manual coupes holding value, tiptronic cabs depreciating most.

Here are last 4 recent carsales ads with list price that are no longer there now..

Title    Price    Trans    KMs    Body    Location    
1998 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabriolet 996 Manual    $39,500    183,000 km    Convertible    WA    
2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S 997 Auto    $94,900    89,513 km    Convertible    VIC    
2010 Porsche 911 Carrera S 997 Series II Auto    $134,900    65,492 km    Coupe    NSW    
2005 Porsche Boxster 987 Manual    $26,990    Manual    104,973 km    Convertible    QLD    

Interesting topic I'm sure most people would go for the 997 but I think now is the time of the 996 it's value in time can only go one way,but then again I have got to say that.

i think in terms of %,  996's have come up a little vs the 997, but in the end i dont think the 997 has gone down much.. especially 997.2 S and that, if anything those have come up, only 997.1 non s has been nearish 996 prices .. ~10-15k difference.. i think most would get a 997 if they could afford it.. but 996's are great bang for buck, and at 997 prices there's a lot more options open up for other cars too. 

42 minutes ago, hugh said:

Its similar to the 993 vs 964 debate, each to their own. 

Thats nearly cage fighting talk .. 

As for 996 vs 997 .. dont you get a bit more length for your money?  Length counts doesnt it  and 5cm is a lot ?

I was boxster hunting really for my first Porsche and would have gone for a 997 if my budget would have allowed, but for the lower end of the 996 market you see some insane value. Especially a odd colour tip cab 996.1! Wonder how many get sucked by low prices while looking at other options? 

997 from my view will hold value better simply because the view that the 996 was always the black sheep so a 997 must be better... so 996 goes up in $ I guess you expect 997 also to?

cheers

Taffy

If we're talking base Carreras, I think the market has certainly taken notice of the fact that a 996 is now the gateway drug when it comes to 911 ownership and that should help values of the 996 start to climb (seem to be already). I don't believe 997's will ever dip as low as the 996 has and could halt the progress of 996 values. I can't imagine a situation where a base model manual 996 overtakes a base model 997 (assuming similar mileage etc). It just won't happen. In terms of desirability I'd argue most would prefer a 997 - all other variables being equal. 

Special 996's such as GT3's, Turbos, C4S etc are a different kettle of fish methinks... Certainly the 996 turbo seems to be seeing a boost (see what i did there?) in popularity. Suspect values will / are starting to reflect that.

As mentioned above each to their own ............I purchased 997 because I liked it better than the 996 and it was at the time the newest 911 I could afford .... I have driven plenty of 996 911 variants and the manual coupes are always the best drivers cars ,,,this is pretty much the same with the 997 range also  ...Keeping in mind I am not talking about GT3 just Carrera , and Carrera S models 

The only reason I choose the 7 over the 6 was the styling and the car I purchased I found purely by accident ,,,I went to look at a 996 GT3 and my 997 C2 S had just arrived after trade in  ,,,it was $30 K cheaper than the 996 GT3 and ticked all the box,s so I purchased it ....

The only thing I dislike about the car is the color .........Black           I will never buy a black car again ...

1 hour ago, Raven said:

The only thing I dislike about the car is the color .........Black           I will never buy a black car again ...

Isn't there a saying about everyone having a black car once, but only once.  Or is that red...

When I bought my 996 I far preferred the look of a 997 but wasn't prepared to spend 997 money for it.  I probably still do prefer the look of the 997, but since I have added a GT3 bumper and skirts to my 996 it has really toughened up the look to the extent that it is a close call for me as to which looks better.  I'm probably alone in that.  I'm probably also alone in preferring the interior of a 996 to a 997 - simple black interior will black dials and a three spoke steering wheel with no buttons.

And if I had another $30k to spend on a car, would I trade mine in for a 997 or would I just use the $30k to buy a box rod?  Probably the latter

31 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Isn't there a saying about everyone having a black car once, but only once.  Or is that red...

When I bought my 996 I far preferred the look of a 997 but wasn't prepared to spend 997 money for it.  I probably still do prefer the look of the 997, but since I have added a GT3 bumper and skirts to my 996 it has really toughened up the look to the extent that it is a close call for me as to which looks better.  I'm probably alone in that.  I'm probably also alone in preferring the interior of a 996 to a 997 - simple black interior will black dials and a three spoke steering wheel with no buttons.

