Drying your car

symsy

So I wondered what folks are using to dry their car and if anyone has used Bowdens Big Green sucker or similar, microfibre towels?

Im old school and have used a leather for years and people tell me they scratch but to be honest I havent had that on the Pcar.

I have a dark colour clear coat mini however that was bought for her in doors and that another story , seems to have that fine dust on it when im done an also seems to be prone to scratching...

Also maybe as I am living for once on a town water supply  .. I get water droplet marks...

The only first pass creative way to dry my car I have come up with is to use th 4 stroke honda blower .. that works kinda ok for starters

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I wondered what folks are using to dry their car and if anyone has used Bowdens Big Green sucker or similar, microfibre towels?

Do you have a COSTCO near you and are you a member?

I use a car specific blower: https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/metrovac/master_blaster

then I usually spray the car with aqua wax (https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/duragloss/aquawax) and dry that off with a waffle weave microfibre cloth (https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint/microfibre_drying_towel_waffle_weave_x_large)

The blower is great, particularly if I am lazy and just want to do a touchless wash, in which case I rinse it, foam lance it, rinse it and blow it dry. No risk of scratching

Good quality, good size very good price.    I haven't got any for a while but I think it is only about $30.00 for the pack of 36.

I normally use them for most things on the car, and once they have been soiled, just throw them out.  they are cheap enough to do that.

If.. I only use them for drying the car, I will give them a wash without conditioner.   Then use them on my wheels and then chuck em.

Just remove the white tag on each cloth to avoid it scratching the duco.

DSCN6438.jpg

DSCN6437.jpg

DSCN6439.jpg

I use a car specific blower: https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/metrovac/master_blaster

then I usually spray the car with aqua wax (https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/duragloss/aquawax) and dry that off with a waffle weave microfibre cloth (https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/mint/microfibre_drying_towel_waffle_weave_x_large)

The blower is great, particularly if I am lazy and just want to do a touchless wash, in which case I rinse it, foam lance it, rinse it and blow it dry. No risk of scratching

I have spent a stack of money in car care products store over the past years or so Rupes ,,,Menzerna ,,he has a good range of products I like ..............:D

D2000 is the only one that's mentioned it, but spraying a detail wax (or even better, something like Larry Kosilla's Hydrate from his Ammo range) on your wet paint is the ticket.Helps the microfiber soak up the water even better, and stops the spider-web swirls.

700x700_Paint_Hydrate.png

A blower is something on my bucket list (see what I did there?). Expensive, but no matter how careful you are with microfiber, you will scratch your paint. It's all about minimizing the damage (using snow foam and two bucket methods etc)

I appear to be old school in that I touch the car.  However I do have a bowdens big chamois (or whatever it is called).  Initially I didn't like it but once it got 'broken in' it has gotten much better. I think it must have fabric fixers or something from manufacturing and you need to get them all out for it to absorb well.

i also have a bowdens green cloth but I use that for windows.

Do you have a COSCO near you and are you a member?

We dont but im commin to Melbourne on 9 days.. can pack an extra suitcase.. wadda ya suggesting big fella

Remind me that I dont ever ever ever want a black car and to borrow and admire everyone elses ..

Remind me that I dont ever ever ever want a black car and to borrow and admire everyone elses ..

My previous car was at jet black bmw and I managed to keep it swirl free with a good wash method (I use three buckets all with grit guard) and using the blower per above.  I had it coated with ceramic pro, which helps too.

The only time I got swirls was when I took it to the mechanic dirty after the window regulator gave way.  He managed to swirl up the driver's door sufficient for me to get the detailer out to buff it out.  Lesson learned - only take a clean car to the mechanic

This is a great site I have learnt a lot from obsessed garage and of coarse we all know Larry Kosilla and his video,s ,,,basically you can learn a lot from online forums and youtube vids ,not rocket science and there are lots of really good products out there you just have to find what works best for you and your car .........:D

I used to love having a Black car but have to say this will be my last they are work,,,I am getting lazy in my old age and will stick to White and Silvers in the future as I have found these the easiest to maintain a show finish with ..

http://www.obsessedgarage.com/home/gear/detailing-gear/

Good quality, good size very good price.    I haven't got any for a while but I think it is only about $30.00 for the pack of 36.

