996 Suspension Question

James P

My 996.1 Carrera that has M030 suspension needs new front struts 

Question is will 996 turbo suspension fit without mods like this kit? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wollongong/brakes-suspension/porsche-parts/1177309029 

Dont really want to go coil overs & the easiest thing would be to just get new front M030 struts if i can find some?

55 minutes ago, James P said:

My 996.1 Carrera that has M030 suspension needs new front struts 

Question is will 996 turbo suspension fit without mods like this kit? https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wollongong/brakes-suspension/porsche-parts/1177309029 

Dont really want to go coil overs & the easiest thing would be to just get new front M030 struts if i can find some?

Doubt it.  The Turbo suspension would be built for AWD at the front at least

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

Doubt it.  The Turbo suspension would be built for AWD at the front at least

Interesting question then, ..... (and I think you have the same car D2000) would this be able to fit a 2001 C4 and would it be an upgrade ..... ?  (also looking to lower by 25-30mm)

S

1 hour ago, James P said:

Ok thanks for the replies..  I’ll likely go for new M030 front struts & keep the car standard.. any idea where to buy them from? apart from Porsche

Always found Autohaus Hamilton good on pricing and knowledge (James there is the man!!!).  Eg quote for 987 Starter $595, Porsche dealer $2600......

So i got some prices for the standard M030 front suspension struts 

From a Bilstein distributor here in Aus $1260 delivered 

Autohaus $1320 delivered

fcpeuro.com $830 Aud delivered (6 to 8 days)

2 hours ago, 01CFOR said:

Interesting question then, ..... (and I think you have the same car D2000) would this be able to fit a 2001 C4 and would it be an upgrade ..... ?  (also looking to lower by 25-30mm)

S

My understanding (based on being told that Bilstein coil overs for a turbo should fit a 996 C4) is it should, but you would definitely want to check this before buying.  Also not sure that M030 would drop you that much.  I thought it was more like 10mm.

PS - 25-30mm seems a lot.  Don't you think you'll have trouble getting around town?

26 minutes ago, James P said:

Autohaus $1320 delivered

$400 - $500 difference is hard to look past ...

Maybe call them both and see if they can sharpen their pencil??

I'm happy to support local and Aussie businesses, but that is just too far a gap for me to support ... especially when you are comparing apples and apples ...

37 minutes ago, James P said:

Autohaus $1320 delivered

I typically find the same thing (just got a big box from FCP for my Non P-cars - and it was delivered in a week) and as @Dreamr says it is a big difference!

Ebay is always worth a try too.

50 minutes ago, D2000 said:

My understanding (based on being told that Bilstein coil overs for a turbo should fit a 996 C4) is it should, but you would definitely want to check this before buying.  Also not sure that M030 would drop you that much.  I thought it was more like 10mm.

PS - 25-30mm seems a lot.  Don't you think you'll have trouble getting around town?

Correct, 10mm drop at the very most and Turbo coil overs will fit a C4S'

Unfortunately turbo coil overs won't work with standard Carreras. GT3 coil overs will fit a Carrera but additional parts are required.

Here is a table of the heights:

heights_a194d8dccb54dff2f31e78555ab96273

4 hours ago, James P said:

Thanks for the replies gents.. looks like ill place an order with FCP

Don't be in a rush to hit the pay button on your cart.  Reckon fcp euro are the best in the business  for shipping costs.   if you leave your fcp euro cart open for 24 to 36 hours you  get a 5% discount code on the cost of goods via email  to entice you place the order.  I carted a  throttle body actuator for my non p car on sat night, got discount code on Sunday,   and l  deduct the discount off the shipping.  Eg about effectively $4 usd to ship.  But I always top up my orders closer to aud 1000 as well   so you stay under the duties threshold  eg top up on light  shit  bits like power steering fluid,  oil filters,  and air filters , cabin filters for bugger all incremental shipping.  Fcp is one of the few sites where you can add parts and check impact of shipping and the shipping estimate matches the invoice and shipping is very efficient. Order  was shipped Monday us time .   Once delivered, I,LL wait a few days then do a similar order  for the second throttle body actuator with more shit  bits for the next service on my non p car whilst  avoiding  duties.  

PS Sonnen probably have the best pricing I've come across on most 996 parts that i was chasing, but shipping is higher than fcp euro.      I always do a quick check against fcp euro, but i found  fcp's catalogue is pretty narrow on p parts.  Either way, my experience is your way out in front on genuine Porsche boxed / factory stamped parts if your not in a rush from either.   Easy square in the Netherlands aren't bad either particularly, forget their website prices and get a written quote via email.  

9 hours ago, Pokiou said:

Ohlins is one of the best suspensions you buy on the market. 

Nice video and some motivation perhaps to pull my finger out. I.e i heard ohlins are pretty good as well and took me over  6 months to secure a  set of  R and T ohlins coilovers that are currently sitting in a box that haven't been opened to go on my 996tt.  But they aren't exactly plug and play.  My research led me to spending  more again  on top of the coilover kit on parts to get them to work. Indeed not cheap.  .Eg want camber and toe adjustment in addition to ride height and compression adjustability.  ( tyres aren't that cheap). 15 year old shock absorber mounts and bearing plates are throw away items. To get camber and toe adjustment,  straight  to 996gt3 adjustable lower control arms ( not convinced on poly bushes)  and then need shims to make them work and they arent cheap.Get some toe adjustment in the rear then theres rear adjustable toe links, yes Tarett brand per the video.  Stock sway bars or after market  dont  cut it compared to 996gt3 adjustable ones and they wont fit the coilovers with stock links so you need sway bar drop links to clear the coilovers and  yes tarett again.  So I was up to 25 additional/ replacement  part numbers to compliment the olhins coilovers kit

Each to their own, but I can  just rationalise the outlay on a  996tt  and something a bit unique done my way( be nice to get rid of the 4x4 ride height) but on a carrera, thats a decent percentage of base cost  to go with olhins and you could forego the suspension  and nearly park up a driveable  boxster next to the carrera. 

Not convinced my  install  when it gets done will be all smooth sailing like in the video. 

In summary there are really only a few popular players for coil overs:

- Ohlins R + T

- Bilstein PSS9/10

- KW V1/V2/V3

Each one suits a budget and application, I know that @Mike737 has KWv3's so might be able to give you a rundown.

I'm planning on moving from M030 to PSS10s eventually, I've read great things and I like the Bilstein brand.

Thanks for the suspension ideas gents but i will stick with the standard M030 factory set up my car has as i want a comfortable car to drive around in.. I have a 996 Cup Car if i want to go fast 

Archived