There seems to be a huge disparity in 944 pricing, i think that is overpriced compared to a turbo for example.

Tingy, you may be right, I may have overpriced my 944.

I looked at what was on the market and the asking prices and placed it where I thought it fitted, as a clean example of an oval dash 944.

Same price as an '88 with one photo and 205,000Km that probably is an import and looks to be sold.

$2,500 more than an '85 automatic with 282,000Km. Looking at those examples, I think that my price of $22,000 is fair.

I really prefer the look of the Fuchs rims and they are a bit of a rarety on a 944 so may increase the value some.

Time will tell what the market says and I may be wrong.

I looked at what was on the market and the asking prices and placed it where I thought it fitted, as a clean example of an oval dash 944.

Same price as an '88 with one photo and 205,000Km that probably is an import and looks to be sold.

$2,500 more than an '85 automatic with 282,000Km. Looking at those examples, I think that my price of $22,000 is fair.

I really prefer the look of the Fuchs rims and they are a bit of a rarety on a 944 so may increase the value some.

Hi Rob, I was actually referring to the white car, at the time i didn't realise there was another for sale for the same price.

$22k to me means i pick it up and drive it and don't need to spend any money for 12 months with all servicing etc up to date, I  too love the Fuchs on a 944, good luck with the sale, looks very tidy.

Good luck with the sale Rob, looks like a really nice car and at the end of the day pretty cheap way to get into Porsche ownership. Someone will grab it. 

It will be really interesting to see what sells and when? No big dollar car has been sold yet and it's been a week..... 

Offers are being negotiated all the time and I expect it sometimes takes a while for carsales edits to catch up.......watch this space ;).

Offers are being negotiated all the time and I expect it sometimes takes a while for carsales edits to catch up.......watch this space ;).

I assume you were speaking about the Black S2? Hope someone on here grabbed it. 

I assume you were speaking about the Black S2? Hope someone on here grabbed it. 

Now showing as sold:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4600790?WT.seg_4=SoldAlert;PCAA

Can't say I'm very surprised -- that was a pretty sharp car. (And black as well, which will always get a premium, being the most desirable colour, of course. ;) )

Congrats to whomever bought the car!

Edited by Plugger2
to whom and therefore to whomever

Now showing as sold:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/_/SSE-AD-4600790?WT.seg_4=SoldAlert;PCAA

Can't say I'm very surprised -- that was a pretty sharp car. (And black as well, which will always get a premium, being the most desirable colour, of course. ;) )

Congrats to whomever bought the car!

Hey Plugger, is your S2 black?

I have three black cars and one silver.  I often hear people referring to boring Porsche colours like black & silver, yet to be honest I don't see many mid 80's cars in black.  That was the era when all those copper / bronze colours appeared.  In the early days, most black cars were either taxis or hearses.  I think black became more popular in the 2000's and therefore more common on lots of cars.  They are a pain in the ass to keep clean and stop swirls but I think they are one of the best combinations.

FullSizeRender_zpse81kurhf.jpg

Hey Plugger, is your S2 black?

I have three black cars and one silver.  I often hear people referring to boring Porsche colours like black & silver, yet to be honest I don't see many mid 80's cars in black.  That was the era when all those copper / bronze colours appeared.  In the early days, most black cars were either taxis or hearses.  I think black became more popular in the 2000's and therefore more common on lots of cars.  They are a pain in the ass to keep clean and stop swirls but I think they are one of the best combinations.

FullSizeRender_zpse81kurhf.jpg

Very nice -- now *that's* a Porsche! :D

And yes, my S2 is black. I've found that black cars are harder to keep clean, but when they are clean, the wow factor is worth it. A highly polished black P-car just takes the drama to its own level, imho.

Mind you, I haven't found black harder than other solid colours (such as red) to keep clean -- the only cars that seem not to show the dirt in my experience are the lighter metallics. I have a BMW 325i in light green metallic ("graugruen" or "grey/green") for a DD, and that is a slackers dream -- it just never looks dirty, no much how much grunge is actually on it. Someone once commented that silver cars don't show the dirt, but on the other hand, they never look 100% clean, either, and I understand the point.

I must admit I really like Caymans in classic solid black as well -- not so keen on the "basalt black" colour though, which has the metallic fleck in it.

So for a DD, black (or many solid colours) wouldn't be a first choice. But for a moving piece of automotive art like a 944, well --- there is no substitute. ;)

Well another N/A 944 pre 85.5 car is gone off carsales, I know this one is heading for the mid north coast with a very proud first Pcar owner.  I will get him on the PFA & photo's to follow.  Price paid is unclear at the moment, but I know there was negotiations below advertised price. 

Well another N/A 944 pre 85.5 car is gone off carsales, I know this one is heading for the mid north coast with a very proud first Pcar owner.  I will get him on the PFA & photo's to follow.  Price paid is unclear at the moment, but I know there was negotiations below advertised price. 

if early 356's are worth more than later 356's then why not the same for 944's ? , setting apart the hero model (s) of the generation.

if early 356's are worth more than later 356's then why not the same for 944's ? , setting apart the hero model (s) of the generation.

I have been saying this generally speaking on 944's for a a while now, they are a great car and people only realize this after they have driven one, and mostly this is only after they have acquired one.

The first series is not as sought after as the series 2 or 85.5 cars as the oval dash seems to be more desirable to most people, pre 85.5 cars are still a great drive though.

The puzzling thing for me is some owners are happy to talk down the pricing of these front engine beauties.

I have never driven a series 1 944 but I would not think they would be much different to a series 2, As far as being desirable, I think the thing is because these cars were low cost for so long, some people that purchased them, did so for the badge and did not give them the TLC they so deserved, hence finding a good one that you don't have to spend five times what you pay for it just to get it back up the the standard it deserves is the main problem.

They are fantastic cars & I for one am guilty of looking for so long and not trying, thank goodness those days are gone. Could be a cars & coffee central coast April transaxle gathering coming on.

By this same argument where convertible 356's are more valuable than coupe 356's the 944 convertible should be more expensive than coupe or even 911 convertible against coupes, but sadly not. 

By this same argument where convertible 356's are more valuable than coupe 356's the 944 convertible should be more expensive than coupe or even 911 convertible against coupes, but sadly not. 

And to think that a convertible 911 was more expensive new than a coupe .... :blink: