Cab v coupe

SteveC

Can't comment about the hairdresser's car, but itsujack is spot on about the cars you mention. There is a reason why those cabs haven't sold and while it is tempting, it is a very different driving experience, plus when you do eventually come to sell, you are likely to have the same struggles as currently being seen. Patience is your friend. It can take a long time to find the right car. My first Porsche took me nearly 5 months to find, although my second one was offered to me the day I sold my other one! You never know how long it will take.

Chalk and cheese for those models. A Boxster Spyder however... :wub:

used to have a Pdk spyder when they first came out...

Can't comment about the hairdresser's car, but itsujack is spot on about the cars you mention. There is a reason why those cabs haven't sold and while it is tempting, it is a very different driving experience, plus when you do eventually come to sell, you are likely to have the same struggles as currently being seen. Patience is your friend. It can take a long time to find the right car. My first Porsche took me nearly 5 months to find, although my second one was offered to me the day I sold my other one! You never know how long it will take.

patience is a rare virtue these days, especially with modern customers

perhaps I'll keep looking for coupes

The Kids says

With all due respect to cab owners IMO I never thought the 911 (or 356, except speedster with top down) ever looked good topless - just wasn't designed that way.

Boxster is different because it was.

However the 993 speedster (one of two factory cars ) and the neinmeister pommie conversion to my eyes looks pretty cool!

do you guys find a discernible difference between the two for the c3 / 930 / 964 era?

asking due to the broader choice of cabs sitting stale on carsales...

Steve,

Why don't you take a cab for a drive and see what you think yourself and not worry about what the peanut gallery think? :) 

If you find you like it it would make purchasing a good car a whole lot easier and cheaper so I reckon its worth the effort to at least drive one.

As for any rational reason for not buying a cab I don't think there are any reasons not to.  They may realise a lower price when reselling but that is well offset by a cheaper initial purchase cost, they don't seem to have any body cracking or greater rust issues and a well driven one is plenty fast around corners so there is no reason to be the slowest at SMT!

I've also noticed cab drivers on the whole seem to a happy bunch as well.

(Suggest you look at Targa's as well in the c3.2's as there always looks to be some good buys with those as well.) 

The Kid says

The Kid says  

The Kid says

The Kids says.

Mate,

Isn't there an Seinfeld episode about you? 

Before I purchased my 964 Coupe, a mate was kind enough to leave me his 964 Cabriolet for a month while he was overseas. 

His is a bone stock C4, mine is a C4 with Billstein shocks and Eibach springs plus a front strut brace and they couldn't have felt more different in terms of chassis dynamics. However, it was his cab that got me hooked on an air-cooled 911 and the same driving sensation and pleasure is felt when cruising at regular speeds. The sounds, smells, feels are still there, the difference is glaringly  obvious when you start to really push the car.

So what do you want from the car? Are you attracted to the overall design of a cabriolet 911?

I think you either want a cabriolet or you don't. It shouldn't be a compromise which lands you in one. 

UK import 3.2 Targa for sale on carsales looks good though, I've been eyeing this one off an it is down to $50k!

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1983/SSE-AD-4105994/?Cr=13

Blunt and to the point, beat me to it :P

I agree and had thought about it although perhaps Peter M answered the question already to wait and be patient. The primary motivator for the cab was the price, and I perhaps could have worded the question for those who had owned both and spotted differences in the way the cars drove. Whilst this may not be the most accurate comparison, I found the cayman substantially a better drive than the boxster if how the car felt and they way it inspired easier confidence and testing the limits which came through owning the cars and was wondering if the same translated to the air cooled cabs.

I find a test drives may not give you the full picture as I don't own an air cooled i'm not familiar with the intricacies of the car I wouldn't immediately spot them, and I wouldn't push the car at all not being mine. For me its feeling whether everything drove ok for the car, any strange noises, unexplained hesitancy with braking or throttle and not necessarily finding its limits. 

