The great wheel dilemma

wilburforce

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an update it seems to run wheels without spacers on a car like mine (widebody on G series) in near impossible if you want a nice placement of the wheels in the arches. Unless of course you are building from scratch or ordering custom.  Although getting the most appropriate wheel offset means that you run minimal spacers - which is in essence what the Porsche factory intended for their widebodies, hence the factory spacers.  That means whatever I end up with will at least need small spacers on the rear (less than 1") - where at the moment its nearly 2" on the rear and 1.5" on the front.

I think I'm now reasonably settled on skipping the 17" experience - and therefore have landed on the 15x8x10 Fuchs v Campag v Minilites.

Cameron has been very helpful with Fuchs replicas in Maxilite and Braid, but I just love the look of the campags and haven't 100% made up my mind yet.  Offsets are a bit nicer in the Campags as well.

As for tyres the only choices seem to be TB15 or Pirelli Corso Classics - has anyone driven on either much? Particularly normal street driving and wet weather? Leaning towards the Pirelli's based on looks alone but wouldn't mind some first hand experience.

As for tyres the only choices seem to be TB15 or Pirelli Corso Classics - has anyone driven on either much? Particularly normal street driving and wet weather? Leaning towards the Pirelli's based on looks alone but wouldn't mind some first hand experience.

I'm just about to order a set of the TB15's. 

Nice one - what size are you running and what widths on the wheels? I assume this is for the red one?

Also are you around Sat?

They are for 15's, most likely 205's & 225's. I hope to be around on Saturday. 

I'm nearly there guys - have found something in 9" front and 10" rear.  Are there any issues with running this setup? i've seen nearly every other staggered wheel combo but not this.  ie: 9&11, 8&10, 6&7, 7&8, 7&9, etc....

I can make this work with std 911 spacers on the rear and nothing on the front.

• 1 month later...

OK so I ended up with 8 and 10 which seems to be the best choice with going (anymore) overs on rubber.

I have to tell you ordering the Campo's was a long and interesting process - i've read somewhere on this forum that the guy was a little hard to deal with.  It felt like I was the one trying to close the deal at the end!

Seems I left my run a little late for the Pirelli Corsa Classic's (fronts not available until heaven-knows-when), so have gone the TB15 this time around. Hopefully I have a little more luck with them than the Tassie crew did. Although from what I read they were great in the wet which will give me a bit more confidence.

OK so I ended up with 8 and 10 which seems to be the best choice with going (anymore) overs on rubber.

I have to tell you ordering the Campo's was a long and interesting process - i've read somewhere on this forum that the guy was a little hard to deal with.  It felt like I was the one trying to close the deal at the end!

Seems I left my run a little late for the Pirelli Corsa Classic's (fronts not available until heaven-knows-when), so have gone the TB15 this time around. Hopefully I have a little more luck with them than the Tassie crew did. Although from what I read they were great in the wet which will give me a bit more confidence.

I've ended up on the TB's as well, you wont be disappointed. 

This is from the Vic Roads document, verbatim. "Spacers between the wheel and hub are not permitted unless provided by the vehicle manufacturer as original equipment ".  Seeing as Porsche provided them as an OE part, I think you can argue the point  that they are original equipment, provided they are the OE part (or correctly stamped so they look like the OE part).

• 2 months later...

Its a very functional look. Youll be able to make the most use of it. 
And as you mentioned, youd have to lose the rear spacers to get some tyre tucking. 
Each to their own, but shell be looking great when squatting on acceleration :D 

@Pork Chops maybe take 10mm off what you think is right for the spacers mate. Apparently TB15s balloon quite a bit under acceleration.. this has actually cut into the sidewall. But only did it in a straight line with a passenger under heavy acceleration. Next stop narrower spacers and stiffer torsion barsIMG_1599.jpg

@Pork Chops maybe take 10mm off what you think is right for the spacers mate. Apparently TB15s balloon quite a bit under acceleration.. this has actually cut into the sidewall. But only did it in a straight line with a passenger under heavy acceleration. Next stop narrower spacers and stiffer torsion bars

Hey that's a crap outcome but very grateful for the heads up. Is the tyre toast or OK?

So to keep the info in 1 spot you've got:

Rears 15 x 10 ET -12 with a 40mm spacer making the effective offset -52. But given your recent experience a net offset of -42 would be more suitable (30mm spacer). From a 'poke' perspective the effective -42 on the 10" puts you within 2mm of an 11" Braid with a standard offset of ET -27. No surprise as you'd think Braid would have this right.

Fronts 15 x 8 ET +10.6 with a 24mm spacer making the effective offset -13.4 which seems to suit.

Sound right? If so it should be a useful datapoint for anyone who wants to run 15" wheels on a narrow body car with 'tacked on' wide guards.

So to keep the info in 1 spot you've got:

Rears 15 x 10 ET -12 with a 40mm spacer making the effective offset -52. But given your recent experience a net offset of -42 would be more suitable (30mm spacer). From a 'poke' perspective the effective -42 on the 10" puts you within 2mm of an 11" Braid with a standard offset of ET -27. No surprise as you'd think Braid would have this right.

Fronts 15 x 8 ET +10.6 with a 24mm spacer making the effective offset -13.4 which seems to suit.

Sound right? If so it should be a useful datapoint for anyone who wants to run 15" wheels on a narrow body car with 'tacked on' wide guards.

That's all spot on mate. If I'm being pedantic front are +10. I'll let you know how we go with 30mm spacers. Not the best outcome but shit happens - could be a lot worse. Hoping the tyre is OK but not holding my breath. Turns out my guards are narrower on the left. Also surprised how much travel the rear has under acceleration. 

Archived