Peculiar 79 SC Targa for sale- 964?

Everyone loves a mystery huh! 26 posts in 3 hours in one place, haven't seen this frenzy for a while :Laughter: Priced about right with a 10% Symsy size 12, for a smelly fishy import SC half hotrod 3.6 full 964 stuff , OR a smelly fishy 964 targa good k's import with engineering, dodgy VIN, and registered as something it's not.... bet there's no history prior to 2008!

So this is a manual 964 C2 targa that's been passed off as a 79 SC to import it into Aus?

Looks nice, what's a nice low k's imported manual 964 C2 targa with whacky history worth?

What's a nice low k's Aus manual 964 C2 targa with cigar-whisky-monocle history worth?

If it's the former the selling price would tell us what a 964's worth without the bloated wind, which would be nice.

The centre tunnel between the seats is the give-away - it's a 964.  Not sure why an engineer would add that if they were dressing an older car up as newer...

This ad is smelly..

But it really doesn't matter in Vic - all you need is a RWC & then put it on Club plates ASAP. Once its into the club permit world, little things like being maybe a decade wrong arent a big deal.

Another example of where this happens all the time is with Citroen 2CV's - they have all looked the same forever & have fluid creation dates depending on the current situation.

Maybe in years gone by but I doubt you would get away with it now. I found it was engineered in about two seconds doing a background check. So Vic Roads will too. In that case it will require a M plate which is a whole different bunch of hoops to jump through. 

Then you have insurance, yeah they will give you insurance based of what you tell them. However if there is a claim try explaining why the car all of a sudden requires part numbers beginning with 964. Insurance companies are not stupid, they will spot this car in a heart beat when the time comes to pay out on a claim.

Big gamble with $80K plus.

Maybe in years gone by but I doubt you would get away with it now. I found it was engineered in about two seconds doing a background check. So Vic Roads will too. In that case it will require a M plate which is a whole different bunch of hoops to jump through. 

Then you have insurance, yeah they will give you insurance based of what you tell them. However if there is a claim try explaining why the car all of a sudden requires part numbers beginning with 964. Insurance companies are not stupid, they will spot this car in a heart beat when the time comes to pay out on a claim.

The big question is ..... what exactly has been engineered?

If it's a UK import, it was already a RHD ... it's been engineered in Australia so it has been imported with some sort of VIN .... if it was a personal import, no need to change the VIN yet it has a pre '81 number?????

Not the first imported 964 I have seen with a pre 89 VIN. And probably not the last.

As an aside, you can still legally reshell in at least WA.  They effectively give the car a police VIN - which means no rego in nsw (and other states from memory).

So it is a bargain 964 C2 Targa or will you never be able to register it as a 964 because the Vehicle Import Approval would state that it was a 79? I'm thinking the later.

I must be out of touch but I didn't think the words "$80k", "bargain" and "Targa" went together :blink:

Not the first imported 964 I have seen with a pre 89 VIN. And probably not the last.

Fell off the back of a truck you reckon?

I reckon it's a pretty clever way of importing a post '89 car.  Earliest 964 Targa was MY'90 and latest MY'93 I think.

The engineering certification would surely only be to certify it meets ADR's and can be legally (!) registered.

Would be a good buy at the right price, particularly if you intended to keep it a long time and you were confident with having insurance cover that sticks.

Lakesedge Engineering which is no longer in business has other non P. question marks popping up too

"So this mob did the approval the 1UZ conversion/etc on the courier I had, which Mr Jones now owns. ... The rego certificate notes the report was done by lakes edge engineering, which was run by a Kevin Humphrey, but the RTA doesnt actually keep a copy of the report on file (that'd be ..."

However this is all history now & the backdated 964 has got legal in NSW so would easily get Registered in other States. Nobody would even check in VicRoads (especially on a hot day in Carlton).

If your car club wanted you to get M plates - simple work around is to change clubs.

I reckon it's a pretty clever way of importing a post '89 car.  Earliest 964 Targa was MY'90 and latest MY'93 I think.

The engineering certification would surely only be to certify it meets ADR's and can be legally (!) registered.

Would be a good buy at the right price, particularly if you intended to keep it a long time and you were confident with having insurance cover that sticks.

Are you sure?

If customs/ import authority ever found out that it had been fraudulently brought into this country I don't think there would be anything stopping them from seizing the car and destroying it. Has happened to cars that have been imported without correct approval before..... Trying to get it registered as a 964 would run the same risk.... the authorities do not like being made a fool of (if they find out)..... If the ID plate has indeed been changed to circumvent the import rules, then this car is an illegal import! Very risky!!

It opens up a whole lot of legal implications too..... buyer beware, do your homework....

^ Totes.

I must be out of touch but I didn't think the words "$80k", "bargain" and "Targa" went together :blink:

I'd say a C2 Targa would be worth virtually what a coupe would be in similar condition/history.  Rocking horse poop, compared to the coupes. Plus, the last 'proper' Targa.

Archived