Patience!

the difference is glaringly  obvious when you start to really push the car.

Could you perhaps describe in a few more words?

I enjoy the look of a coupe, and not knowing the true value of a cab/targa/coupe find it quite surprising how the coupe is sometimes 2 or 3x the price

I also found when you started to fiddle with the suspension of a boxster, it seemed like the shortcomings of chassis started showing whereas a coupe seemed to just step up in handling

Could you perhaps describe in a few more words?

I enjoy the look of a coupe, and not knowing the true value of a cab/targa/coupe find it quite surprising how the coupe is sometimes 2 or 3x the price

I also found when you started to fiddle with the suspension of a boxster, it seemed like the shortcomings of chassis started showing whereas a coupe seemed to just step up in handling

A lot of understeer, very floaty, not very confidence inspiring (this is a C4 964 Cab). My Coupe with the above mentioned changes feels like it is on rails, really sharp turn in, very direct and corners very flat. I've never driven stock v stock, this is just my overall take away from driving a stock cab vs the modified coupe. 

Oh, I also felt very exposed sitting in traffic in the Cab, really disliked it to be honest. On the move and it is a different and more enjoyable feeling. 

I've owned coupes, cabs and targas - you will read a lot of talk about cab's having reduced chassis stiffness etc on the web but, in my opinion, on the road and on street tyres there is very little in it. 

Either car with worn out bushes/shocks will feel awful.

911's get stiffer every generation so I think comparing the torsional rigidity of a 964 cab to a 3.0/3.2 coupe would be very interesting.

Steve,

Why don't you take a cab for a drive and see what you think yourself and not worry about what the peanut gallery think? :) 

If you find you like it it would make purchasing a good car a whole lot easier and cheaper so I reckon its worth the effort to at least drive one.

As for any rational reason for not buying a cab I don't think there are any reasons not to.  They may realise a lower price when reselling but that is well offset by a cheaper initial purchase cost, they don't seem to have any body cracking or greater rust issues and a well driven one is plenty fast around corners so there is no reason to be the slowest at SMT!

I've also noticed cab drivers on the whole seem to a happy bunch as well.

(Suggest you look at Targa's as well in the c3.2's as there always looks to be some good buys with those as well.) 

Mate,

Isn't there an Seinfeld episode about you? 

The Kid says

Yep!

Yeah coupe to cab on a $100k coupe, is probs $20k diff - roof would be around $20k landed here I guess (and paint??).....so just buy a coupe....but existing cab owners, its a win in the good looks dept..best of both worlds nearly

I have to add my thoughts to this topic $20k for a hardtop roof is way off the mark,i contacted Dmoris last year shipping from France to Oz 800 euros i think all up for the top and shipping it was $5k not $20k.Most of you guys are correct given a choice i would buy a coupe but at the time of my purchase i had a budget to work with and always wanted a Porsche,so a 964 cab it was.Obviously given a choice and a large bank balance i wouldn't mind a 959 or a 930 turbo etc to me its about enjoying a great car with a roof or without.If you can get a cab for the right money go for it.  

So did you buy a roof? I based my assumption on the price of a Boxster to Cayman hardtop that i saw a while back for about $10k US$$ then factored in a little 964 tax over a Boxster and added freight into the bargain too... and cost of paint on top of all that? 2k?including Ptax........

For me, I have a non-p roadster  which I just like cruising in. That is, roof off means I tend to want to cruise & relax. So I bought my p-car (coupe) cos I like to drive hard sometimes and explore my inner boy-racer! So as Clint would say, you've got to ask yourself a question...cruise or fang? A cab or targa p-car for me would be more about cruising with occasional fang. And as poli84 said, if you're not relaxed at the lights, feel exposed, maybe a coupe is better for you. And if you want to be boy-racer and hit the track, get a coupe...  Or as the taco girl says, why don't u get both!!

Archived