Cayman hotrod?

DJM

I continue to agonise about what next.  I have a fast, non road reg track car but would like a weekender.  Prefer NA, manual, light weight.  GT3 is the obvious choice but don't really want to spend $150k+ and I'm not one to nurture a collectible.  Ditto early 911s/hotrods.  I want to wring its neck and wash it twice a year!   In fact 911 wise there's not much I'd want that can be had sub $130k.  M3 V8 for $50k would be good but a bit big and heavy.  I've had a clubman, too scary on the road.  

So, Taking inspiration from TrevMcRev's 986 Boxster hotrod concept and the recently posted Road Scholars 4.2 Cayman, it got me thinking maybe there's something in between that fits my brief and budget.

A 987 Cayman S manual for 50k seems good value relative to other options.  Throw on some suspension, intake/chip, centre exit cup type exhaust, wheels and create a bastard/hotrod Cayman which would be a hoot to drive and relatively cheap Porsche entry.  Maybe turf some bits out to save weight.  I'm not a fan of the RS4.2 wide body mods but it would be good to "harden up" the look a little.

The car below is on the right track but it's a little too track biased and I imagine priced too high (unsold for a long time now).  I guess you could easily replace seats with GT3 type (or 918/GT4 replicas?) and dial back the coilovers. And the wheels would have to go platinum or anthracite, lose the orange decals.  I'm thinking GT4 lite for 50-60k.  I reckon something like this would be 90% as fun as GT4 in real world speed limited road conditions (maybe a bit more raw?) for 1/4 the price.  I'd keep all the bits to convert back to standard so I don't take a bath at resale time.  And I could bomb around the track from time to time when the Mazda is in the workshop ? This thing does 1:49 at SMP which is not hanging around.

Or I could look for a cheap Cayman at the auctions, preferably with blown engine (IMS) or stolen and recovered, install a 3.8 Carrera S engine and GT3 plenum with the saving on purchase price?

thoughts?  Has it been done?  How hard to transplante 3.6/3.8?  Or do you bother - is the 3.4 enough for a road car? 

no doubt US forums have covered this but haven't had time to search so I thought I'd put it out to the PFA brains trust.

EDIT it seems Kerry has been here already....

cp5007198106109723691.jpg?aspect=FitWith

2006 Porsche Cayman S 987 Manual MY07

• 54,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.4L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-4522060

It think you are on the right track. I am pretty sure there is a bit of stuffing around to fit the 911 engine into the Cayman, but it has been done. Don't quote me, but I think maybe the manifold on a 911 is much higher??? I think that Cayman you linked is basically what you are talking about, and it has a heap of the mods you want already done, notably the larger baffled sump is a big one, as I have heard about a lot of Caymans having oil starvation issues at the track, and blowing up. Also the power steering also needs a slower pulley for the power steering as that also has a tendency to boil at the track.

I found the Cayman was a beautiful balanced chassis, and it had plenty of power for the twisties, but it wasn't crazy fast in a straight line (still quick, but you will find it down right slow after the GT2 ;) ).

That one above, as you have said, has been on the market for ages, I think gives you some bargaining power.

Autohaus Hamilton did an engine swap into a Cayman, though if you want a cheap weekend blaster, (with the emphasis of cheap,) that kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion. I reckon a stock Cayman S with some wheels and suspension upgrades, and maybe a weight reduction (minimalist interior etc) would be awesome

I had another drive of a mates 1977 911 the other day. It has been sometime since I had driven this car. Although cool, I thought, (really) can I live with one of these old gigers after my 964. It will be hard to go past a Cayman S for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Autohaus Hamilton did an engine swap into a Cayman, though if you want a cheap weekend blaster, (with the emphasis of cheap,) that kinda defeats the purpose in my opinion. I reckon a stock Cayman S with some wheels and suspension upgrades, and maybe a weight reduction (minimalist interior etc) would be awesome

Agree.  Or a supercharger kit too.

I continue to agonise about what next.  I have a fast, non road reg track car but would like a weekender.  Prefer NA, manual, light weight.  GT3 is the obvious choice but don't really want to spend $150k+ and I'm not one to nurture a collectible.  Ditto early 911s/hotrods.  I want to wring its neck and wash it twice a year!   In fact 911 wise there's not much I'd want that can be had sub $130k.  M3 V8 for $50k would be good but a bit big and heavy.  I've had a clubman, too scary on the road.  

So, Taking inspiration from TrevMcRev's 986 Boxster hotrod concept and the recently posted Road Scholars 4.2 Cayman, it got me thinking maybe there's something in between that fits my brief and budget.

