1 hour ago, James P said:

Cheap thrills is the 996 if the engine blows up just put another one in, they are cheap compared to any air-cooled engine 

Thats my plan anyway 

Have you checked the computer in your 996 since you got it? Does it indicate any 'over revs' or anything naughty like that?

25 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Have you checked the computer in your 996 since you got it? Does it indicate any 'over revs' or anything naughty like that?

If you check the computer on my ex996 it indicates "well lubricated IMS" :D

They love it! Rev the shit out of them guys.

And besides, the chicks love it.

5 hours ago, SammyD said:

Author is full of shit. I could pull his argument apart in 100 ways every which way .... sounds like he's frustrated that he can't afford a 911, any 911 ... to compare it's place in the Porsche world to a 914 is just laughable, as is most of his points

37 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Author is full of shit. I could pull his argument apart in 100 ways every which way .... sounds like he's frustrated that he can't afford a 911, any 911 ... to compare it's place in the Porsche world to a 914 is just laughable, as is most of his points

Author is long term owner of a white 993.

However agree that he is full of it. It's both an unkind and unfitting review. Good thing is that speaking of fried eggs, in time these so called experts usually end up with exactly that on their faces! 

Cheers,

Dave.

wKKuVbM.jpg

Angles like this really show the size and squat of a set up 996. They just have that perfect period motor sport look about them, at least I think they are cool...................... 

11 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

No.. its just a road car why would i, even if its got an over rev I'm not going to do anything about it 

If its a Cup Car i would check for sure 

8 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Complete heap of crap,.... wish I'd never been stupid enough to waste $$$ buying it, hate driving it, can't stand looking at it :D:lol::rofl::Chuckle2:

DWmGMuS.jpg

Ok then, cause I am so nice I will take the horrid thing off your hands :)

14 minutes ago, ANF said:

Ok then, cause I am so nice I will take the horrid thing off your hands :)

Oh mate sorry I couldn't do it to you it'd sway you off Pcars forever -ruin your life. Bits of the interior are just falling of everywhere disintegrating before my eyes, kids cry and run when they look at the headlights and even at idle sounds like it's spitting rocks ... I just know that IMS bearing is letting go:rofl:

24 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Oh mate sorry I couldn't do it to you it'd sway you off Pcars forever -ruin your life. Bits of the interior are just falling of everywhere disintegrating before my eyes, kids cry and run when they look at the headlights and even at idle sounds like it's spitting rocks ... I just know that IMS bearing is letting go:rofl:

Clearly the stress has got to you! Avoid further mental anguish now :lol:

On 28/03/2018 at 8:53 PM, TrevMcRev said:

Interesting call to make....  History would show that a "newer, better 911" is often less expensive than the "older, lesser 911"

Otherwise a carsales search filtered by "Lowest Price" would give results starting with a 1963 911 as the cheapest, later longhoods a bit dearer, then for a bit more you can get an impact bumper car, then a 964 series car, then a 993, then a 996, then a 997, followed by a 991.

And if you work backwards from a $150-200k 991, you've got a $80-120k 997, a $40-70k 996....so where's that put the others? A $20-35k 993, a $15-18k 964, a $10-14k impact bumper, a $5-10k longhood, and those first few year cars, they'd be worth $3k tops!

I don't have a crystal ball, but I would not be suprised if at some point the simplicity and lighter weight of the 996 is favoured over the 997.

Personally, an early 98 MK1 996 done right has a lot of appeal in ways a late 997 does not. 

I think the closest analogue is 2.7 midyear vs SC vs 3.2/915 vs 3.2/G50

All things equal the price goes up with each change, despite being largely the same car.  The 996/997 is a bit different as it is looks vs mechanical differences.  But preferences are preferences.

I don't think the minor drive differences of the 996 will overcome the 997 lights and hips and general new-ness.

Awesome cars the 996's, I just love driving mine. A real 911 in the tradition of the past cars. Also compared to what manufacturers build today as sports cars (do they still make manuals??!) the 996 is nimble and narrow and light and feels so analogue and involving. A real pleasure to own and drive.

29666280_10216003069451141_1070155535_n_

Cheers,

Dave.

There was a time if you'd put a nice colour combo early manual coupe 996.1 and 997S in front of me and they had similar condition/k's/history/price I would've chosen the 997 in a heartbeat. But 2 years in with my 996 and I'm smitten. Maybe if I'd been able to afford and owned a 997S for 2 years I wouldn't even think about 996's...but that didn't happen and now I love pretty much everything about my 996, even the crap bits, in fact particularly the crap bits, because that's where a big part of the character lies. Add to that the analogue drive and the purity - with a touch of weirdness - of the design and for me it's a winner. I'm currently having secret lustful thoughts of a white 98/99 coupe with red/black interior, sports seats, X51, tastefully lowered/offset on turbo twists...but until that unicorn arrives, my bog base Ocean Bluey will have to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2018 at 10:00 AM, DT said:

I'm currently having secret lustful thoughts of a white 98/99 coupe with red/black interior, sports seats, X51, tastefully lowered/offset on turbo twists...but until that unicorn arrives, my bog base Ocean Bluey will have to do.

Thats pretty much describes my 98, 996 C2 without the X51 & red/black interior

On 3/29/2018 at 9:24 PM, TrevMcRev said:

If you check the computer on my ex996 it indicates "well lubricated IMS" :D

They love it! Rev the shit out of them guys.

And besides, the chicks love it.

was that a dab f teh handbrake there ;)

• 2 weeks later...

To stop passenger from flying around like that in the seat, i tell usually tell them to lean back in the seat and pull the seat belt really quickly. That will lock them in.

As for the 996 v 997... i like things that are different. All the 911 looks the same except the 996 series.

IMS and engine wise.. who cares. Ferrari's are notorious for such fxxked up fixes and so forth, people still buy them and the price doesnt affect them. 

Archived