How can you tell the build date?

PomBstard

With prices and exchange rates being what they are, I've started searching overseas, esp UK, for decent 944T or S2. I'm aware of the potential for corrosion, and have a few friends who can help with viewing and confirming the state of any car.

Now, I know I'm looking for a build date of before 1 Jan 1989, but how do I confirm that? I've seen a couple that are MY89 and might we have been built in 88 - does the VIN give it up somehow, or is it a case of checking with the factory or some other knowledge base?? For those that are unaware, its not been a requirement for UK cars to have a 'build date' plaque on the car.

Hey Pom,

I don't believe it's in the VIN number (mines not) but I am sure you can confirm the number with Porsche in the UK - probably a good move.

The build date is printed on the same plate as the VIN and is located under the bonnet behind the drivers side strut (from memory).

Cheers,

As I've just been turned down import approval for my 944 cab because it's build date is early 1989, See below

"I have assessed your application to import a 1988 Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet under the vehicles manufacture before 1 January 1989 Option and your application fails to meet this option by:

The manufacturer has confirmed the Porsche 944S2 VIN WP0ZZZ94ZKN431*** was manufactured in 1989. As the Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet VIN WP0ZZZ94ZKN431*** was manufactured in 1989 you cannot import the vehicle under the Vehicles manufactured before 1989 option"

Porsche parts dept can give you an idea of build date but to know for definate, you 'll have to pay for a authenticity certificate , £100 approx

P.s Cab is on the boat on it's way over here as I type,

Just remembered, I read that there is a (paper) sticker by the fusebox which is supposed to have the build date on it, Mine was missing

The serial you are looking for should go something like  this *WP0ZZZ94ZKN412345*

W - Germany (before 1989 West Germany)

P - Porsche

0 - sports car

ZZZ - Europe/RoW

94 Porsche model number or internal model number

Z - Europe/RoW

K for 89

N - Neckarsulm Audi factory (924, 944)

4  model number or internal model number

12345 Serial number or production build number

Thanks for all the help so far. I think the only way to confirm is to get in touch with Porsche UK, which I'd do anyway, before loading onto a boat. The VIN code would only be a model year, not a build date, and I'd be a bit doubtful of too many having the paper label next to the fuse box after 27 years.

I did get a lead from one of the guys selling a car I'm chasing in the UK - www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk gives the date of first registration which is a clue. My guess is that a late-89 reg is unlikely to be on a late-88 built S2 though both would be advertised and registered as a 1989 car.

As I've just been turned down import approval for my 944 cab because it's build date is early 1989, See below

"I have assessed your application to import a 1988 Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet under the vehicles manufacture before 1 January 1989 Option and your application fails to meet this option by:

The manufacturer has confirmed the Porsche 944S2 VIN WP0ZZZ94ZKN431*** was manufactured in 1989. As the Porsche 944S2 Cabriolet VIN WP0ZZZ94ZKN431*** was manufactured in 1989 you cannot import the vehicle under the Vehicles manufactured before 1989 option"

Porsche parts dept can give you an idea of build date but to know for definate, you 'll have to pay for a authenticity certificate , £100 approx

P.s Cab is on the boat on it's way over here as I type,

Just remembered, I read that there is a (paper) sticker by the fusebox which is supposed to have the build date on it, Mine was missing

Sorry for my ignorance, but if your application to import has been rejected and the car is already on the vessel, what happens next? 

Hi Rob , that small rectangular alloy plate with the two small rivets ( in you're photo ) which is aprox 2 CM X 8 CM was made here and installed here by Porsche Cars Australia , this was started here in Australia around the early 1980's on all officially imported" New" Porsche's , I think it was only Australia how did that particular thing

So that's why on ( as example ) a private import from say UK / HK does not have that small rectangular plate

This tiny rectangular plate is not to be confused with an  Australian compliance plate ( 9CM X 9 CM )which is also fitted here by PCA

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Hi Rob , that small rectangular alloy plate with the two small rivets ( in you're photo ) which is aprox 2 CM X 8 CM was made here and installed here by Porsche Cars Australia , this was started here in Australia around the early 1980's on all officially imported" New" Porsche's , I think it was only Australia how did that particular thing

So that's why on ( as example ) a private import from say UK / HK does not have that small rectangular plate

This tiny rectangular plate is not to be confused with an  Australian compliance plate ( 9CM X 9 CM )which is also fitted here by PCA

Regards

Bruce Buchanan

Hi Bruce,

I'm hoping that this isn't a stupid question, but I've seen people quote in ads "My 944 was the 25th one into Australia for 1986" or whatever. Is there anyway to tell this from the plates fitted under the bonnet or would they have contacted Porsche Australia for that?  I've had a brief look but couldn't decipher anything that would appear to give this information???

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark , in relation to things like " this was the 25th one into Australia " stuff like that , you have to contact PCA to see what they can find in their old records . I must admit I did get a laugh out of you're example " my 944 was the 25th one into Australia in 1986 ", If I saw that advertisement, I would feel complelled to ring the advertised number as to why on earth would that be special 

Regards

Bruce B

Hi Mark , in relation to things like " this was the 25th one into Australia " stuff like that , you have to contact PCA to see what they can find in their old records . I must admit I did get a laugh out of you're example " my 944 was the 25th one into Australia in 1986 ", If I saw that advertisement, I would feel complelled to ring the advertised number as to why on earth would that be special 

Regards

Bruce B

Because it was in the bottom of the boat and got less sea spray on it on the way over?

Sorry for my ignorance, but if your application to import has been rejected and the car is already on the vessel, what happens next? 

The nice lady at the department approved it as a personal import as I could prove I have used it for over a decade when visiting the UK as well as when we were living there for 3 years recently

• 1 month later...

All in all, about $5K+, this includes everything foer a car valued at $7500 (thanks to a very friendly valuer) except modification and rego

Cheaper option than RORO is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rsBDwr1as

http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/

Hmmm - I've got a short trip to the UK coming up, might have a squizz at a couple of S2s and see if I can figure it out. Garage currently full with a 928 but there's no rush...:)

Yep, well known as a scam. Mine was $500, $250 for the tilt tray "because it couldn't use the road" even though it was driven 1.4 miles from the port to the steam cleaner and someone kicked the shit out of it the whole way there according to the remaining fuel in the tank.

4 years later I'm still not bitter about it, at all :angry:

For the RORO question, I'd say no, always go for a container. With a container the car's safe and can be packed with 'stuff', whereas RORO I read too many stories of cars being damaged, badges nicked, dents etc for me. 4 1/2 years ago a 20 ft container from the UK was £1800, I'd do that again.

Archived