master Tom 

AQIS will deal with them regardless of the need for patina, for an exorbitant fee of course /voice of bitter experience

AQIS will deal with them regardless of the need for patina, for an exorbitant fee of course /voice of bitter experience

cost me 160 AU$ if i remember correctly...they found some cool looking bug (or placed it there on purpose)

cost me 160 AU$ if i remember correctly...they found some cool looking bug (or placed it there on purpose)

We've just imported a car from Detroit for "engineering evaluation".  AQIS found one spider so a week later after fumigation they released the car.  Entire car is covered in an oily film, presumably toxic. :angry:

My car arrived dusty, dirty and covered in bird crap and a flat battery.  No quarantine fee.  

Picking a car up from the docks is fun.  Get yourself a dealer plate or unreg vehicle permit and drive it home.  You'll grin like a loon.

Mine was cleaner than the day it left the factory, but "it's a 4x4 and you have foot and mouth in UK, so it needs steam cleaning". We had F&M in 2001, my car wasn't built until 2005...

i wouldn't have minded so much if they hadn't charged me $500 to wash it and given it back clean, but it was filthy when I got to the cleaners. Instead of using the $250 tilt tray I'd paid for because it apparently couldn't be driven on the road until it was clean, someone drove it to the cleaners, using all the fuel in the process. While I understand and support the reasoning, it's just used as a scam at the docks.

• 2 weeks later...

So what is the final cost of importing a last century VW derivative into the country , including airfares and meals and accommodation and transport and stink bug removal and compliance and stamp duty ? Is it an investment or an indulgence? Why don't more wives and GFs do this sort of trip? I mean , minus the hookers and stuff.

People get on forums to find answers to life's interesting questions, not just finding camping buddies ;) 

So what is the final cost of importing a last century VW derivative into the country , including airfares and meals and accommodation and transport and stink bug removal and compliance and stamp duty ? Is it an investment or an indulgence? Why don't more wives and GFs do this sort of trip? I mean , minus the hookers and stuff.

People get on forums to find answers to life's interesting questions, not just finding camping buddies ;) 

just over $5k for shipping

'LA experience' was just an adventure that needed to be done - priceless.

Magnus sold me the car at least 20% bellow anything else for sale that is comparable in the US and added Zero celebrity tax. 

Import taxes will not be helpful, but minimised by the price Magnus added to the final docs. In the end I expect to be paying about $20 - $30k over the price of a good 3.3l OZ 930, so have done well considering it is the much rarer  3.0l car and low mileage. 

In the end though I think the value will be in the Magnus linagage which will overcome the LHD factor and ensure a future global demand. 

But I know you hate to talk finance Tassie, so let's just say I will be able to swap one for another and not care about the non original bits, how many kms or stone chips I add, because he sold me a drivers car that has his stamp on it, which allows me to treat it like every good eastern suburbs outlaw should 

In the end though I think the value will be in the Magnus linagage which will overcome the LHD factor and ensure a future global demand. 

When do you envisage selling it? Next year or when the school bills roll in :P

Personally I'd keep it , but I'm just an elderly anachronistic anarchist!

When do you envisage selling it? Next year or when the school bills roll in :P

Personally I'd keep it , but I'm just an elderly anachronistic anarchist!

I hope not to ever have to. Those school bills keep me up at night, but I recon the father of the year payoff for dropping your kids off to school in a black on black 930 will be worth it :) 

Oh - and it Magnus makes it to Tassie, this black dog will be following close behind

I hope not to ever have to. Those school bills keep me up at night, but I recon the father of the year payoff for dropping your kids off to school in a black on black 930 will be worth it :) 

Oh - and it Magnus makes it to Tassie, this black dog will be following close behind

look I do the occasional school drop off and most of the kids wouldn't notice at all.  Maybe it's the lack of wings.

Or maybe they are too busy trying to pick out their mums rav-trail-lander thing amongst the sea of silver and black compact fwd crapboxes with high driving positions and 911-sized blind spots.

look I do the occasional school drop off and most of the kids wouldn't notice at all.  Maybe it's the lack of wings.

Or maybe they are too busy trying to pick out their mums rav-trail-lander thing amongst the sea of silver and black compact fwd crapboxes with high driving positions and 911-sized blind spots.

time for some new pipes!

Welcome to the left hand drive brethren Tom I am sure you will become our highest profile convert in Australia and will lead the small band of true believers to the most pure of pursuits the true Porsche driving experience.

We hope in time you will be our messiah and preach the virtues of this most hollowed driving experience from the left seat of a Porsche the original side and lead us on journey encompassing the outlaw lifestyle.

I feel the force is strong with you we do ummmm.

Welcome to the left hand drive brethren Tom I am sure you will become our highest profile convert in Australia and will lead the small band of true believers to the most pure of pursuits the true Porsche driving experience.

We hope in time you will be our messiah and preach the virtues of this most hollowed driving experience from the left seat of a Porsche the original side and lead us on journey encompassing the outlaw lifestyle.

I feel the force is strong with you we do ummmm.

I like where you are going with this. Byron bay Chris already heads up the Northern Chapter. 

A yearly meet up at Maccas drive thru where we can all reverse through in unison? 

Archived