Barney - old, fat & grey #84rney

Oh ok... Thanks MFX.  But surely, it's small compared to the flare option, no? So, the full panel is way more $$?

To be honest I am not sure how far the replacement full quarter goes, but the factory one is folded with the roof to form the drip rail. I think cutting and welding in the flare is the easier way to go.

From what I know, the original ST or RSR flares, were basically hand made, so they are not a set style. There are reproductions that are available, but I believe they are only the flare, so you would not have a choice but to cut and weld in. The main visual difference it seems is that the ST/RSR flares are more rounded than the 930 flares which have more of a visual angle in them. From what I gather they are basically the same width and many people like myself just go for the 930 style for ease of availability.

Hi p-pang,

been reading and checking this post with interest... Love your work or your wallet or maybe both!!

I'm an RSR fan and interested in the flare option as I have an RS. I'm confused between 930 turbo flares, RSR flares and ST flares. There is evidently a difference in the shape (?) which I'm not quite across but wondering which are yours. What did Stan get you?

Also, I hear that adding flares is a lot of work so was also wondering if you & your panel guy sussed out buying the full quarter panels to save all that cutting and welding... I have no idea what a whole panel costs but did you do a compare of $$ before  going the flare option?

philby

Hey Philby,

Yeah I struggled for a long time behind the 930 vs RSR style flares and due to the scarcity (and $$) of metal RSR flares, decided to go the 930 route. As MFX pointed out, the RSR is more rounded but the tapering is different as well. RSR seems to be more angled where's the 930 are more vertical. To be honest, i prefer the RSR flare in look but I was quite adamant about wanting to go mostly metal. During my research as well, people were saying that RSR flares from factory were all hand made so were all slightly different. That didn't play a part in my decision but was interesting. 

I also debated doing what MFX did with FRP RSR front flares and 930 rears but was worried that it wouldn't match. Now seeing MFX's video, I'm 2nd guessing that decision but overall i'm still happy. Other difference is that the 930 has a more pronounced vertical lip  I've asked my body guy to try and smooth out the lip. Hopefully he can. There's a good thread on PP that actually shows the differences between the lips with photos.

In terms of quarter panel vs flare, I decided to go with flares as it was the cheaper option. Rear quarters are harder to source and still require welding. Figured more of the original body i kept on the car, the better. 

Yes fitting rear flares was a lot of work and took my bodyshop a long time. MFX did it in his video so if you want to see what it entails, recommend checking his youtube channel out. 

Edited by privatepang

Hey Philby,

Yeah I struggled for a long time behind the 930 vs RSR style flares and due to the scarcity (and $$) of metal RSR flares, decided to go the 930 route. As MFX pointed out, the RSR is more rounded but the tapering is different as well. RSR seems to be more angled where's the 930 are more vertical. To be honest, i prefer the RSR flare in look but I was quite adamant about wanting to go mostly metal. During my research as well, people were saying that RSR flares from factory were all hand made so were all slightly different. That didn't play a part in my decision but was interesting. 

I also debated doing what MFX did with FRP RSR front flares and 930 rears but was worried that it wouldn't match. Now seeing MFX's video, I'm 2nd guessing that decision but overall i'm still happy. Other difference is that the 930 has a more pronounced vertical lip  I've asked my body guy to try and smooth out the lip. Hopefully he can. There's a good thread on PP that actually shows the differences between the lips with photos.

In terms of quarter panel vs flare, I decided to go with flares as it was the cheaper option. Rear quarters are harder to source and still require welding. Figured more of the original body i kept on the car, the better. 

Yes fitting rear flares was a lot of work and took my bodyshop a long time. MFX did it in his video so if you want to see what it entails, recommend checking his youtube channel out. 

I am keen to see how yours come out, as it is already looking great. As for my fronts, I am pretty sure they are just moulded on 930 guards that have been extended anyway. The steel route you are going is better I think, I just took the easy way out ;) 

Thanks mate, helpful info. Btw, your car s looking great! ?

If you want to see the real ones, check out my Le Mans video. The yellow ST in that is original, and in the Rennsport one the Gulf Blue RSR is also original. Stunning cars.

• 1 month later...

So its been about 2 months since last update and it's been slow going. My fitter has been super busy but fortunately has been able to dedicate more time to the car as of late. 

Prior post, the smash repairer loosely fitted as many of the fibreglass panels on to make it easy to ship the car. As I've seen in many build threads, although the quality of the parts is pretty good, fitment has been challenging to say the least. A lot of cutting, and extending etc had to be done. Kudos to Jeff for doing it on his own but I'm pretty sure I would have failed miserably if i tried to DIY this myself.

So first thing that had to be done was to use an airsaw to cut out the middle metal bar that sits just under the engine lid. Once this was done, he loosely fit the bar and as you can see, the sides were quite far off from where it  means the rear flares. 

Right side wasn't too bad but still needed work

20161021_154158_zpsz8vl0y59.jpg

Left side fitment was a lot worse

20161021_154050_zpsiqbjnqlj.jpg

The ducktail didn't sit right either as where it mounted to the brackets wasn't level. 

