Conversations and Conversion to Cayman

symsy

I nearly fell out the chair or should I more accurately say crashed off the road the other day.

She who talks handbags, shoes,  crystals , aliens, mindfulness and meditations mostly,  actually let a few expressions slip that Im actually shocked about and need to take counsel on ;) 

The prior RAV  driving .. and current Landrover D stick driving female in the house actually muttered the P car word and then followed through with the C word Cayman.

Needless to say I needed tissues , not only after orgasming in my pants to but to wipe the tear from my eye ... sorry for the graphic language but this was an epic moment that rocked the 13 year relationship.

Anyway I wanted to know does anyone have any track experience and what peoples views of ownership is of the humbled starting end of the spectrum of caymans... would need to be PDK?

I had to open with thats question so you are totally clear of my motivations here !

With the scent of a possible car conversion and convergence I searched carsales immediately but also wanted to see if anyone had been tracking (there goes that word again) the cayman market space and even watched the dirty import values of caymans.

I sense I need not search for perfect  as training would have to commence to modify the the curb hopping , full frontal full speed deep driveway deep gutter entry techniques,  speed hump jumping ingrained behaviour update also.

The other question would be S or no S .

Rapid research session underway . .  Mini Cooper S will be polished for sale also me thinks ..

1 hour ago, symsy said:

I nearly fell out the chair or should I more accurately say crashed off the road the other day.

She who talks handbags, shoes,  crystals , aliens, mindfulness and meditations mostly,  actually let a few expressions slip that Im actually shocked about and need to take counsel on ;) 

The prior RAV  driving .. and current Landrover D stick driving female in the house actually muttered the P car word and then followed through with the C word Cayman.

Needless to say I needed tissues , not only after orgasming in my pants to but to wipe the tear from my eye ... sorry for the graphic language but this was an epic moment that rocked the 13 year relationship.

Anyway I wanted to know does anyone have any track experience and what peoples views of ownership is of the humbled starting end of the spectrum of caymans... would need to be PDK?

I had to open with thats question so you are totally clear of my motivations here !

With the scent of a possible car conversion and convergence I searched carsales immediately but also wanted to see if anyone had been tracking (there goes that word again) the cayman market space and even watched the dirty import values of caymans.

I sense I need not search for perfect  as training would have to commence to modify the the curb hopping , full frontal full speed deep driveway deep gutter entry techniques,  speed hump jumping ingrained behaviour update also.

Rapid research session underway . .  Mini Cooper S will be polished for sale also me thinks ..

Jad has taken this around a track...

PDK for the wife for sure

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2010/SSE-AD-5357036/?Cr=2

6 hours ago, symsy said:

Always S  :D  

Probably helps overcome any deficiencies in performance due to PDK over manual (not to say there ARE any deficiencies mind......)

I have the baby 981 in a pdk and have tracked it (as has my wife) a few times and a hill climb. Awesome fun. Not crazy fast down the straights but can be as fast as you need it to be in the corners. Lacks torque coming out of slow corners. Huge fun. 

2 hours ago, turboT said:

Jad has taken this around a track...

PDK for the wife for sure

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-Boxster-2010/SSE-AD-5357036/?Cr=2

The ad says one carefull owner only eastern suburbs cars and coffee events 

Black aint gonna rock it in Byron .... way to hipster ;) 

2 hours ago, symsy said:

The ad says one carefull owner only eastern suburbs cars and coffee events 

Black aint gonna rock it in Byron .... way to hipster ;) 

I've been tracking, lurking on these two, good value buying and the way some of these sit around the 90 - 100k mark, I think these are sharp enough with the options ticked all things considered and nice wholesale with a 15% cash tyre kick... choose your poison Symsy, racey red or chicken yellow!

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2013/SSE-AD-5168751/?_ga=2.208738002.133953637.1524020047-1052736385.1523355385

2013 Porsche Cayman 981 Auto

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-Cayman-2013/SSE-AD-5122679/?_ga=2.120698184.133953637.1524020047-1052736385.1523355385

2013 Porsche Cayman 981 Auto

7 hours ago, symsy said:

Pretty piss poor form blaming your better half for your hairdresser tendencies 

now you’ve told us you can’t take it back, just ask me how I know 

Driven Caymans & Boxsters hard at Brisbane raceway & Eastern Creek, great, great cars, natural mid engine balance & definately S. How many brownie points for a surprise???? Doesn’t look like there’s much of a downside to this.