A 987 Cayman S manual for 50k seems good value relative to other options.  Throw on some suspension, intake/chip, centre exit cup type exhaust, wheels and create a bastard/hotrod Cayman which would be a hoot to drive and relatively cheap Porsche entry.  Maybe turf some bits out to save weight.  I'm not a fan of the RS4.2 wide body mods but it would be good to "harden up" the look a little.

The car below is on the right track but it's a little too track biased and I imagine priced too high (unsold for a long time now).  I guess you could easily replace seats with GT3 type (or 918/GT4 replicas?) and dial back the coilovers. And the wheels would have to go platinum or anthracite, lose the orange decals.  I'm thinking GT4 lite for 50-60k.  I reckon something like this would be 90% as fun as GT4 in real world speed limited road conditions (maybe a bit more raw?) for 1/4 the price.  I'd keep all the bits to convert back to standard so I don't take a bath at resale time.  And I could bomb around the track from time to time when the Mazda is in the workshop ? This thing does 1:49 at SMP which is not hanging around.

Or I could look for a cheap Cayman at the auctions, preferably with blown engine (IMS) or stolen and recovered, install a 3.8 Carrera S engine and GT3 plenum with the saving on purchase price?

thoughts?  Has it been done?  How hard to transplante 3.6/3.8?  Or do you bother - is the 3.4 enough for a road car? 

no doubt US forums have covered this but haven't had time to search so I thought I'd put it out to the PFA brains trust.

cp5007198106109723691.jpg?aspect=FitWith

2006 Porsche Cayman S 987 Manual MY07

• 54,000 km
  • Coupe
  • Manual
  • 6cyl 3.4L Petrol

Private

For more information on this vehicle please visit:
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Cayman-2006/SSE-AD-4522060

Mate, I think your on the right track (pun? :lol:

I've supersprinted with plenty of Cayman S and Boxsters, they're quick in the tight stuff, and super composed, they lack the straight line speed of big brother 911, but this really not a problem on shorter straights. 

That one you've linked, I am pretty sure runs in the PCNSW SS still, I'd definitely suggest taking a look if he has all the original parts for it. Way better off buying that at the right price then to build one! If original 987.1 Cayman S is $50-55k I'd say you're doing well to buy that car at $55-$60k with ALL parts. Roughly he'd have $20K~in add ons. 

And you are not wrong about bang for buck factor, if that Cayman S is running 1:49's on SMP GP circuit, that is moving!

Fast GT3's are running mid 1:40's and the dudes that can drive 11/10 are tapping into the low 1:40's 

To me, I'd prefer to race a $60k car and drive it 11/10 and still be only a few seconds slower than than the $200K car getting driven 9.5/10. 

Of course you can go cup car for similar money, but that puts SMT's off the menu and higher costs per meeting.

I'd be happy to take a look at that Cayman for you if you like. 

Thanks guys.  I'm thinking 3.4 is enough and keeps it cheap.  Last thing I want is GT2 performance, unusable on the road.  I'd like raw, light, loud and nimble which are all easy with Cayman.  I had to pedal pretty hard in my GT2 to keep up with Marks 968CS so there's a lot to be said for a well balanced chassis.  I'd smoke him on the straights but that's not the fun bit and that's where the cops will ping you so what's the point.

To me, I'd prefer to race a $60k car and drive it 11/10 and still be only a few seconds slower than than the $200K car getting driven 9.5/10. 

absolutely agree,  I see your equation and I raise you - my $17k RX7 (well, maybe $25k) driven 12/10 was a second a lap faster than a properly driven 991 GT3RS And 0.8 faster than a track prepared 996TT at Maserati Club Sandown recently. Oh, and 3.5s faster than F458...  In fact, the old girl was fastest car on track ahead of the 2 Porsches despite being one of the cheapest cars out there.   Gee it's great fun catching and passing expensive machines.  And if I bin it, who cares.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/644773096/object_206225.73Q/Result?18

Take Mr Chops engine out of his GT3 and stick into my Cayman, oh yes. Having that motor growling just behind me would be Nirvana. That aggression would be nuts. Throw in an open ended license (millions of points) and wha hoo, watch out. Throw in some sticky tyres and bigger brakes and a 'get out of here' rear wing.

Thought a paint scheme like a GT40 in GULF livery would be fun, .......for a while.

absolutely agree,  I see your equation and I raise you - my $17k RX7 (well, maybe $25k) driven 12/10 was a second a lap faster than a properly driven 991 GT3RS And 0.8 faster than a track prepared 996TT at Maserati Club Sandown recently. Oh, and 3.5s faster than F458...  In fact, the old girl was fastest car on track ahead of the 2 Porsches despite being one of the cheapest cars out there.   Gee it's great fun catching and passing expensive machines.  And if I bin it, who cares.

http://racing.natsoft.com.au/644773096/object_206225.73Q/Result?18

Always cool to see an oldie run with (or in front) of the pack. 

