987.2 Boxster Spyder

Ozvino

As some of you know I was looking to move on my GT3. I wanted a toy that the wife would enjoy also and with the GT3 given its condition I wasn't going to track the car and having that thing sitting 99% of the time was a real crime. I know some people struggle with that but the reality for me is my 928 is my "keeper" car, the 924T is my project so any other car had to tick the box in regards to a toy. 

So....I took  different direction and bought myself a 987.2 MY11 Boxster Spyder. I have been secretly stalking these for some time now. When they were new I was attracted and some months ago seeing @apogee's car followed by @itsujack's (Jad's) black beauty I figured it was time to scratch the itch. After a number of covert emails traded with Jad over the course of a week or so I made an offer on the car and we did a deal. I wanted something different; needed to be fast, quirky and tick the weekend toy box. 

This is car number 1 of 50 brought into Australia, white, PDK and Sports Chrono but otherwise stock. The car only had 9500km on the clock and presents and drives as-new. Delivered and serviced by Porsche Centre Melbourne, the car is still under a Porsche Warranty and has wanted for nothing service wise. I bought the car from Alan Hamilton so it has in my opinion the ultimate provenance for an Australian delivered car. 

First impressions: I wasn't sure about the PDK but I love it. The technology is amazing and combined with the cars handling and 320HP it makes for a very spirited drive. The handling is sublime and sorry fan boys, probably better than the GT3. Ofcourse its missing the Mezger but that aside these are awesome drivers cars. In sport or sport plus mode the car transforms and all its missing is a louder exhaust note - so after a conversation with Porsche Centre Melbourne a genuine PSE unit is on a plane headed over from Germany and will be fitted early in the new Year to factory specs.

Apart from the PSE, I will get the paint corrected and clear film applied but thats about it. The cars spec wants for little else.

And yes.....I know, its a hairdressers car and all, bring it on I say, to me these things look stunning and are about as close as I could ever get to a GT or 918 in my life time !

IMG_3832.jpg

IMG_3830.jpg

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Love it too..It did look senna sational today, even with the roof on.

Number 1 of 50 and 9 and a half on the clock.    Doesn't come much better than that.   

You don't muck about, great decision for the new exhaust.

Can't wait to see it with the roof off, and hear it crackle through the REEFTON on a real Melbourne summer's day (if we ever get one)

Congratulations...

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I talked to Porsche - Just 37 987 Boxster Spyder's were delivered to Australia, so these are not a common car. That is even less than the 50 I was told previously. 

3 weeks of ownership; cant stop driving this thing, almost another 900km on the clock (10% of the total mileage on the car). If the suns out and I walk past it in the garage I find excuses to take it out. Never thought I would want a convertible but given its a Toy it stays home when its wet. Having said that I have driven it in the wet roof on and its no worse than any other convertible. But for sure, driving down the coast on Saturday afternoon, roof off under a deep blue sky feeling the sea breeze is hard to beat. Hat and sunscreen are essential glove box adornments. 

Handling is sublime, the car corners like a go-kart. Engine note of the flat 6 is arousing just behind your head and the powerband in sports plus mode is scary fast enough. The PDK is really interesting. People that bag it as an "Auto" probably havent driven it hard or understand it. The "Auto" mode is so silky smooth you dont even feel the gears change. Put it into Sports/Sports plus and the car comes to life and changes to a lunging animal, I cant see how I could ever get this much speed out of a manual. I get why they put these into a GT3. 

These cars may be maligned as a hairdressers car - but to me a fast, good looking mid-engine, lightweight convertible with a flat 6 is a real Porsche in any stretch of the imagination and represents the marque perfectly. The only problem I have now is I am browsing 981 Spyders on Car Sales.......maybe that is next. Spyder with a Carrera S/GT4 donk may just be the perfect car (for me).

OR maybe I am a just frustrated hairdresser. Sign me up sweety, do you want a rinse or a perm?

These cars may be maligned as a hairdressers car - but to me a fast, good looking mid-engine, lightweight convertible with a flat 6 is a real Porsche in any stretch of the imagination and represents the marque perfectly.