20161021_154206_zpswlnr209e.jpg

We had a look at a lot of photos of RSRs (Thanks Raven for all the photos in thread!) and although some cars have the bar and rear flare completely flush, i preferred the look where it tapers out. Ducktail mounting points was also fixed up so it's now level

20161108_111323_zpsljmoosbz.jpeg

The front hood was also not quite level and had to be cut and reglassed to make sure it was all level. Unfortunately the gas struts I have in there are also too strong as the glass hood is obviously much lighter than the steel ones so i'll need to order a new strut. The latch mechanism also needs to be modified as I ordered the custom hood that has the mounting point in the short hood position so it makes it a lot harder to open. I've seen how Jeff did it in his vid so may need to do the same but i'll deal with that a bit later on. 

20161109_141845_zpsosa8tck8.jpeg

Next up was the front indicator housing. I opted for the fibreglass add ons instead of going full steel here. It was considerably cheaper and end of the day, if i have an accident there, i don't think steel vs fibreglass would make much of a difference. Fitter had to mould it onto the front guards and the hard bit was extending it so it extends the floor flares. The pieces i got were for a narrow body car so this was unavoidable. Brackets also had to be built to support the indicators themselves. The stock window washer reservoir also had to be taken out as well as the back of the indicators on that side was hitting the reservoir. It never worked so wasn't too fussed to be honest.

20161115_165612_zps63qmhsx0.jpeg

In terms of the front bar, I prefer the cleaner look of the ST front bar (using Jack Olsens car as an example) and struggled to source one locally. The best one that was sourced for me was through a supplier in Queensland. They extended a standard bar to give me the look I wanted and I was warned that it would need a fair bit of work to get it to fit right. Boy were they right. It's still being fixed as we speak but the initial fitment was way off. I dont have pics of the very first fitment but essentially the bar had to be shortened and slimmed down as it sat quite far from the body. My fitter sent me the pics this morning and it didn't quite look right to me.

181116-3_zpsdus4pbbm.jpeg

181116-1_zpsup6chm7b.jpeg

181116-2_zpsflo3fdsw.jpeg

Anyway i was in a bit of a panic as I wanted it to look right especially after all the hassle its been to get the car up to this point. We compared it to more RSR photos (thank that thread again) and again there seems to be a fair bit of differences between each RSR pic but  weagreed on a similar approach to the rear where it tapers towards the flares so he cut the bar down again and will be extending it to the front flare but at least now the area in front of the indicator housing looks a lot better. 

20161118_152910_zpsty7vwtna.jpeg

That pretty much catches us up. I have mad respect for these fitters and didn't really appreciate how much work went into fitting these sort of panels. Hopefully the car will be heading back to the smash repairers in 3 to 4 days with a goal to get it ready for paint by the end of the year. We are already 2 months over the estimated completion date but everyone knows these things always run longer than expected! Til the next update.

Edited by privatepang

It looks like the front bumper issue is that whoever widened it to fit the wider front guards, just cut it in the middle, moved the two pieces apart and filled in the gap, instead of trying to pie cut an stretch the sides out. Looks like it is sorted now, but a lot of work. Good perseverance though. 

Thanks for the detailed update, p-p... Fascinating to see and also so excruciating to see all that time and money going into getting those panels right... Good luck. Just wanted to say appreciate the forum effort and admire the workshop efforts too of course.

• 2 months later...

Sorry guys, it's definitely not staying aubergine. Figure it's not going to be an original car anyways so should pick a colour i absolutely love.

Progress has been very slow going unfortunately. My arrangement with the panel beater is that my car takes a lower priority than his insurance jobs. To date, the car has been off the road for a year now so i'm really hoping to get it all done this half of 2017. 

Progress wise, my body panel guy finished all the fibreglass work. I'm not 100 % happy with the way the front bar looks but it's the best he can do. I still need to get the rubbers sorted for the front bar as well. So rest of work required will be stripping the car back to metal and getting the pre paint stuff done. Ive been told it'll be starting shortly so fingers crossed that we hit our target dates.

Few pics:

IMG-20161210-WA0009_zpsnygtc5n9.jpg

IMG-20161210-WA0003_zpsxbk1lfkg.jpg

IMG-20161210-WA0006_zpsjtkvpqqk.jpg

IMG-20161210-WA0005_zpsebrqcnui.jpg

IMG-20161210-WA0002_zpsqnim21zu.jpg

IMG-20161210-WA0008_zpstpz8anbb.jpg

Car is now sitting on space savers as i don't want to damage the lindsay wheels during the paint process

Edited by privatepang

The rubber and alloy deco trims for the bumpers?  If thats what you mean, get onto rennspd.com

I bought mine from there. Cheaper price, cheaper freight than anywhere else and here within a week. Just make sure you get the early thin rubber ones, not the S style. They look horrid

Also have the sill deco trims if you're fitting them

Sorry guys, it's definitely not staying aubergine. Figure it's not going to be an original car anyways so should pick a colour i absolutely love.

