Driving my new 997 GTS from Melb to Syd

26706244127_f7be7f87b5_b.jpg

40863408254_da03298562_b.jpg

Hi Gents, 

Per the title . . . I just purchased a 997 GTS and next week I'm going to drive it back from Melbourne to Sydney.  My current thinking is to spread the driving over 2.5 days and take the Coast Road (Princess Highway).  With a few good diversions!  I'd love to drive back via the Alpine route but I think that needs more than 2 days to do it justice.

So, the advice I need . . .  how do I maximise a rare opportunity to enjoy this wonderful car for a couple of days?  Any tips on the route or side trips?  Where would you stay?

Thanks

Congrats on your purchase mate.  Great looking car ! 

If you have time to enjoy the trip back if I was you I would take a different route back to Melb. i.e..

• Main drag M313 Syd to Canberra ( warm her up nicely and get used to feel of the car without much to think about in terms of direction and no stop start )
  • From Canberra take the B23 to Cooma
  • Then the C608 through the Snowy ... Jindabyne all the way to Lakes Entrance and from there through to Melb.

I think you will get to open the GTS right up and put it through the paces.  You will find alot of traffic along the coast ... lots of cops and little opportunity to really enjoy the capabilities.  Just my opinion.   Enjoy !!

You could easily drive Melbourne to Thredbo via northern Vic backroads in a day. Overnight at Thredbo Alpine Hotel, then back through Cooma, Yass, across to Nowra via Bungendore, Nerriga. Then home. Job done.

24 minutes ago, moosey said:

You could easily drive Melbourne to Thredbo via northern Vic backroads in a day. Overnight at Thredbo Alpine Hotel, then back through Cooma, Yass, across to Nowra via Bungendore, Nerriga. Then home. Job done.

Do you reckon that's a more enjoyable trip than the Coast Road?

27 minutes ago, npvpositive said:

Do you reckon that's a more enjoyable trip than the Coast Road?

Yes.  

I have driven the coast road a few times.  If you haven't done it before then the perception is that it's more appealing ( because its scenic being on the coast ).

If you want scenery go the coast.  

Heaps of speed cameras and lots of traffic.  Not school hols I know so not as bad as it could be but still not the better route to take the P through its paces.

If you want to have more fun in the car go inland

4 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Via Mildura , occasionally going a tad "over the limit" (safely of course) to make sure you don't get penalised for hitting the checkpoint in over 15 hours. It is a GTS after all ;)

Got to say we found quite a few very long, straight roads with no lines for airborne speedtraps, and absolutely no sign of the boys in blue in the country between Echuca and Maryborough on our recent trip (particularly at the Echuca end).  We may have exceeded the limit ever so slightly.  No tickets have arrived in the mail........yet.....

On the way up to Sydney we pretty much stuck to the limit on the Hume, didn;t want to risk that.

Great looking car npvpositive, love white (and yellow, and seal grey and.....).  Enjoy the drive whichever route you decide on

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2018 at 9:43 PM, moosey said:

And how was it???

Absolutely wonderful . . . genuinely one of the best drives I've done.   Perfect Autumn weather, and mid-week so very few other cars about.  One of the only times in my life that I've gone an hour in the car without seeing another vehicle!  The drive from Bright to Jindy is truly spectacular, and bombing up and down the windy mountain roads was a perfect intro to the GTS and what it can do .  The backroads from Jindy to Cooma are equally amazing, but beautiful open farm country instead of mountain passes.   I didn't see a single officer of the law between Bright and Cooma . . . and then the first one promptly pulled me over to check my unregistered vehicle permit. 

So, made it back to Sydney without a hitch . . . and somehow without getting a stone chip either.  Having just driven 1,200+ km, I'm now having Xpel paint protection film put on the car . . . I never claimed to be a good planner!

41753903861_296cd1bb82_k.jpg

41036078734_959754a8d2_k.jpg

41712569762_2070e60016_k.jpg

41712506932_06d1ef609a_k.jpg

41036153454_a54789c105_k.jpg

Great photos! What a way to get acquainted with your new car.

I did a trip more or less along that path in the family truckster and even that was enjoyable, would be perfect in that GTS!

15 hours ago, Airhead said:

@npvpositive  Have you still got this car? This one for sale in Sydney at the moment. Could have saved yourself a drive. But where's the fun in that?

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2011/OAG-AD-15888280/

Yeah, I had a laugh when I saw that car come on the market.  Virtually identical to mine but at a dealer in Sydney . . . but as you say,  there's not much fun in that!

Archived