First Porsche 997.1 S arriving this week

Mik001

So excited to be taking delivery soon of a black 997 S. 

It has low 32k klms in mint Condition. I've read up on all the IMS stuff and I'm unsure if I should do any preventative work or just take my chances. The service records are really upto date and have been regular. 

What would you guys do in my position ? 

It has low 32k klms in mint Condition. I've read up on all the IMS stuff and I'm unsure if I should do any preventative work or just take my chances. The service records are really upto date and have been regular. 

Check the engine number if it is after 6950745 no problems

Hi Mik001 I have a 06 997.1 S manual with 46000klm on the dial never had a single issue with car ,IMS issue on the 3.8 is very rare I think it only effects the early 05 cars later cars had a upgraded IMS there is a thread on rennlist that gives the engine numbers of effected cars ............., from my understanding numbers 68509791 and above are fitted with the upgraded large single row bearing ,the ims cover has the 22mm nut ........Hope this helps ,,,another thing I do is always inspect the oil filter cartridge on an oil change and check for any metal ,,,easy thing to do ..

Congratulations on the car you will love it ..:)

Thanks for welcoming me. I've waited 20+ years for this baby. 

The car won't turn up for another week. 

I have checked out the paperwork the engine is April 2005 build engine M970168511850 

So it's an early 2005 by the look which may be effected. 

Anyway I think I'll take everyone's advice and just drive and enjoy. 

if you didn't typo it, isn't  68511850 later than 68509791 , your gold right?

No typo I saw that. I've just read in forums etc early 05 were suss. 

Maybe it's already had a later donk put in it???

Either way just go drive the ringer off it.

Splash that oil round good and proper and she'll be right

There was a study done recently confirming the correlation of the 5% IMS that have failed was data matched against the 5% of 996/997 owners that drive like wussies...

As long as you're not one of the 5% you'll be fine.

Maybe it's already had a later donk put in it???

Either way just go drive the ringer off it.

Splash that oil round good and proper and she'll be right

There was a study done recently confirming the correlation of the 5% IMS that have failed was data matched against the 5% of 996/997 owners that drive like wussies...

As long as you're not one of the 5% you'll be fine.

I agree with TrevMcRev, more chance of a fail if you drive like Ms Daisy. Drive the car as it was intended, Enjoy

P.S. You can anyways get the IMS upgrade done for peace of mind?  If my car fell into the group were the IMS fail was possible that's what I would do.  I understand there are 2 options, a guaranteed 4 year option and guaranteed 8 year option.

Mik001 not sure how we all missed it.  The IMS problem affects the 3.6l motors. So your 3.8l S should be  all good.

Mik001 not sure how we all missed it.  The IMS problem affects the 3.6l motors. So your 3.8l S should be  all good.

Early M97 3.8 Engines build before March 05 had the effected IMS ....Engines after #6850 were upgrade with the  large single row bearing ,,,the below link is a good thread on it :D

http://autohaushamilton.com.au/news/ims-bearing-the-facts-made-simple

Troy,

IMS bearing issues affect the pre 2006 3.8's as well.  In fact the 3.8's suffer a higher rate of bore scoring as well.

Archived