I had a 718 pdk Cayman S for a day this week, only about 60km in it but I was glad to hand it back, found it a little bit dull after the 986. It sounded great on the downshift with the pops and crackles, but the other sounds seemed a bit too curated for me. I had the impression that they'd tried really hard to get it to sound good and non wrx-y, but in the end it was like it was trying too hard. The pdk was weird too, first time driving one, after hearing about how good they are I was pretty underwhelmed. It's... just an auto. At one point I was somehow in 6th doing 43kmh.

They're also really big/tall compared to my little lowered boxster. Interior was ok but I found the wheel and stalks a bit cluttered. Also couldn't believe the silver inserts on the steering weren't metal, I tapped them with a fingernail expecting a clink and got a plastic clack back...

Having said that, they're still a Porsche, a very nice car, and better than 98% of cars on the road.

Think I'd take the yellow, despite the interior. 

Whilst the red car's photos might look all arty and that, they really don't do it justice.  Owner should have taken some good, natural light photos I reckon.......

I concur with GrantMR drove the latest Cayman and the S in Brissie recently and found the 4 banger turbo a little lacking. sounded great but needed to be up the rev range. Not sure how hard the mrs kicks tyre in those ?  or what ur budget is but whilst I like the 718 look my money would be considering a 987s flat 6 PDK as a bang for buck driver

:wub::wub: OMG yellow :wub: :wub:

Sand or black colour interior are ideal choices.

It is in yellow.... WOW.

Its very Byron Bay as it's 'alternative' to the so common and boring black/silver/white/grey

I’m serious. Bargain Boxster thread is that way =>. I’ve tracked my 2009 at Hampton Downs and it was a hoot. For the Mrs / inexperienced driver I would not worry about and S. As Boxsters are designed as a drop top they do not suffer all the usual scuttle shake. I’m not a drop the roof kinda guy but I love dropping the roof on the ole Boxster and you will too. Rag top is a nice change to the usual coupes and if you’ve already got tin top Porsches then what’s to lose? Tranny is fine either way. 

20 minutes ago, jakroo said:

:wub::wub: OMG yellow :wub: :wub:

Sand or black colour interior are ideal choices.

It is in yellow.... WOW.

Its very Byron Bay as it's 'alternative' to the so common and boring black/silver/white/grey

Agree. I know it’s wrong but I like the yellow car. You’d want to pay bottom $ tho.

15 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Mellow yellow over sand beige aaaaarrrgh! Will need steak knives or 2 for 1 offer to move that ..

Sportsplus is a must in a non S - and the $30k extra premium for an S in these is a deal breaker. Non S is fantastic bang for buck

yellow car with Beige interior - you would need the steak knives to stab your eyes out, its an abomination

salesman must have really hated the customer to let that order go-ahead

10 hours ago, symsy said:

Boxrod might be a better prospect and a hardtop 

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Boxster-2010/OAG-AD-15532935/?Cr=3

I wonder what happens when you blow up a PDK ??? Apart from credit card meltdown 

thats why the good lord created Porsche extended warranty

20-25k

56 minutes ago, Ozvino said:

yellow car with Beige interior - you would need the steak knives to stab your eyes out, its an abomination

salesman must have really hated the customer to let that order go-ahead

thats why the good lord created Porsche extended warranty

20-25k

black wheel and dash and it would look OK. A mate turned up in his new Lexus yesterday with Red seats, but unlike Porsche who tend to just open the door and throw a bucket of paint over everything, the Dash,wheel, doorcards and console were black with silver and red highlights, and it looked bloody sensational, and far far better than any Porsche interior I have ever seen.

You lot are very boring when it come to interiors... :ph34r:

If I were to ever order a new Porsche it would be yellow with either red/ burgundy or beige interior. My new ML with beige interior is a so much nicer place to be than drab black... again I am in the minority, just the way I like it :D

Archived