LA trip - Outlaw city

When I first went there I thought it was a shit hole, but the more time you spend there, it grows on you (IMO). Those dusty streets and ragged industrial areas have some charm about them. I think you captured that well in those pics, take Singer for instance, building 700K restomod 911s with huge waiting lists, yet their carpark is full of junk and presents as chaos.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An urban shithole is still a shithole. But if you like shitholes , it's great! I have my own shithole , in the bush. Junk everywhere,  but not so the neighbours and wife can see it.

LA is like an elderly prostitute. Glory days are well behind and it looks shagged out.

When I first went there I thought it was a shit hole, but the more time you spend there, it grows on you (IMO). Those dusty streets and ragged industrial areas have some charm about them. I think you captured that well in those pics, take Singer for instance, building 700K restomod 911s with huge waiting lists, yet their carpark is full of junk and presents as chaos.

spiller I think you and I would get along, perhaps the only two around here that se to get LA.   Hating On LA is as hip as a deconstructed coffee, even though most people know only lax and Anaheim.

spiller I think you and I would get along, perhaps the only two around here that se to get LA.   Hating On LA is as hip as a deconstructed coffee, even though most people know only lax and Anaheim.

Some people have concrete in their blood , others have grass. Luckily the world is capacious enough for all tastes!

Some people have concrete in their blood , others have grass. Luckily the world is capacious enough for all tastes!

I'm definitely not a city person, but you don't have to be a city person to recognise a place for what it is to the people who live there.  It's a desert city despite being next to the ocean, and it's a pollution bowl.  But it's also part gritty industrial city, part fakery and part mountains and canyons.   It's junk friendly because it never rains but it's also got places with beautiful gardens because the sun always shines.   It's been described as an old hooker, but I would say it's a shy lady who only reveals her secrets to those who are prepared to look further than a tourist guide, inevitably written by someone else who also only sees a wrinkly old hag with dusty streets.

Anyway I hope the black turbo gets to drive some of the roads apart from the crushing concrete freeways.

it's a shy lady who only reveals her secrets to those who are prepared to look further than a tourist guide, inevitably written by someone else who also only sees a wrinkly old hag with dusty streets.

We tend to leave the guide books at home. And walk until it hurts, which is just as well as public transport was poor . Mile after mile  of hot dusty semi deserted urban blocks, not even many hobos or hoods for interest. .And we explored several suburbs looking for something , anything photoworthy. e.g. an old substation ; despite what you might think I search out non-conventional photo opportunities. 

BHSS.jpg

All in all though there are many other places with better bang for the buck , and urban neglect for free. So LA won't be getting my tourist $ I'm afraid. But if I ever need another cheap rust free LHD Porsche I know where to go ! 

Post script : For those who enjoy modern urban decay (I am more inclined to medieval and older decay myself) the book Explore Everything - Place hacking the city" by Bradley Garret is a must read. There is a completely different world out there from what the tourist ever imagines. Bradley & cohort's experiences read like an edgy movie script.

The area between our hotel by City Hall and Tom's uber hipster hotel is really interesting. Stunning buildings that are an abject demo of faded glory, old theatres and cinemas that are mostly or completely empty, parking garages that have the ground levels converted to market places or trendy food courts yet the rest of the building is empty. Architecturally it's amazing to see these faded structures, there's so much potential but at the same time the money needed to renovate them would be huge. Having said that, the rooftop bar at the Ace Hotel was rammed with people last night, as was the ground floor bar / restaurant so getting it right can obviously bring the rewards.

SWMBO's less sold on LA, but after driving round the downtown area as well as up in't hills, I'm sold on it. Yes, it's dirty but that's part of its charm I think, it's just a massive place that's rammed with people and cars. I hadn't been round LA for over 10 years and I hated it last time, but it's changed and in a lot of cases for the better. There's huge amounts of construction going on all over the CBD and new roads / rail links to the airport going in.

So how did it go? The 234 horses , the lag , the brakes , the suspension , the tyres , the noise? The left hand drive!

Does it smell like your wife's grandfather? Will she approve etc etc.

We want details!

So how did it go? The 234 horses , the lag , the brakes , the suspension , the tyres , the noise? The left hand drive!

Does it smell like your wife's grandfather? Will she approve etc etc.

We want details!

one word - amazing

The car only has 50,000miles and this really shows. Very responsive, very fast. The clutch/gears where only taken apart for a full rebuild less than 1000 miles ago so again all works as near new. I would say it feels generally like a more responsive/powerful car than my Aussi 930. 'Boost' definitely comes in later but I've driven these cars enough now to not be intimidated by it - although this car definitely punch's. The brakes are massively different from the later car.  With no power assist it is quite easy to scare the shit out of yourself especially as many of  these roads I drove today have no signage indicating corners 

Magnus did have it real low, but adjusted it up a bit last week, and I love the overall stance. Catches a few bumps in the city, but once travelling at speed there seemed to be no issue on the open road.

I love all his little touches. 

1.  stance

2. black wheels/no centre caps

3. Hooster tyres

4. Outlaw stickers

5. Porsche Cars of America stickers

6. Hand stitched leather dash (same used in his 964 project car)

7. double twin pipe exhaust

All of these items are non stock, but in this case add to the history of the car and I now very much want to maintain.

I am sure I smell exactly like my wifes grandfather after today. LHD is still work in progress with me still often trying to change gears with the door handle ;) , but overall a fantastic piece of machinery that is only improved with its OUTLAW DNA. 

Archived