Peculiar 79 SC Targa for sale- 964?

This Targa is being sold as a 79 SC (UK import). To my eye, it is either an amazing 964 Targa recreation or it is actually a 964 being sold as a 79 SC. Maybe it was disguised as a pre-89 to allow UK import?

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-1979/SSE-AD-5064935/?Cr=23

Apart from the obvious 964 appearance, it also has the less obvious details:

1. Add description says ABS and power assisted steering;

2. 3.6L motor

3. 993 door cards and seats

4. 964 centre console with correct switches and shifter (I don't think a 964 style shift boot would fit on a 915 box?)

5. OBD port in passenger front foot well

6. Retractable rear spoiler (easy addition) 

7. 964 HVAC system (hard to see in the photos)

8. 964 frunk (fuel tank placement) plus presence of the Intensive Washer Reservoir 

Thoughts? I think this is definitely a 964 being sold as an SC.

NSW RMS has is registered as a 1979 RED PORSCHE 911S SERIES SEDAN

I saw that but think it's incorrect. The frunk is the give away for me, even if they went to the expense of a 964 'update' including exterior and interior, the frunk would never include the 964 fuel tank and intense washer fluid reservoir. 

Quick, buy this piece of rocking horse poo!

You joke but if it checks out and can be correctly registered as a 964, then this is a bargain. 

I reckon 964

look at the latch? panel in the engine pic. 964 shape not SC

Hmmm that's actually a different latch to my 964. Maybe it changed later in the model life but my MY90 latch is a gold circle.

Definitely a 964. 

Nice pic up @poli84

Even more plot thickening.

IMG_0324

That engineering mob is about 20 minutes from my joint, so it has been modified here in Oz .... the car also lives about 20 mins in the other direction from me so I can look at it if any one is interested ....

One could always pick up the phone and call the advertiser and the modifier, both of which are known....get the story and then try to make it fit with what can be actually seen - Dreamr has offered to go and have a look.

Of course, speculation is always interesting...... 

Dreamr - mate I'm unemployed at the moment but let me buy you a vowel...perhaps an E would be suitable....

So it is a bargain 964 C2 Targa or will you never be able to register it as a 964 because the Vehicle Import Approval would state that it was a 79? I'm thinking the later.

But it really doesn't matter in Vic - all you need is a RWC & then put it on Club plates ASAP. Once its into the club permit world, little things like being maybe a decade wrong arent a big deal.

Another example of where this happens all the time is with Citroen 2CV's - they have all looked the same forever & have fluid creation dates depending on the current situation.

Archived