Best bang for bucks

Jcg1

hi guys,

'just bought my self a 1977 911 with a 3l engine.this has been my dream car since 8 years old and now finally it became a reality. My daily drive is a very golf r with apr tune so is good for 0-100 in 3.8 seconds.

the porsche feels a bit slow after the golf so am looking at some mods to get it moving. The car is basically stock apart from a month exhaust.

let me know what mod you suggest and at what cost to get to drive a bit quicker. Also who should I see about maintaining this beast? I live in Melbourne . ( bayside / peninsula )

many thanks

Hi JC,

Welcome to the forum! Keeping in mind your new 911 is a 39yo car, what are your expectations in terms of performance increases? Typically, 911's have never been a HP focussed car, they punch well above their weight due to handling - not sure what suspension work and/or tyres your running but if you want to go faster that's where I'd start. 

Hi JC,

Welcome to the forum! Keeping in mind your new 911 is a 39yo car, what are your expectations in terms of performance increases? Typically, 911's have never been a HP focussed car, they punch well above their weight due to handling - not sure what suspension work and/or tyres your running but if you want to go faster that's where I'd start. 

+1 . I looked down this road a while ago and with lots of fantastic advice from the guys here put more time and $$$ into everything else like Hugh mentioned eg, Turbo Tie Rods , Front Sway Bar , Rear Torsion Bars . Bushings here there and everywhere  , Took some Kgs out of the rear  , Headers , Sticky rubber and some other stuff . All this improved the feel of the car and gave it a new lease on life . Numbers on paper for these cars don`t mean much unless you really start to invest big $$$$ then performance numbers can mean a whole lot :lol:

BUDGET @Jcg1 and intended usage

There are a number of good publications that describe the std path towards satisfaction aurally viscerally and butt o meter,as are a number of other O/S forums ,  pelican parts rennlist where you have dedicated engine and tech discussions

If you got a c3 suspect many would say enjoy its period charms and wistfully remember golf R point to point speeds... 

Irrespective whether c3 or Sc donk you got trad HP options - cubic inches , jettison  cis go PMO's etc 

perhaps budget in your go hard quest, for a week away driving it in mixed terrain include a cars coffee meet up ( mods still think App here is way to go over caps) and do a bit of key swapping... Enlarge your (drive) palette and whether you swallow or use the spittoon down to your individual proclivities.

Now once you ready to spend money I reiterate BUDGET and also suggest you spend a day with UNCLE 

Interested to see what you do as I've got a similar dilemma with a 2.7

cheers Michel 

light weight fly wheel, full exhaust (sounds like you may just have a muffler?) would be my first stop, on the intake side i have no idea what to do with the CIS so will let someone else chime in

despite wisdoms CIS can be set up to deal with increased demands ... DKUBUS can offer a plug n play tunable. warm up regulator (Ewur) and kit. Or for aural visual aesthetics and step back here he who ain't shallow and PMO ITB's or PMO carbs dux nuts...

despite wisdoms CIS can be set up to deal with increased demands ... DKUBUS can offer a plug n play tunable. warm up regulator (Ewur) and kit. Or for aural visual aesthetics and step back here he who ain't shallow and PMO ITB's or PMO carbs dux nuts...

ITB's rarely come under budget but in terms of giggle factor i agree, off the charts..!
ITB's, full exhaust, LWF and you've pretty much exhausted options for engine bolt ons though.. time to look at the chassis

As for maintaining beast ... unlike canberra you're spoilt for choice.

suggest RRR though think they've had a name change ? Weissach Sport

there are others of course and like a good bowl of pho you'll learn to travel for it 

I assume youre referring to purely straight line performance?
If so, I dont think there is anything "budget" that will satisfy what you're craving with the benchmark you have at home.

What I would suggest though, is not make it fast, but make it feel that way? 
Make it lighter, take out what you can (will cost you nothing).
As clutch-monkey has recommended, lightweight flywheel will help, will make it less refined and more raw, engaging you more to drive it. 
Headers removing the heat exchangers (again saving weight) into a single muffler will also make it "seem" faster.
Already looks like you have a 350mm steering wheel, figure increasing the steering agility would also make it feel quicker.

Nice car. As Hugh said, it's a 39 year old car, so comparing it to a golf R is a bit unfair. My SC will never keep up with my Megane RS.  Quick, agile, handles great. Hell, that thing put down a 12.0 standing 400m out of the box. But the 911 is something special. The Renault is just a car.

I also have an apr tuned mk7 R ..... Nothing will ever feel that quick... And I'm down to 3.6s to 100. 

I don't think you should chase this dragon..... It will never get you where you want to go. I refuse to drive my golf in the hills as its boring ... Takes to 7000rpm before you hear a real noise....steering is not even there as it feels so digital.  Your  911 on the other hand slow or fast makes you drive, and I know I don't need to preach about this here lol .. Take it out in the hills and drive the shit out of your weapon, wrestle the corners while slaming it back into second..... Leave your little squirts in traffic and straight line speed to the golf. 

By all means Mod and tune your car all the way... I'm all about performance of every kind.... I just don't think you will ever get to where you want if your after that launch of and AWD golf. 

Car looks killer by the way! 

Archived