How do you sell it as a 1990 model when it was delivered on the 1/12/89 ? ......:wacko:

Model year and year delivered are not always the same, Porsche, along with a lot of other manufacturers, make the next years cars in the later half of the year before. My 928 was built in August 1982 but it is a 1983 model year car - as verified by the VIN. It can get confusing when you register it though as they go off when it was registered... hence mine is registered as an 82 model.... confusing... No!!

I understand "most" of what you have all said although .....

If a car is built in '89 and sold new in '90 I get that it's a 1990 car ....

But if a car is built in '89 and sold in '89 .... it's a 1989 car and will show that on the rego papers ....

As far as I'm concerned, he is selling a 1989 model car, regardless of what "Porsche" say . ...

I understand "most" of what you have all said although .....

If a car is built in '89 and sold new in '90 I get that it's a 1990 car ....

But if a car is built in '89 and sold in '89 .... it's a 1989 car and will show that on the rego papers ....

As far as I'm concerned, he is selling a 1989 model car, regardless of what "Porsche" say . ...

No he is not, Porsche most likely made model differences for the 1990 model year so you cannot call it a 1989 car if it is built as a 1990 car. The rego papers will only show when it was registered.

What's its compliance say ? Nice car, very nice ... though interior exquisite and  funkie not one for me despite my tartan persuasions..  

belongs to a gent on PFA

Looks like a really nice car, I wonder if having 6 Turbos and 3 S2's on the market will hurt his chances??

I can't remember the last time I saw twenty 944's for sale?  Interesting times.

Thanks for clearing that up ANF .... I get what you are saying now ....

I suppose that generally a car is listed for sale as either the year of build, year of compliance or year of rego .... and as most likely they are all in 1989, I just lump it in that year ....

I suppose that generally a car is listed for sale as either the year of build, year of compliance or year of rego .... and as most likely they are all in 1989, I just lump it in that year ....

As I said, confusing...... I tried to change my rego papers to reflect 1983, but could not do it as the build date is Sept (not Aug!) 1982.... I am not sure when it was first registered as it came from interstate and the Sept date may just be when it came into Australia as it is not a factory plate..... all very confusing.....

Actually, you still need clarification. The MY (model year) is independent of year of build, year of compliance, and year of rego. The MY (which defines the standard spec for that model for that year, and what options were available etc.) is unambiguous when the VIN and engine numbers are examined. E.g., for MY 1990, the VIN and engines have an L, for 1989, they have a K. For the MY 1989 S2s, for example, ABS was an option. For MY 1990, ABS became standard equipment. 

The most obvious and dramatic MY change was, of course, the MY 85->86 change. Many model year 86 cars were built, complied and registered in 1985. But they all have MY 86 VINs and engine numbers. 

It's also important to know what your correct MY is when ordering parts, obviously. So check your VIN if you aren't certain.

These are old Porsches. No-one really cares whether you are 59 or 60 , or 78 or 81 - when you are old. You are just old. Even if you lie a bit about your age , to most you are still just old. And perhaps a bit fibby , but who isn't?

Huh?:mellow:

These are old Porsches. No-one really cares whether you are 59 or 60 , or 78 or 81 - when you are old. You are just old. Even if you lie a bit about your age , to most you are still just old. And perhaps a bit fibby , but who isn't?

Disagree. If you are after a 944 NA, for example, the difference between a car that is 31yrs 11 months old (MY 85) and one that is 31yrs 6 months old (MY 86) is highly significant. The MY 86 is an improved car in so many ways.

MY 86->87 saw a change in wheel offsets and front control arms, then MY 88->89 saw a displacement increase from 2.5L to 2.7L.

If you want to know what you are buying, knowing the correct MY is important. It's not a vanity issue about the age, it's a much more basic issue about the spec.

Some beautiful examples on there at the moment with big prices, nothing is selling...... Maybe we are just used to the $30k cars selling in less than a day. It will be interesting to see what sells and how quickly?

Disagree. If you are after a 944 NA, for example, the difference between a car that is 31yrs 11 months old (MY 85) and one that is 31yrs 6 months old (MY 86) is highly significant. The MY 86 is an improved car in so many ways.

MY 86->87 saw a change in wheel offsets and front control arms, then MY 88->89 saw a displacement increase from 2.5L to 2.7L.

If you want to know what you are buying, knowing the correct MY is important. It's not a vanity issue about the age, it's a much more basic issue about the spec.

It's quite easy (and necessary when chasing classic cars) to research the model and have a checklist to tick off against pictures on the ad , and/or subsequent enquiries. If the vendor is a bit lacking in his knowledge , I'd be wary full stop. If you think he's sitting on a jewel and doesn't know it , say nothing. Car ads are just a starting point for negotiation , and a helpful vendor will comply with further info if requested.
A square dash vs oval dash is pretty easy to spot !
If you skip the basic model variation due diligence you will be sweating the "build date" and suchlike , unnecessary sweat IMO.

Nothing wrong with the '85 944. It is what it is , a fun capsule of the times , and I love driving it all over the place. But today I might take the 4+4cyl version.