Scathing Review of the new 718 2.0L Boxster by Evo magazine.

Apogee

Ouch!

What’s it like to drive?

Disappointing. Underwhelming. Soul destroying. All words and phrases I never thought I’d write about a Porsche sports car, but the 2-litre Boxster is a poor Porsche and the disappointment focuses on the moment the engine starts.

If you, or a friend, ever owned an air-cooled VW Beetle you’ll immediately recognise the unsophisticated clatter when you hear a 2-litre Boxster for the first time. Unfortunately it’s no better from inside, where the tone switches from that of a Beetle run on a student’s budget to an Impreza turbo with a blown exhaust.

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/boxster/17792/porsche-718-boxster-review-why-everything-porsche-touches-doesn-t-always-turn

The author sounds a little salty, he's running the standard naysayer lines about the sound. Most reviews are positive that I've seen. Not that I approve of the 4cyl T changes Porsche made. You don't buy a Porsche for a 4cyl unless it's 40+ years old. I would be completely onboard if the car was smaller and lighter.

The comments at the bottom of that article are mostly scathing also.

The author sounds a little salty, he's running the standard naysayer lines about the sound. Most reviews are positive that I've seen. Not that I approve of the 4cyl T changes Porsche made. You don't buy a Porsche for a 4cyl unless it's 40+ years old. I would be completely onboard if the car was smaller and lighter.

The comments at the bottom of that article are mostly scathing also.

There have been quite a number of negative reviews of the car though including ones from Chris Harris and Carfection (both of whom are usually spot on with their reviews)

They all say that the car is great from a performance POV but that something was lost in this iteration of the car.

He also says in the comments section that the test car didn't have sport+ so I imagine that would take a bit away from the experience. Porsche should be handing out full-spec cars for review if they want to avoid some of the easy criticisms.

That review is ancient. Yes it sounds different but is blindingly fast. Would I swap my 981 for it? No but it I will leave me for dead on any road or track I care to choose. 

I thought the same. The entry level is now quicker than my 'S', that's 10 years old.

That's amazing.

I'm not sure I'd want that engine though, but it looks like everything high-volume is going turbo, for emissions.

Mid engined, 2.0, 300bhp, 4 cylinder turbo? I'll have my 90's MR2 back please. Not sure it'd get even halfway close to 40mpg though.

While there is a bit lost without the extra two cylinders its still a great car and I don't know what else Porsche could do, they need to Turbocharge in order to keep up with emission regulations and the engineers already came out and said a flat 6 turbo wouldn't fit.

Since in the case of the 718 they are hamstrung due to it being a facelift and not a new model I'm really curious when they move to a new version in a few years if they'll build the car around a Turbocharged flat 6 or stick with the flat 4.

I'm guessing the Boxster/Cayman will be dropped from the line going forward and there will only be the SUVs/Panamera and the 911s (which will move more to a mid engine layout).

Seeing how Porsche is making loads of profit from the passenger car side of things, they no longer have the need for an affordable sports car to bring in money for R&D and to keep the company afloat. Those that want to get their "I own the badge" fix will do so with the cheapest Macan. 

• 2 weeks later...

Like any other Porsche, there will always be resistance when imposing a change on an older model.
This motor is no different. I honestly dont mind the sound, yes its no NA singer, but its not an unrefined engine and at least Porsche havent given in to all the crackle and pop substitutions that Mercedes had to bring in for their A/CLA45.
The car feels very well planted and for the first time have I ever felt a chassis that hugely overpowers the motor (in ability).
I think this is what all the journalists are referring to, its ability to perform so well, is its flaw, it lacks character... something the Flat 6 did give it. 

The ecoloons will not be satisfied until every sports car is removed from the road.  

Save the sports car.  Take a young kid for a drive with a noisy exhaust.  They're the future voters and decision makers which will decide whether yours is taken off the road.

oh, and if you don't have a young kid handy, find a pretty partner and make one.  The future is going to need all the car enthusiasts it can get.

The ecoloons will not be satisfied until every sports car is removed from the road.  

Save the sports car.  Take a young kid for a drive with a noisy exhaust.  They're the future voters and decision makers which will decide whether yours is taken off the road.

oh, and if you don't have a young kid handy, find a pretty partner and make one.  The future is going to need all the car enthusiasts it can get.

You could get elected with on that platform :D

Done already. ?

• 4 weeks later...

I'll give up my petrol spitting,dioxide spewing emission farting noisy, blipping p-car when I'm dead. Merkel and her emission nazis can go....:angry:

Sorry, don't know what came over me..... Can't want for an electric auto-Porsche. So exciting! :wub:

Archived