[QLD] Wanted - small auto for my daughter c~5k

WOKA

May as well ask here..  You never know.

My daughter just got her P's.. She had a perfectly good A class Merc, but it was a manual which at the very last moment decided she didn't want - and got an auto licence.  Kids - go figure..

So - Anyone in SEQ got any leads on a decent 4 cylinder / 4 door auto vehicle..  Toyota Corolla / Ford Fiesta / Honda Jazz etc..?

Any feedback on what to avoid..?

Looking to cap the price at 5k - but there is more for the right car.

Thanks in advance.!

For that price range I'd be looking at Kia Ceratos.  All the others you mentioned will be really old or really high kms.

Avoid the cvt Honda Jazzes but the later conventional auto ones are great but out of your price range.

i really think you need to spend more than $5k if you want something decent unless your daughter is studying to be a mechanic.

We've had a 5k Corrolla 2006 170klm. Zero issues. Timing belt.

They're good value for the bucks. I have a 1998 with 325k on it. Everything works fine including electric windows and mirrors. 

They are good kerb weight for traction in the wet.

They ain't no Merc.

A Hyundai etc will get you more for your 5k.

Mazda 3 2006 are 3 to 5k timing chain.

We made our daughter go for her licence in a manual ..... I figured it was like riding a bike .... everyone needs to at least know how. Then if she ever needed to, she could.

She drove a little Kia Rio (2008 manual) for 2 years and loved it. She now has an auto 4wd.

Can only say good things about it. It never missed a beat.

Could have helped you with a good little car if you wanted a manual as we are selling hers now.

Good luck in your search .....

Dont discount the Hyundai's i have a 2008 i30 and it hasn't missed a beat in 2 years, and im slack with it, all i do is change oil every 6mths, drive to work and back and park it for 3 days, they have a timing chain.

Our 3rd son is about to take over our '05 Hyundai Accent , which has been uber reliable , is plenty zippy and very simple to maintain.

Because I was busy I made 2nd son get the cambelt /WP etc job done; $77/hr 2 and a bit hours and $150 parts. (1st son has a Toyota 86 , because he's earning!)

It's worth about 3k , but really there's no point in "upgrading" to a more modern blob. Neighbours don't care!

You can't go wrong with a gen 2 or 3 Suzuki swift. The 1.5L auto is a bit gutless in the hills, but great around the burbs. The 2011 manual 1.4L glx we had was one of the best cars I've had.  4.6l/100km, 7 airbags, esp, abs. Everything you want in a car for the kids.  And no cam belts.

Be careful of Fiestas, the Uni where I work, used to give us them as our "company" cars, but after the auto dramas returned them all.

We have been contacted by many Ford vehicles owners whom allege that the vehicles equipped with the Powershift transmission are defective in that, amongst other problems, the transmission slips, bucks, jerks, and harshly engages when driven. Further, they allege that, without warning, they have experienced, whilst driving, sudden acceleration, delay in downshifts, delayed acceleration, and, in some circumstances, difficulty in stopping the vehicle whilst braking. Some consumers are concerned that, as a result of their experiences on the road, their vehicles are unsafe to drive. 

For my money and for my son (a few years to go yet...) it would be something like and Audi A3, VW Golf or similar quality euro car, servicing and maintenance will be no more scary than anything else. Something that has quality, safety and has good dynamics.

You should get good examples of both for $5k ish and others

for my son (a few years to go yet...) it would be something like and Audi A3, VW Golf or similar quality euro car, servicing and maintenance will be no more scary

Insurance will be scary! Until they turn 20 something!

Sorted..

2006 Suzuki Swift / 105000km / Auto / 6 mths rego

One Owner - FSH and just had a major service including brakes, rotors, wheel bearings & belts, ignition leads, new battery and tyres.

$5250.00 - Bargain 

V9ZSTqQ.jpg

Archived