Purchasing new vs. Ex Demo 991.2?

gronk

Contrary to popular belief, people don't thrash cars on test drives because they have the dealer sitting next to them and they simply won't let it happen.

I (and I'm sure others here) have had cars from the dealer overnight

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A standard Carrera or Carrera S is pretty difficult to thrash unless you're doing something really wrong. These cars can take a bit of a beating. Realistically how long are you going to keep the car for? If it's only 5 years then you'll probably never see the effects. Type 2 over revs are highly rare on a Carrera and if it's PDK - pretty much impossible.

I think the point is there is no protection from a car that has been thrashed. Its just more likely if you buy a demo.

Now that I've said that, I'd much rather buy a car that has been driven hard and well maintained, than a garage princess that has had no maintenance at all.

Sure would. But my point being that dealer demo cars usually get the living daylights thrashed out of them by people who have no idea how to drive.

So people who test drive a Porsche and then buy one suddenly get some great new skills they didn't have when they were test driving? I really don't think any Porsche dealership hands out joy rides to just anybody who walks in off the street. They only give overnight loans to people they know and trust. 

Consider this. Any owner can take his car to the track and thrash it round and round for as much as he likes and you will probably never know. Nobody ever tries to corner a car as hard as you do on the road as you do on the track. Nobody does the hard breaking from high speeds that you do on a track while driving on the road. The only thing you can do on the road is drive it under hard acceleration up to a certain speed, usually not past 2nd gear. Even if we accept that test cars do get driven hard, a day or 2 at teh track will add far more load and impact a car far more than anything you can achieve on the track. One track day with spirited driving has to be worse for a car than the short time a car is used for test drives.

I guess this is another issue people won't agree on as it is emotive - nobody wants to think somebody might have thrashed their car around the local streets, but I would love to see any evidence to suggest that demonstrators have more issues than other cars. 

Another thing to consider is that a fair number of demonstrators are never used as demonstrators. My latest BMW was officially a demonstrator, because that is the scheme that the dealership had bought the car through, but it had only ever been driven by one member of staff as their personal car (they weren't in sales). And I know a number of dealers who prefer to use second hand cars for demonstrations. Overall, I think people dismiss demonstrators far too readily when in many cases, they shouldn't.

It still avoids answering the question about how buying privately gives you any more protection against buying a car that has been abused.

It was simply intended to debunk another assumption.   ;)

Here is a nice manual for sale.  Unsure why he is selling if he loves it so much.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2016/SSE-AD-4418353/?Cr=4

love the colour!

wirthO,

I was looking at getting:

Agate gray (or white/ black if available and good price) but gray preference

PDK

Sports Chrono

Sports Exhaust

Glas sliding sunroof

- all fairly standard options, nothing exotic, so think that there should be quite a few examples around/ ex-demos etc, just about findiing the right price now

sounds good... Definatly need the sport (s)exhaust! ?

Here is a nice manual for sale.  Unsure why he is selling if he loves it so much.....

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2016/SSE-AD-4418353/?Cr=4

Nice car! Little too flashy for my tastes though - and it's stick shift.

Thanks for all your replies guys - the search will continue and I'll report back on any progress!

So you have a car over night and thrash the shit out of it,hand it over the next day. The dealer then down loads the last days history and says he will be asking for compensation.

He will have all your details, swiped your credit card before you drive it out the door if he has any sense.

So you have a car over night and thrash the shit out of it,hand it over the next day. The dealer then down loads the last days history and says he will be asking for compensation.

He will have all your details, swiped your credit card before you drive it out the door if he has any sense.

umm, no.  I was negotiating with Porsche Brighton about Macans a while back.  I then went in and test drove them all.  Dealer happily sent me on my way in each car without accompanying me and suggested I drive them hard to see what they can do.  I didn't launch them as such but I didn't leave much to the imagination.  And so what if I did. These are performance cars built to take it and the dealer wants you to know that.  

Can you imagine the brand damage if a dealer tried to claim compensation.  Compensation for what, driving the car as the maker intended?  Launch control is a feature they sell so why wouldnt you see how it works.  I'm sure they could disable it if they didn't want you to.

If the dealer told me up front to nanny the car, I'd say forget it I'll go elsewhere.  And if he suggested I'd driven the car too hard.... On a public road....I'd laugh at him and go elsewhere.  They are in the business of selling performance (which is all but impossible to fully exploit on the road anyway).  

notwithstanding this, I'd happily buy a demo if the deal was right as I can assure you I flogged them all but did no damage.

by the way, can the dealer mechanic reboot and clear over revs etc.  never thought about it but I wonder if they have a secret erase button......?

Thanks for the helpful advice guys - was all taken on board. 

Just an update - I picked up my '16 991.2 S last week from the dealer, 1000ks on the clock, the standard options in Carrara White. Got a pretty good deal on this demo.

looking forward to being able to contribute to this great forum!

Archived