Conversations and Conversion to Cayman

symsy

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

black wheel and dash and it would look OK. A mate turned up in his new Lexus yesterday with Red seats, but unlike Porsche who tend to just open the door and throw a bucket of paint over everything, the Dash,wheel, doorcards and console were black with silver and red highlights, and it looked bloody sensational, and far far better than any Porsche interior I have ever seen.

Best Description of how I see those porsche red interiors as well.  "Bucket of Paint over everything"

I actually think its a direct consequence of allowing the customer freedom to come up with what ever combination they can dream up 

1 minute ago, Grimmy said:

Best Description of how I see those porsche red interiors as well.  "Bucket of Paint over everything"

I actually think its a direct consequence of allowing the customer freedom to come up with what ever combination they can dream up 

And the reason that most just go for black, even if you would like red , green or even beige seats

2 hours ago, ANF said:

You lot are very boring when it come to interiors... :ph34r:

If I were to ever order a new Porsche it would be yellow with either red/ burgundy or beige interior. My new ML with beige interior is a so much nicer place to be than dab black... again I am in the minority, just the way I like it :D

Your not the only yellow car lover @ANF just got to the Melb office and the Chairman’s in today in one of his many fezzes. Sorry boring black interior though. 

Mmmm picture from insta not behaving will get back to it

https://instagram.com/p/Bhxkq1tAKkT/

53 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

And the reason that most just go for black, even if you would like red , green or even beige seats

Probably true and quite sad really, buying the car that you want with a firm eye on what the next owner may want......:unsure:

I've recently sold a 987 Cayman S after 10 years of ownership.  If maintained, they are bullet proof and cost effective to run.  Mine was driven daily, on weekend runs and at the track.  So balanced in the corners which is handy because they rely on straight linear momentum to build speed. Must get the S over a standard Cayman. If it's shared driving go a PDK. Get the sports chrono package and sports exhaust.  Exhaust option does nothing for performance but sounds great. Go a 981 for the more contemporary interior and PCM system.  Enjoy the Cayman... they are amazing! 

On 19/04/2018 at 6:05 PM, grantmr said:

I had a 718 pdk Cayman S for a day this week, only about 60km in it but I was glad to hand it back, found it a little bit dull after the 986. It sounded great on the downshift with the pops and crackles, but the other sounds seemed a bit too curated for me. I had the impression that they'd tried really hard to get it to sound good and non wrx-y, but in the end it was like it was trying too hard. The pdk was weird too, first time driving one, after hearing about how good they are I was pretty underwhelmed. It's... just an auto. At one point I was somehow in 6th doing 43kmh.

They're also really big/tall compared to my little lowered boxster. Interior was ok but I found the wheel and stalks a bit cluttered. Also couldn't believe the silver inserts on the steering weren't metal, I tapped them with a fingernail expecting a clink and got a plastic clack back...

Having said that, they're still a Porsche, a very nice car, and better than 98% of cars on the road.

I was really suprised to read this.

i had a loaner 718 Cayman S for the day and spent some extended time exploring some twisty”s

stunning chassis, instantly felt more capable than my 987.2, extreme levels of front end bite on turn in. Exceptional acceleration and gear changes (PDK) in sport plus manual shift. Insanely quick up shifts with the flip of the gear lever. In full auto mode and sports mode (sports plus doesn’t not work so well for road use as it holds on to the gears for so long) I felt the gearbox pretty much nailed it. This car now has the bigger stoppers from the 911 and suspension comments from the previous gen 981 GT4 car.

Around town I would agree in non sports modes full auto it will shift up real quick and try to drink as little fuel as possible. The car has multiple personalities depending on what mode you have it in and yes in standard mode they are very benign.

What made me walk away and not wish to purchase ??

That god dam awful sound it makes,  and more specifically all of the resonance and booming that is created in the cabin through the different rev ranges. You can actually get different parts of the interior trim to vibrate at different RPM points. This engine lacks the silky smooth manner of the previous 9a1 power plant and maybe the car hasn’t been fully engineered from a NVH perspective to suit the new power plant  

So to add to this thread.....

Looking at 981 Caymans. Non-S 981 Caymans are eventually dropping list price to the 75-80k mark, most only have 40-60 000km on them. and there's a few higher km (80-90 000km) S versions being listed in the high $80k range.

Is a high KM S worth taking a risk on? 

34 minutes ago, Daz7 said:

So to add to this thread.....

Looking at 981 Caymans. Non-S 981 Caymans are eventually dropping list price to the 75-80k mark, most only have 40-60 000km on them. and there's a few higher km (80-90 000km) S versions being listed in the high $80k range.

Is a high KM S worth taking a risk on? 

No risk at all, good consistent service history a must as usual. They are depreciating of course along with the non S and I'd go the non S. Very very similar cars and one is 15k cheaper with nominal ks as well.  Very good buying atm and they are only going to be priced lower in future (and put heaps of downward pressure on previous Caymans as well;)

Archived