Tangerine '70 T targa resto

rafikdous

Plan didn't really work that well so went to plan B

IMG_8895.jpg

And while waiting, I started stripping the grill. Someone painted it black. This will be fun (not)

IMG_8894.jpg

Coming off after applying paint stripper

IMG_8897.jpg

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Craig, amazing how putting bumpers and headlights on make a huge difference to the resto progress

Nearly there. Its taking so long because I don't want to use any wire brushing or scrapers on it

IMG_8958.jpg

With paint stripping delicate items like the grille, i find it best to put the paint stripper on and when it's ready blast it off with a pressure washer. Been following since the start, project is looking great!!!

New buffers and clips. And strut ascwell

IMG_9004.jpg

Exciting

IMG_9006.jpg

Not there yet with the grill but close

thinking of pulling the mesh off to give it a good clean and lick of paint but not sure where to get new blind rivets from to put it together again

IMG_9008.jpg

No mate, mine was too ratty and missing a couple of the horizontal bits, so I bought a new one. A friend taped up the polished bits and painted his in situ. Bit of a pain to do, but it came up nice

Restos are really death by little parts aren't they.  Missing or damaged clips, trims, rubbers etc.  You can't have new paint and shiny bumpers and dried out ratty looking rubber or incorrect clips and fixings.   It all adds up but the end product is worth it.

Just looking at this little one end of the car makes you realise how advertisements suggesting you re-targa a forward-dated, decapitated convertible are just dreaming.  In a way it's easier to fix rust and panel damage than to recover all the myriads of missing parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Been traveling for work so not much has happened. Only had a chance to fit and align the horn grills

IMG_9077.jpg

IMG_9080.jpg

I also started padding the windscreen frame before apply the vinyl trim

Sub'd.  Horn grills original or repro and if the latter are they good quality?

Archived