You answered your own question KGB.;)

I think he would have sold it if he was neg. but he has stated that he isn't so..........

Tingy, what do we really reckon it's worth in it's best trousers and shoes?

Edited by KGB

Tingy, what do we really reckon it's worth in it's best trousers and shoes?

not quite what it is, but people are not prepared to pay too much for a 944 for some reason unless it's really special, this one looks really good and the Fuchs are definitely a draw card for me, maybe people want the model with the extra hp, who knows, be worth a phone call i reckon and see if you can change his mind.

The only one to gauge prices off was the QLD late model turbo that sold midway through the second half of last year, $45,000 advertised price and was a low km near minter with the 250hp engine and nothing to spend from what i heard.

Has the market values gone up since then? Maybe  a little, I've done a little research of late with the value of my car and I was surprised at what I was told i may get if i was to sell, mine is exactly the same spec as the '88 turbo S.

the red black 89 had a few minor paint blemishes to front and easily  corrected. Otherwise gem like. @45k was IMO was a low $ ask. However it did sell sold promptly, and believe there was strong interest. Pricing then was a value prop and did achieve a fast/painless sale? 

@TINGY944 if we accept the 89 was low money, realistically how would you price your  car against the 86?

Isnt the 944T delivered numbers same as 924turbo. Not that many? 

Separate Q is the 88 from a spec,  and putting aside HP is it that more special than the preceding or following turbos? 

Isnt the 944T delivered numbers same as 924turbo. Not that many? 

Separate Q is the 88 from a spec,  and putting aside HP is it that more special than the preceding or following turbos? 

110 in '86

none in '87  (probably still trying to sell the '86s)

25 in '88

38 in '89

15 in '90

188 in total...

Guess I'm saying in this gene pool, not many to choose from to start, finding low km good uns more so. Finding any at present a trick.

As this 86 has tripped over 100k,  is it suggesting it's not collector grade enough.  If say 66000kms would it be still for sale?

pound for pound 

3.0 turbos $$$

3.3 turbos $$

86 first of the breed should there be any correlation 

Of that how many survive in any cond

and then how many like the 89 and 86 discussed or Tingys car remain.

Surely there are still some remaining, how many minter's? Who knows.

Does anyone remember the one that was in SA for sale a couple of years ago and the photo's of it taken at a race track? That is the last minter turbo with M030 and the full show i remember being for sale on carsales and i think was $33,000 at the time, red over black.

@TINGY944 if we accept the 89 was low money, realistically how would you price your  car against the 86?

I think if i was to put it on the market tomorrow it would be higher than the red 86 currently residing on carsales, wouldn't anybody do that? I certainly wouldn't be rigid on price though.

Certainly a bit more special than an 86 most would say, everyone (mostly) would agree the red over black combo is the most sought after and leather is a bonus from the options list, the M030 or Club Sport Package was an option and the LSD was standard in '88 and '89. 

So what does the collective think that mine is worth over the '86 if you put them side by side what would you buy?

Totally my thoughts:

- The absolute best 944 S on the market up to $30k. 

- A mint grade S2 less than 200k on it, full history etc $35k, all day, every day. 

- The $58k Turbo, my money stops about low $40's

- Tingy, your Turbo S, great car, rarer, $45 to $50k even. Red over black S, you'll get the cashed up must have it crowd. 

Just my thoughts. 

Shout out to the Turbo cognoscenti; why other than price is this still hanging around?  

Price isn't reason enough? I mean, it could be perfect (which it isn't, of course), but if it's way overpriced, why would you expect it *not* to remain unsold?

Edit: I should have hit the refresh button before responding. I see now this has already generated some comment!

Personally, I rank the earlier Turbos behind both the S2 and the late Turbos. I prefer the evolution of the later cars: better optioned, ABS etc. If S2s max out in price at, say, low 40s, then I wouldn't expect an early Turbo to reach that. Late Turbos $40-50K, I would think. Maybe more for something really special.

But I would expect the red 86 Turbo to be realistically selling in the 30s somewhere.

Edited by Plugger2

I see Paul's S2 is now showing as "sold" on carsales, so I'm guessing that means the sale has been completed?

Can the identity of the buyer now be revealed to those of us not in the inner circle?

The half-life of S2s on carsales currently is about 24 hours. Demand for 944s seems to be concentrated all at the top end, not surprisingly perhaps.

I see Paul's S2 is now showing as "sold" on carsales, so I'm guessing that means the sale has been completed?

Can the identity of the buyer now be revealed to those of us not in the inner circle?