But I tell you what, there's a certain satisfaction in finishing a track day, then driving straight out of the pits and by the cars getting loaded onto their trailers as you proceed to turn on your aircon, put your windows up and crank the radio tunes. Oh then take your significant other out for coffee later on! Race numbers, R specs, dirt and all! ?

Always cool to see an oldie run with (or in front) of the pack. 

But I tell you what, there's a certain satisfaction in finishing a track day, then driving straight out of the pits and by the cars getting loaded onto their trailers as you proceed to turn on your aircon, put your windows up and crank the radio tunes. Oh then take your significant other out for coffee later on! Race numbers, R specs, dirt and all! ?

yeah I get it, done it.   Ive also had a daily daily driver which doubles as track car (bad idea).  Weekend toy which doubles as track car was pretty good.  Track car which doubles as a weekend toy (bad idea).  But I've worked out that to go really fast for small money, you buy someone else's stripped out track car (which cost $50k to build and is worth sub $20k!) and a good trailer = gold.  no looking back now.

my mate still has the daily/track car ( Audi TT ) but it's progressively had coilovers, chip, exhaust, solid mounts, brakes, LSD, cage, seats, harnesses, interior gut, wheels etc and now the thing is a pig on road but fast on track.  And it has cost heaps.  Im betting SUV and trailer will be on his Xmas wish list this year.  

GT3 is a rare breed, there are not many cars as well sorted on track that remain practical on the road.

yeah I get it, done it.   Ive also had a daily daily driver which doubles as track car (bad idea).  Weekend toy which doubles as track car was pretty good.  Track car which doubles as a weekend toy (bad idea).  But I've worked out that to go really fast for small money, you buy someone else's stripped out track car (which cost $50k to build and is worth sub $20k!) and a good trailer = gold.  no looking back now.

I couldn't agree more. Starting from scratch sounds nice in theory, but the costs add up quick.

GT3 is a rare breed, there are not many cars as well sorted on track that remain practical on the road.

After going for a drive with @symsy today, I have to agree. Those things are absolute weapons, but still so comfortable. I agree with his statement, that even with a bottomless wallet to throw at a car, I don't think you could build anything else that could match it in all the aspects.

Absolutely, so much so, I can't imagine living life without one. 

it's ok. We swoon when we see a GT3 in the wild and shake our heads looking at them on Carsales with pathetically low odo readings. Sometimes we cry ourselves to sleep or we drive to the shops with the crushing sound of depreciation seeping through our non-Bose speakers. GT3 envy is real and horrific, sigh. 

• 2 weeks later...

I previously had an M135i chipped to 380hp with LSD and exhaust.  I took it around Winton one time - fast enough but a bit roly poly and it ran out of brakes pretty quickly.  It was a good daily drive but no comparison to a fast Porsche for engagement and excitement.   

The 1M is a bit more focussed and lively I suspect but not a big enough event of a drive for me.  

I've discovered the RX7 engine now needs a rebuild so that will absorb any surplus time and funds for now.

I previously had an M135i chipped to 380hp with LSD and exhaust.  I took it around Winton one time - fast enough but a bit roly poly and it ran out of brakes pretty quickly.  It was a good daily drive but no comparison to a fast Porsche for engagement and excitement.   

The 1M is a bit more focussed and lively I suspect but not a big enough event of a drive for me.  

I've discovered the RX7 engine now needs a rebuild so that will absorb any surplus time and funds for now.

Yep. My last daily was a 135i. Catless downpipes and a procede piggy back and it was nice and quick. I think the 1M is a bargain at $60k. Especially as they are still trading at near new prices in the US and UK. 

Yep. My last daily was a 135i. Catless downpipes and a procede piggy back and it was nice and quick. I think the 1M is a bargain at $60k. Especially as they are still trading at near new prices in the US and UK. 

Only one 1M on CarSales at below $70k, @ $64.5k, so maybe the market's catching up...

Only one 1M on CarSales at below $70k, @ $64.5k, so maybe the market's catching up...

Many of the other have been on the market for a while, though

That's a change from last month. Maybe you're right.

Next up. R32 and R33 GTRs now that the Americans can import them...

just spotted that on my105.  Would be fast but looks awful with the bling.  Easily fixed I suppose.  But I've done fast Turbo Porsches, exhilarating but madness and difficult to explore on the road.  NA is where it's at, for me at least,

Archived