I normally use them for most things on the car, and once they have been soiled, just throw them out.  they are cheap enough to do that.

If.. I only use them for drying the car, I will give them a wash without conditioner.   Then use them on my wheels and then chuck em.

Just remove the white tag on each cloth to avoid it scratching the duco.

DSCN6438.jpg

DSCN6437.jpg

DSCN6439.jpg

Just bought a pack of these from Costco last week and used one on the weekend.  They were on special for about $26 for 36 and great value and did a great job.  The one used is now drying in garage with 35 still in the pack.  I think they will last a lifetime.  They are so cheap will also use to buff up after a polish as well.  Bought the micro fibre Meguirs sponge last week as well rather than the lambswoot glove and happy with it too.  The Enkafil (received last fathers days from daughter for $35!!!) now only used for interior wipe down, wheels and glass only

Just bought a pack of these from Costco last week and used one on the weekend.  They were on special for about $26 for 36 and great value and did a great job.  The one used is now drying in garage with 35 still in the pack.  I think they will last a lifetime.  They are so cheap will also use to buff up after a polish as well. 

+1.   For the price they are fantastic value.

We dont but im commin to Melbourne on 9 days.. can pack an extra suitcase.. wadda ya suggesting big fella

You...neeeed a couple of packs of these if you can organise it.   COSCO.

A blower is something on my bucket list (see what I did there?). Expensive, but no matter how careful you are with microfiber, you will scratch your paint. It's all about minimizing the damage (using snow foam and two bucket methods etc)

Under no circumstances should you actually drive the car - if the car is too precious to be cleaned down with a microfiber cloth then forget taking it on the road;  driving it at speed hitting small stones, road debris and insects will destroy the paintwork :ph34r:

I use the AUTOGLYM Aqua Wax, also a great product.    Put it on while car is still wet with droplets.   Then microfibre dry and bring to a nice waxed finish.

Thanks.  Sounds too easy, I will grab some.  Do you still wax the car the old way?  If so seeking recommendations here too. The tried and true Turtle Wax has always been my polish.  And all cars are done every 6 months.  In addition I have always used a wash and wax shampoo as well (not sure if it works as the cars are always fairly new) but I use it just the same.  The AUTOGLYM product sound better though so can't wait to buy and try this weekend.

Thanks.  Sounds too easy, I will grab some.  Do you still wax the car the old way?  If so seeking recommendations here too. The tried and true Turtle Wax has always been my polish.  And all cars are done every 6 months.  In addition I have always used a wash and wax shampoo as well (not sure if it works as the cars are always fairly new) but I use it just the same.  The AUTOGLYM product sound better though so can't wait to buy and try this weekend.

I use the Aqua Wax in between major wax jobs just to keep that luster and shine up ,,,,major wax job on the car just depends on the use of the car and how many wash s etc just a personal thing when I notice it needs it I do it but certainly not every time I wash ,,,,,Aqua wax is a good product plenty of online vids to justify it in you car care process ..I do use it and other spray wax products a lot ..

Under no circumstances should you actually drive the car - if the car is too precious to be cleaned down with a microfiber cloth then forget taking it on the road;  driving it at speed hitting small stones, road debris and insects will destroy the paintwork :ph34r:

What is this "drive" you speak of?!.

Don't worry Oz', she gets a workout. I should mention that it's my only car, not just a toy, and certainly not a garage queen!. Detailing is more therapeutic than anything else. When (non-Porsche) people ask how new it is, and I tell them 11 years old, well that's a nice bonus to see the reaction. 

Archived