And if I had another $30k to spend on a car, would I trade mine in for a 997 or would I just use the $30k to buy a box rod?  Probably the latter

Yep, we've had our one any only black car, a 307 Pug a few years ago.  However, we do now have a garage that we actually keep cars in, so it may be easier to keep a black car a bit cleaner now, but I've no plans to try.  My ideal colour is white, have had white cars as my daily's for probably close to 20 years now.  But we've ended up with 2 Seal Grey P cars, as they were what was available at the time of purchase that weren't black.  I'd be in trouble if I was still in the market for a 996 and fixed on a manual as the only ones available appear to all be $60k+ and black.....

We have our 987 Boxster S for the 997 look front, so whilst I initially would have liked a 997, I quickly realised they were $25k+ above my budget, and whilst I could have spent that much if I really wanted, I was happier (and management was happier too :rolleyes:) spending to my $50k limit

7 hours ago, Andy73 said:

I don't believe 997's will ever dip as low as the 996 has and could halt the progress of 996 values. I can't imagine a situation where a base model manual 996 overtakes a base model 997 (assuming similar mileage etc). It just won't happen. In terms of desirability I'd argue most would prefer a 997 - all other variables being equal. 

Special 996's such as GT3's, Turbos, C4S etc are a different kettle of fish methinks... Certainly the 996 turbo seems to be seeing a boost (see what i did there?) in popularity. Suspect values will / are starting to reflect that.

Interesting call to make....  History would show that a "newer, better 911" is often less expensive than the "older, lesser 911"

Otherwise a carsales search filtered by "Lowest Price" would give results starting with a 1963 911 as the cheapest, later longhoods a bit dearer, then for a bit more you can get an impact bumper car, then a 964 series car, then a 993, then a 996, then a 997, followed by a 991.

And if you work backwards from a $150-200k 991, you've got a $80-120k 997, a $40-70k 996....so where's that put the others? A $20-35k 993, a $15-18k 964, a $10-14k impact bumper, a $5-10k longhood, and those first few year cars, they'd be worth $3k tops!

I don't have a crystal ball, but I would not be suprised if at some point the simplicity and lighter weight of the 996 is favoured over the 997.

Personally, an early 98 MK1 996 done right has a lot of appeal in ways a late 997 does not. 

9 hours ago, TrevMcRev said:

Interesting call to make....  History would show that a "newer, better 911" is often less expensive than the "older, lesser 911"

Otherwise a carsales search filtered by "Lowest Price" would give results starting with a 1963 911 as the cheapest, later longhoods a bit dearer, then for a bit more you can get an impact bumper car, then a 964 series car, then a 993, then a 996, then a 997, followed by a 991.

And if you work backwards from a $150-200k 991, you've got a $80-120k 997, a $40-70k 996....so where's that put the others? A $20-35k 993, a $15-18k 964, a $10-14k impact bumper, a $5-10k longhood, and those first few year cars, they'd be worth $3k tops!

I don't have a crystal ball, but I would not be suprised if at some point the simplicity and lighter weight of the 996 is favoured over the 997.

Personally, an early 98 MK1 996 done right has a lot of appeal in ways a late 997 does not. 

Yeah well perhaps the phrase “it just won’t happen” is too definitive a choice to use when discussing Porsche values regardless of models. That said, I wasn’t suggesting a scenario where older meant less valuable. That’s an over simplification that doesn’t take into account “issues” such as the switch from air cooled to water cooled. 

Your scenario of lighter weight, simpler 996 being preferred at some point can’t be dismissed off hand. But I do believe styling on 996.1 and high build numbers will remain a barrier to soaring values. 

But hey, what the hell do I know? Point a finger at me in three years and say, “told you so,” when we’re all scratching our heads at the $150k 996.1’s on Carsales, saying, “remember when this things were in the 30’s?!”  

5 years ago you would have been told you were mad if you said a 1974 911s was going to be the same money as a 1989 3.2 Carrera. As time goes on, the gap between the 996 and 997 will decrease  in people's minds just like it has between the impact bumper cars. Things about the 996 that are considered undesireable now will become desireable down the track. (no, people will not lust after an IMS failure :))

As far as value and which one would you have. Since having my 996 for 3.5 years as a daily driver and selling it for $4k more than I paid for it, it turned out to be the cheapest car I've ever owned. That $4k covered the IMS upgrade and a good part of the maintenance costs. Ironic it's the only car I've ever had keyed, presumably for being a rich twat. Knowing that the 997 isn't really dropping in value, I'd be prepared to stump up (finance) the extra for a 997.1 as over the life of ownership, it's still going to cost us less than say our $50k Cayenne which is now worth $25k after 4 years.

Archived