Well part of me thinks that's a shame, and the other part says good on you for letting go of what you should do and embracing what you want to do.  These types of builds don't come along very often so you've got to go with what makes you happiest.

The rubber and alloy deco trims for the bumpers?  If thats what you mean, get onto rennspd.com

I bought mine from there. Cheaper price, cheaper freight than anywhere else and here within a week. Just make sure you get the early thin rubber ones, not the S style. They look horrid

Also have the sill deco trims if you're fitting them

Yeah funny that. I got the rubbers from rennspeed but they don't seem to fit properly. Rears fit fine. I sent a pic of the packagin back to rennspeed guys and they were confident it was the right one. O well. Will see what other options i have,

O already have sill deco trims which i'll be re using.

Well part of me thinks that's a shame, and the other part says good on you for letting go of what you should do and embracing what you want to do.  These types of builds don't come along very often so you've got to go with what makes you happiest.

Yeah thats pretty much it. Hopefully wont have to do body work again. Was defintely umming and arring about it for a while as i wouldn't have had to respray interior but yeah made the decision and hopefully it all pans out. 

• 1 month later...

So another mini update. I've been slowly collecting parts for Barney and bought a Momo Mod07 years ago which i was planning on installing. Guess years went by and my tastes inevitably changed and when 9er posted a pic of the Jackie Stewart he repaired, I couldn't resist so decided to change it up and bought it from him. He did a great job and fortunately i was able to sell my mod07 to cover the cost of the JS. 

20170304_082347_zpsvxodv8hg.jpg

Got my 2.7 engine dropped as it was time to get the engine bay painted up. Few of you may have seen my For Sale thread. After reading a lot of your feedback, i've been in 2 minds about keeping/selling the motor and basically came down to allowing the price to dictate my decision. If I get close to what i'm asking, i'll sell it otherwise I'll look at keeping it

c7b64166-cd62-4491-b90e-55bc2d38d2a1_zps

After the engine was dropped, I had to go in and help strip out the rest of the random parts from the engine bay in preparation for painting it.

20170311_090754_zpsjbajo7r2.jpg

Took a quick snap of the door being stripped down to bare metal. Plan is to do this for the whole car. 

20170318_093448_zpspgmjo48h.jpg

Lastly, been tossing up a few colour options and after scouring the internet for RSR images as well as a lot of the pics that were posted in the RSR Backdate thread, decided on a colour called Grigio Telesto. Was able to get a sample sprayed onto a paint cup and mulled over the weekend about it. Had a look at it in different lights and I'm not convinced that this is the right colour for me. Doesn't look too modern/metallic.

c1bcf0dc-26eb-4e3e-aa61-2107abb6c180_zps

Edited by privatepang

I also looked at replacing my engine, as it would be much easier in some ways, to just drop in a 3.2, or 3.6 and get an instant hp increase without the hassle. But for the price of one of those engines, second hand, with no guarantee's, it left a lot to be desired. I am also looking forward to learning about building an engine. @Mike D'Silva just did his 964 and it looks like a really rewarding exercise. I say go for it, particularly as it is the matching numbers engine (it is isn't it?). You keep a bit of authenticity with the car which doesn't hurt either.  

I also looked at replacing my engine, as it would be much easier in some ways, to just drop in a 3.2, or 3.6 and get an instant hp increase without the hassle. But for the price of one of those engines, second hand, with no guarantee's, it left a lot to be desired. I am also looking forward to learning about building an engine. @Mike D'Silva just did his 964 and it looks like a really rewarding exercise. I say go for it, particularly as it is the matching numbers engine (it is isn't it?). You keep a bit of authenticity with the car which doesn't hurt either.  

Well I've actually got a replacement engine waiting to be installed once the body is done :) Built 3.2L twin plug courtesy of Stan @ Performance9

Guess now that cats out of the bag. Stan's been great to deal with and i've gotten the majority of parts for this build through him. About 8 months ago, a 3.6L 964 motor (with no history) came up in Melb for sale. I sent the link to Stan to get his feedback and it so happened that he bought back one of his ex race cars which he had sold some previous years earlier. He was looking to sell the motor and it fit the bill and i pulled the trigger. End of the day, buying a used motor is always a risk and Stan's reputation gives me a higher level of confidence in making this investment. 

This is what it looked like when it was sent to the mechanic

IMG_1739_zpsj2qrr6tt.jpg

This is how it currently looks:

unnamed_zpslxofdrnz.jpg

35Twin_zpsj3diwppp.jpg

Cant wait to get it into Barney once the body is done.

Edited by privatepang

• 3 months later...

So getting closer inch by inch. As of last Saturday. guards, front rear bumpers, ducktail, hood have all been polyestered. Body guy was able to slughtly round out the top of the lip. I am not a fan of the vertical lips on the 930 flares so glad this was done. Next will be high fill then onto paint. Hoping to get body done by end of August and looks like we are on track. Been a long 1.5 years but the end is in sight!

20170715_11271720170715_112707

20170715_11265020170715_112532

20170715_11120520170715_111302

Edited by privatepang