The half-life of S2s on carsales currently is about 24 hours. Demand for 944s seems to be concentrated all at the top end, not surprisingly perhaps.

Hey Plugger, sorry to keep you guessing.  Following completion of a PPI at Autohaus yesterday, I can now say I am glad to have secured Paul's S2.  The compression test was an important part of the process to move forward and it came back with "very good" results.  This is the first car I have ever purchased without standing in front of it before pulling the pin......strange situation but you can't muck around when the right car for you comes along.

Flight booked for collection tomorrow morning and I'll be driving it back to Melb, should be a memorable trip.

Special thanks to Tingy and Rob for their comments and knowledge at the initial stage.  I have always admired the 944 shape but not really known much about their ins and outs.  PFA has been an excellent resource and I have been watching this thread over the last 6 months with great interest.

No point posting photos as Paul was very thorough with pics within the advert https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-4546186/?Cr=3. http://porscheforum.com.au/topic/10793-for-sale-944-s2-1990-sold/

Will sort the RWC and rego transfer asap and look forward to enjoying her for many years to come, let the learning curve begin :)

Edited by 1Stepo911

Can someone explain to me why these cars have to remain under $45-$50k?

One sold at CTS last year for a large amount of money and it was collector grade and a "base" model with Burgundy interior.

Tingy I think they will break into the $40's and $50's the future, just not yet. $60's one day. Remember this time in 2015 an immaculate S2 was going for low $20's

Hey Plugger, sorry to keep you guessing.  Following completion of a PPI at Autohaus yesterday, I can now say I am glad to have secured Paul's S2.  The compression test was an important part of the process to move forward and it came back with "very good" results.  This is the first car I have ever purchased without standing in front of it before pulling the pin......strange situation but you can't muck around when the right car for you comes along.

Flight booked for collection tomorrow morning and I'll be driving it back to Melb, should be a memorable trip.

Special thanks to Tingy and Rob for their comments and knowledge at the initial stage.  I have always admired the 944 shape but not really known much about their ins and outs.  PFA has been an excellent resource and I have been watching this thread over the last 6 months with great interest.

No point posting photos as Paul was very thorough with pics within the advert https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-4546186/?Cr=3.

Will sort the RWC and rego transfer asap and look forward to enjoying her for many years to come, let the learning curve begin :)

Congrats! You will have to add some pics to your own thread when you get it (add is now defunct...)! Good luck for the trip.

Edited by ANF

One sold at CTS last year for a large amount of money and it was collector grade and a "base" model with Burgundy interior.

I would say there is a few factors in that, a dealer like CTS is able to overcome obstacles in a deal that a private seller just won't be able to, things like offering finance & trade ins and of course that fancy showroom with coffee. I also think dealers like that have a largely different client base too, they'll get the guys that browse one their lunch break and one day something catches the eye.. then they go back a few days later, and again for a nibble then they're hook line and sinker when they were probably not even in the market. Grade of car is also the other one. 

There is, of course, no intrinsic reason the cars have to be at any particular price. Market pricing is quite arbitrary; who knows where prices will sit in the future?

But I think the $45-50K limit for an "ordinary" 944 (i.e., not a museum quality specimen with under 1,000kms on the clock and the original German air in the Continentals) is people's best guess at where the market lies at the moment. That still makes them "cheap" for a classic Porsche. Remember the S2 coupes sold for over $120K new in 1989, and the cabs and Turbos for more! That was a *lot* of money back then.

No point posting photos as Paul was very thorough with pics within the advert https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-944-1990/SSE-AD-4546186/?Cr=3.

No problem, actually I understand the time between putting the deposit down and finalising the sale is a sensitive one, and it's usually in the interest of both parties to be circumspect and discreet about the proceedings. I was just teasing about the fact I wasn't in the "cool kids club" that was in on the hot gossip.

Welcome to the S2 club! With only 128 Australian delivered S2s in total, an exclusive club indeed! (Makes the Turbos look decidedly common, by comparison. ;))

I know the feeling about buying cars long distance -- pretty much goes with the territory when buying old classic cars. It is a bit unnerving, but it sometimes actually works out OK!

You were right to get the compression checked carefully -- these engines are very robust and will last forever if they are maintained properly (basically, oil changes on schedule with the correct oil). But that's a big "if". There are many poorly maintained 944s with prematurely worn engines out there as well, unfortunately.

MY S2 engine still burns less than 1 litre of oil between oil changes (every 10,000 kms). I religiously use Mobil 1 5w-50, always have, and as far as I know that's what the previous owners have also used. Look after your S2 engine and it will pay you back with interest!