What's going to happen when the km get up there?

tazzieman

There are a lot of "modern" Porsches out there. Many are not sports cars. By all accounts , engine rebuilds are not cheap. Plus , electronics...

As these 10-20 year old cars approach 200,000-300,000 km , what's going to happen when the inevitable happens?

The chassis and ancillaries are pretty well made so the cars won't rust away (unless they are imports)

I know this question applies to all "exotics" of the modern era , but are we facing a mass extinction of all but the most desirable?

LS crate motor swap

But is the average punter going to go that route? You've still got wiring and potentially safety issues , RWC etc? Is it really worth it when for that cost (which includes labour) you could just buy another used example and sell the carcass? Unless you are an enthusiast or collector...

It saddens me somewhat to see the small numbers of last century cars actually being driven. Of course you see a few at car shows (cleaned to a better than new state) , but part of the joy of being a "motoring enthusiast" is seeing older cars still rocking along. 

How many 80s/90s Landcruisers & Patrols are still on our roads? They used to be the Toorak tractors until the X5s and Cayennes and Lexuses hit the scene. Who can afford to keep those models alive after 10+ years when there's so much choice of newer versions with better gizmos? Not millenials that's for sure. Maybe they will all end up in the country, jury rigged until they die completely?

Mad Max anyone?

It is not the engine that will kill it but all of the fancy electronics and the complex auto gearboxes. Most modern engines can go past 300000km easily (a feat a lot of '60s and earlier cars can do too!). If the Cayenne and Panamera V8s are anything like the 928 ones they will be [pretty bullet proof and with proper and regular maintenance may well last as long, as I said above modern electronics will kill the current crop of cars, that and failed turbos.... My wife's just over 10 year Volvo has just needed a full turbo rebuild and by todays standards this car is not that complex.....

In my view the larger capacity and still NA cars will outlive their smaller forced induction brethren.....

I think there will be a decent amount of electric swaps going on as well.

No chance of that. Battery packaging, cooling (lots of battery cooling) crash compliance etc and it would need to meet future standards not those of when it was originally manufactured. Would need full re-certification of the car so crazy cost for what?

Porsches claim of x% still on the road is going to take a big hit. 

It is possible to replace all the electronics with aftermarket products  but in most cases they are not a direct replacement and will require a significant effort to implement. I have done quite a few "simpler" cars but these days it is compliance with regulations that is the biggest problem that makes it no longer practical re-engineer the electronics. 

The surviving percentages will be small.   As they always have been.

When was the last time you saw a VN    Commodore on the road?  Or a 90s Hyundai excel?

Both were big selling cars in the day.

The survivors will be the cars with lower usage, just like today.

The rebuilds will happen with simpler drivetrains, just like today.  Who bothers with all the 1970s pollution junk when rebuilding a car?  The same will be for all the gizmos.

Cars are meant to be used then crushed.   It was decided thus long ago.   The AC Porsches and 1970s Benzes are from a different era, when cars were made to last.

But people are willing to keep a tiny percentage of halo cars alive, and are ingenious at doing so.  Solutions are found for the market that arises.

As what went before, the new generations of mechanics and engineers will work on, fix, and rebuild the cars worth doing. What our generations think of as complex electronics and gadgetry, the younger generations wont even know any different.

I remember my Grandfather (who was a mechanic most of his life) looking under the bonnet of my (then new) 1988 VN Clubsport one time, and marveling at how 'complex' it looked, and commenting on how you couldn't even see the engine. In 2016 a VN is truly a dinosaur and even a 1st year mechanic could fix almost anything on it.

I guess if there are enough parked up/junked Porsches out there , there will be a supply of the electronic doodads for many years, for those that care.

It's shame that although cars are ostensibly "better built' than they use to be , they aren't necessarily durable. Built in obsolescence keeps the commercial world spinning eh?

Panameras are the new BMW 750s IMO. I suspect only a true enthusiast will be able to keep them on the road, down the track.

How many current cars are going to be coveted in the years to come anyway, really?  Porsche built the same car with relatively minor upgrades for many, many years, I believe this made it more desirable.  Today it's all change every 4-6 years for something more production friendly (cheaper to build) industry wide. Natural obsolescence engineered at concept stage purely due to the fact that in the last 50 years we've endured technological change at an unprecedented rate.

The 'new is better' ethos has now become conventional wisdom.  No more Grandfather's axe

Maybe 3D printing will save us?. 

Panameras are the new BMW 750s IMO. I suspect only a true enthusiast will be able to keep them on the road, down the track.

Maybe one day I will find out, when the prices come down a bit more, pretty much the ultimate sedan (yeah I know it is a hatch...) for me, only with maybe an E55 or E63..... oh no there are heaps that I would covet... :) Anything that is RWD or AWD with a big NA engine :D

How many current cars are going to be coveted in the years to come anyway, really?

Maybe one day I will find out, when the prices come down a bit more, pretty much the ultimate sedan (yeah I know it is a hatch...) for me, only with maybe an E55 or E63..... oh no there are heaps that I would covet... :) Anything that is RWD or AWD with a big NA engine :D

Good luck repairing your 2017 Panamera in 2039 at $4600/an hour, if you can find him....and the fuel to get there!

The other issue with newer cars, is all of the "unnecessary" dodads. For example my ML Merc has stupid airbag suspension and I have had a few issue with it now, where the basic springs and shocks would have been fine. Also things like the electric handbrake and keyless entry and start in my S5. It hasn't been a problem yet, but they are all things that will be an extra pain in the ass when they break (and how are the youth of today supposed to do handbrakies with an electric handbrake!).

My brother is rocking a 7 series as a daily drive.  Cost less than a corolla and still looks boss.   Surprisingly durable too, and super comfortable for the commute.  The other thing about modern cars is the driveline sharing - the BMW m62 v8 and derivants power an astonishing array of vehicles.  So there is a lot more parts sharing and knowledge sharing across models.

I will make a prediction. Battery powered cars will be/are disposable when the battery is stuffed. To most people cars are just another appliance so no surprise most manufactures are delivering an appliance.

I think I will keep the old GU Patrol 4.2 Diesel. No electronics, no polution control, parts readly available, good for 500,000Km before a rebuild. Porsche can only wish they had such durability and serviceability. 

There are a lot of "modern" Porsches out there. Many are not sports cars. By all accounts , engine rebuilds are not cheap. Plus , electronics...

these modern cars are easy to fix when they rack up a lot of k's....you just update to the latest Windows operating system and there you have it, she'll be good for another half million k's. 

Archived