Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Murphy's law strikes again. Now that I've completed the trimming of the rear area, I was doing a trial fit of everything before pulling it all apart to get the rear screen on. I noticed that the quarters capping's shape do not match the shape of the roll bar nicely. There was a gap of about an inch. So off came the trim of the capping, then I re-shaped them then recovered them. Here is a picture showing the difference. Top one is the reshaped capping, bottom is the original with the inch gap

8_C96059_C-_CF7_B-463_F-_B5_C4-_F59_E5_E

Finally got the bright work back from the platters/polishers today

Here is the original window trims before I stripped the black paint and after

IMG_9531.jpg

For the alloy trim its a 3 steps process, strip, cut then polish

IMG_9533.jpg

Top one is ready for polishing, bottom is polished

IMG_9534.jpg

The chrome platted ones had to be chemically stripped then rechromed

Cost $400 which is not bad. Better than buying rubbish repros. They look perfect, picture doesn't do them justice

All in all, replating and polishing cost me around $1,800 so far including seat recliners, bumper over-riders, trim, decos, nut/bolts/washers. etc. Only thing left is the side window frames

Here is the final product. Bumper trims and door/quarter top trims  Now I will fit the new rubbers

IMG_9538.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies not many pictures to post. After waiting 2 weeks for the box of parts ti arrive from Pelican, I was quite disappointed

the bumper bar rubber insert came in 3 pieces, not one piece as the original. That wasn’t the major issue, the two end wedges are a completely different profile from the centre piece. Basically unusable crap

now I have to return it and order another from somewhere else. Anyway, the decos are fitted to the bumpers and the bumpers are on. I can fit the rubber inserts later

3_DBF6_D3_B-1_D0_E-4_F82-9241-_A0_B4_B36

• 1 month later...

Haven't been posting for a while, too much work and work-related travel. Still progressing but slow

Ditched the crappy rubber inserts. Bought the one piece expensive ones. But seriously, nearly $1,000 for 3 pieces of rubber is a rip off

IMG_9841.jpg

18 minutes ago, rafikdous said:

Haven't been posting for a while, too much work and work-related travel. Still progressing but slow

Ditched the crappy rubber inserts. Bought the one piece expensive ones. But seriously, nearly $1,000 for 3 pieces of rubber is a rip off

IMG_9841.jpg

Looks good but yes have to agree $1000 is highway robbery for 3 pieces of rubber

Removed the sports steering wheel that came with the car and fitted the original

IMG_9892.jpg

then made the wiring cover

IMG_9708.jpg

IMG_E9713.jpg

IMG_E9715.jpg

Got the rear screen out of the shed, gave it a good clean and attempted to fit the rubber and gave up. A job for the pros. Need to find someone who can fit the screens at home. This job is holding me from finishing the interior off

Found few interesting stickers on the screen

IMG_E9856.jpg

IMG_E9857.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

Bit of a set back. Couldn’t get enough pressure at the brake pedal although everything is new. Not sure what the issue is. The master cylinder was resleeved and has new seals in it. Reluctantly pulled  it off again this morning. Messy and difficult job. Will drop it off at the brake place today so they can go over it again

1_E5_D897_A-_E805-4_E6_C-9118-6_C397640_

No offence, but get a professional to do it mate. One thing you dont mess with is brakes. Pressure bleeding it will show up what's wrong, and unless you have the pro gear to do it, you're chasing your tail in my opinion 

No offence taken Lee, I am confident in this job, done complete brakes rebuilds 4 times before

And I have a pressure bleeder which makes it a one man job

Anyway, will refit everything again on the weekend and see how we go

On 06/12/2017 at 7:20 PM, rafikdous said:

No offence taken Lee, I am confident in this job, done complete brakes rebuilds 4 times before

And I have a pressure bleeder which makes it a one man job

Anyway, will refit everything again on the weekend and see how we go

I reckon there was still air in the system somewhere.. been there, done that.. sometimes a pressure bleeder that "pushes" the fluid through the system, works better than a vacuum bleeder that "sucks" it through.

Ok, got somewhere on the weekend

Refitted the MC and connected the front lines only to keep it simple. My bleeder is the suction style one so it did pull the fluid through the lines but still had little pressure so finished off with the good ol method of pumping the pedal a few times, hold it and open the bleeding nipple. Few times and I had strong pedal feel

I reconnected the rear line this morning and started the process. Still need to finish it off

Good news, brakes done and have strong pedal feel

Finally the car off the stands and back on its feet after 10 months

Windscreen fitting is booked for Monday. Found a mob in Baywaters who are game (or silly?) enough to tackle the job

Fitted the bonnet hinges and finished off the area

tomorrow she gets the front and rear screens fitted. Finger crossed

then I finish off the interior then off it goes to the panel shop to get the doors and bonnet refitted

84063_E31-8_DA4-4294-_A540-496_EF3_A9_C7

Archived