Jensen Interceptor

OBRUT

This is an itch I've been thinking about scratching for a long time - does anyone here have any first hand experience with these?  Or know someone in NSW that could take me for a spin in one?

For the sake of a single garage spot you kinda get three cars:

1. Italian design

2. British GT

3. Big block Mopar muscle car

Maybe add some hot rod/muscle car styling cues - wide steelies, drag shifter and a high stall converter for skids!

Contemplating escaping my air cooled 911 comfort zone...

i worked with a guy who had two. wiring issues were a nightmare, a little bit of rust also. put me off them for life but still worth taking one for a spin.

Last owner I spoke to mentioned he had his rewired end to end soon after purchase - and never had an elec issue again.

Keep an eye out on gumtree for a toweable service station :D I seriously looked a Jensen once but kept coming back to German V8.

I get that - but it applies to any muscle car too.  Like that so-ugly-its-cool 78 Nova in Unique Cars...

I guess it's one step ahead of an English engine-d American car. I've always loved the styling though.

And you get to say "ah yes,  it was one of Vignale's best efforts"

But make sure you get the pronunciation correct.

My father in law has 2 Interceptors - a c1970, and a c1974.  He's owned the 70 model from when he was working in the UK in the 70's.  They drove that thing all around the UK, Europe, and Scandinavia.  Mum, dad & 3 kids.  Yep, they're a 4 seater.  He's currently restoring the 70 model.  The 74 has been in a car fire, but it still runs & drives.  It has the 440 cube engine. When the 70 model was a driver it went hard, but he had no end of problems with the carby.  There's appears to be lots of resto parts available from the UK, but they do attract Porsche tax.  The rear window and stainless trim is apparently horrendously expensive to replace.  He had to do quite a bit of rust repair, but hey, it's English and was driven on salty roads before it came here.  I'm sure he'd be happy to talk to you about them if you're interested. I'll ask him, then PM you his number.

Overall though, a pretty nice GT car.

Watch fuel setup.. nothing that complicated with these beasts , its just they are all individual and obviously if your gonna do a resto ..its not a modular bolt on game when it comes to body work .

Rust is pretty obvious to see .. check under those stainless sills and foot wells and boot areas..  fit of windows and rear hatch is a tell tale sign of many things and watch that glass its heavy and expensive..

Engines big block , so easy to get fixed, but many do need valves/rods and more as they overheat.  With modern parts they dont do that , good fans well cored raidiators .. all those dramas can go away.

Fuel runs , best shielded and insulated as they are high presuure in the petrol/fuel setup so dont cut a corner , the  pumps and funky setup in the boot to the front of car , can be expensive 

There is one sitting on my hoist thats out on loan , I have seen it stripped top to bottom over the last 6 months..

Check for bog on the front , there is a bit of leadwipe front bonnet/wings, should not be bogged up.

Most parts available.  Torqueflight gearbox is also pretty vanilla.

Wheels bonnets , stainless  available at ok prices and stainless bumpers too look a treat. So easy to get that great classic look. 

www.martinrobey.com/  Is a very very good resource

They were 25- became 45 - now can be 70s.  Restos less paint really are a 20k-30k journey.  

I would start with a complete car, you probably wont put someone elses project together.

When you breakout the cigars and port , invite me over .. we will make it smell proper inside ,8 Cigar ashtrays if i recall.. Cohiba's will do ..

Good cruiser or buy a DBS V8 but manual of course.

Happy hunting, would have one in my garage for the wine tours

Interceptor .. that name just gets you hot doesn't it ;)

Been in one many years ago, and have never forgotten it.

You'll get opposition for sure, especially with the electrical issues ( like most pommy cars), yet a rewire is the only solution and fixes all problems. I would love to own an Interceptor, as they're a lounge chair with a V8 attached! Great cars when theyre sorted. As Nike say, Just do it

Most of these Jensens have been imported from UK and, like pommy 911s, have the English disease of RUST.

Rust in the Interceptor can be a huge problem too, because they use a section the chassis  as a vacuum reservoir and if this rusts through - you could loose brakes & stuff. 

If you find a good one, they are fantastic (but thirsty). They had a lot of Jaguar bits in them like diff & some suspension. Bit like driving a powerful gentleman's club.

Bit like driving a powerful gentleman's club.

Suprisingly the early imports are pretty good without rust .. atl east the ones I have seen , I agree with vacuum and brakes dramas..

Where is  Lord @GUT  he has the best cigar lounge car , I know of.. 

Where is  Lord @GUT  he has the best cigar lounge car , I know of.. 

yes quite happy with the GTS but who wouldn't love a big block Interceptor in the garage...like you said, that name alone.

This is an itch I've been thinking about scratching for a long time - does anyone here have any first hand experience with these?  Or know someone in NSW that could take me for a spin in one?

For the sake of a single garage spot you kinda get three cars:

1. Italian design

2. British GT

3. Big block Mopar muscle car

Maybe add some hot rod/muscle car styling cues - wide steelies, drag shifter and a high stall converter for skids!

Contemplating escaping my air cooled 911 comfort zone...

Loved the matt black muscle car styling of the Interceptor in Fast and Furious 5 (I think it was that episode)?

For those who haven't seen it on pay tv,  it is on the Tube of You  Wheeler Dealers S07E01 Jensen Interceptor

It was one of the better episodes IMO. Finally,  a car Ed can almost drive gracefully.

I was going to suggest having a look at that

I don't mind webastos - better than those flat glass pop out jobbies every Torana in my home town had. 

I have sent you a PM  and some gaffer tape and plastic sheeting to help with the leaks ;)

Archived