OR maybe I am a just frustrated hairdresser. Sign me up sweety, do you want a rinse or a perm?

Don't worry Oz. The time you save fixing your hair can be spent driving.

Handling is sublime, the car corners like a go-kart. Engine note of the flat 6 is arousing just behind your head and the powerband in sports plus mode is scary fast enough.

...and just wait till you fit that sports exhaust, pure crack!

Don't worry Oz. The time you save fixing your hair can be spent driving.

Hair? When I go to the barber they charge me a search fee, its becoming a distant memory for me these days, but what I have left is very low maintenance. Biggest issue is not getting any fatter because I wouldn't be able to fit in the GT3 seats, those things are low and snug !

Update:

I talked to Porsche - Just 37 987 Boxster Spyder's were delivered to Australia, so these are not a common car. That is even less than the 50 I was told previously. 

3 weeks of ownership; cant stop driving this thing, almost another 900km on the clock (10% of the total mileage on the car). If the suns out and I walk past it in the garage I find excuses to take it out. Never thought I would want a convertible but given its a Toy it stays home when its wet. Having said that I have driven it in the wet roof on and its no worse than any other convertible. But for sure, driving down the coast on Saturday afternoon, roof off under a deep blue sky feeling the sea breeze is hard to beat. Hat and sunscreen are essential glove box adornments. 

Handling is sublime, the car corners like a go-kart. Engine note of the flat 6 is arousing just behind your head and the powerband in sports plus mode is scary fast enough. The PDK is really interesting. People that bag it as an "Auto" probably havent driven it hard or understand it. The "Auto" mode is so silky smooth you dont even feel the gears change. Put it into Sports/Sports plus and the car comes to life and changes to a lunging animal, I cant see how I could ever get this much speed out of a manual. I get why they put these into a GT3. 

These cars may be maligned as a hairdressers car - but to me a fast, good looking mid-engine, lightweight convertible with a flat 6 is a real Porsche in any stretch of the imagination and represents the marque perfectly. The only problem I have now is I am browsing 981 Spyders on Car Sales.......maybe that is next. Spyder with a Carrera S/GT4 donk may just be the perfect car (for me).

It is not a auto tranny in the traditional sense (with a torque converter), it is a manual transmission with and electro-mechanical shifter that shifts between two sets of gears. It feels more like a manual transmission than an auto. i.e. you can coast in gear.

As for the 981 Spyder, although the 3.8 litre engine is nice, the larger size of body, refined ride compared to the 987,   button handbrake and electric assisted steering doesn't do it for me. And It doesn't look all that different than an normal 981 Boxster from side on. The 987.2 has the best of everything, non-IMS 6 pot engine, visceral handling ,hydraulically assisted steering and mechanical handbrake. The last of the truly analog Boxster/Caymans.

Awesome car. I've been stalking 987 Spyders ever since I drove one in the UK a couple of years back. Future classic too IMO. Porsche forged their reputation with mid-engined roadsters long before the 911 was born. In some ways they should be the icon. Well done.

PS - You'll enjoy the PDK even more if you get one of these...

Steeringwhell1_zpsevgmlobr.jpg

Awesome car. I've been stalking 987 Spyders ever since I drove one in the UK a couple of years back. Future classic too IMO. Porsche forged their reputation with mid-engined roadsters long before the 911 was born. In some ways they should be the icon. Well done.

PS - You'll enjoy the PDK even more if you get one of these...

Steeringwhell1_zpsevgmlobr.jpg

Agreed :D

SPY_20161010_007_zps7yx1pgvn.jpg

Picked up the car from PCM today - new sound system  (PSE) installed in the Spyder.

New start up procedure now required - key in ignition, turn right, sports mode selected, PSE on. Erection commences at 3000 RPM. 

Good call @itsujack - you were right about PSE :D

Picked up the car from PCM today - new sound system  (PSE) installed in the Spyder.

New start up procedure now required - key in ignition, turn right, sports mode selected, PSE on. Erection commences at 3000 RPM. 

Good call @itsujack - you were right about PSE :D

I knew you'd love it.

I spent the best part of today on empty twisting roads between 4000-7500rpm. I could die a happy man tomorrow!

Archived