Which Porsche GT car?

DJM

Righto so I give in.  After 2.5 years of dancing with the wankel devil, I'm done.  Mazda is for sale as of today.  Here it is if you hanker for rotary turbo goodness. 

http://www.my105.com/mobi/ListingDetails/p/1/id/20095

What now.  The lure of the GT is clear.  My dilemma is which one for dual purpose weekend/SMT and maybe half a dozen track days a year:

1 keep the GT4 (depreciation from track use, pfffft) - downside is I really need need to consider half cage and harness (for HANS) and seat.  Can't go to Bathurst and leave HANS I the boot?

2 swap for a GT4 with clubsport kit

3 this https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-Cayman-2016/OAG-AD-15768999would need front cage removed for RWC, too hard core for road use?  Too hard to on sell?  

3 996 GT3 CS 

4 997 GT3 CS noting my arse doesn't fit in the 997 CS seats......

5 dig deep and go to 991 GT3 CS (which I loved at Spa, PDK and all)

6 GT4 RS - might be waiting a while.........

In case you are wondering, I deliberately bought a non CS GT4 so I wouldn't be tempted to track it and hammer it's value.  Ironically I've thrown $30k+ at the Mazda in the meantime. Dumb. 

A few rules:

- cup car is off the list - slicks, sequential box, maintenance cost, and not road reg

- other brands, Lotus etc, nah, not my thing

- 991 RS, sure but selling my car and tipping in $200k is not realistic - keen to keep around the same $$

what would you do?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a nice 997.2 GT3 for sale ($399K) on the forum but you are correct you would need to add in $200K to get it after selling the GT4.  It is a beauty though.

Only way to go is sell the Mazda and then place an order for a new GT4 CS and wait for it and live with current GT4 until then 

Do not whatever you do get a car with PCCB and track it. Put the PCCB in a box and fit real race/performance (steel) brakes. 

The Tarmac GT4 with the cage is a great car but you will not be able to register it with a front half. A lot of newer tarmac rally cars have the cage fitted after full registration so are probably not roadworthy. Also tarmac rally cars are setup a lot differently to track only cars and are a great compromise for use on the road and track. 

Ok... lets try this

I would go a 996 Cup first if you want to do the trailer thing (i have a few contacts that are selling off market) bugger all maintenance cost if you find the right car (sorry i broke the rules) 

You could also consider a 996 GT3 like this one below or 997 GT3

^^ I have a trailer already ?  Tell me more about cup cars, for some reason I fear regular engine builds, mishandling and stuffing a sequential box, expensive tyres etc.  but I suppose if entry price is $100k less.......

I spoke to Brent, nice looking 996 but not far off a direct swap for my car. Don't know that I'd lap any faster than in my GT4 based on this.

If it's for track work and lap times you need PDK.  So go a gen 1 991 GT3 with the 10 year engine warranty and be done with it.

You'll need something with twin snails (GT2) to be significantly faster than a GT4 in my view if you stick with 3 pedals as I don't think a 997 GT3 is that far in front.  March of technology and all that 

33 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Do not whatever you do get a car with PCCB and track it. Put the PCCB in a box and fit real race/performance (steel) brakes. 

The Tarmac GT4 with the cage is a great car but you will not be able to register it with a front half. A lot of newer tarmac rally cars have the cage fitted after full registration so are probably not roadworthy. Also tarmac rally cars are setup a lot differently to track only cars and are a great compromise for use on the road and track. 

They are looking at changing the front section to bolt in......I assume because everyone else who enquired had the same concerns re rego.  They also offered to setup for road/track use instead of high riding Tarmac spec.  All adjustable.  And orice is negotiatable as  you might expect......can you believe the owner took it from the showroom to AH and has spent $200k ?  It seems too far Motorsport biased to be enjoyed on road.

12 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

If it's for track work and lap times you need PDK.  So go a gen 1 991 GT3 with the 10 year engine warranty and be done with it.

You'll need something with twin snails (GT2) to be significantly faster than a GT4 in my view if you stick with 3 pedals as I don't think a 997 GT3 is that far in front.  March of technology and all that 

It's about track enjoyment more so than outright times.  

I know someone with a track developed 997 GT3 and he said today a well driven GT4 is just as fast as his car.  

991 you say........when do they hit $250k with CS kit?  I was really surprised to drive one on track and see how good PDK is.  Could be a daily driver with an auto box too, triple purpose ??

8 minutes ago, symsy said:

991.. PDK.. 

If your going that fast with out a cage in the GT4.. any cage is progress, along with HANS.  

But ..shit 996 Cups are tempting 

I agree tracking the GT4 without a cage is not smart, easy to ignore consequences of a tyre letting go at turn 1 Phillip Island...

I wonder how a 991 GT3 compares to 996 Cup lap time wise.  Probably not much in it (which is amazing!).  Too fast on the road but still easier than trailering everywhere.  And I'd really prefer to not have a race car that I can't even take around the block.

But 991.1s have not plummeted like I thought they would with delivery of 991.2.  I need a track pig 991 that the purists won't touch, pick it up for a steal.  

Do all these guys who track $300k 991s do it uninsured?

23 minutes ago, DJM said:

^^ I have a trailer already ?  Tell me more about cup cars, for some reason I fear regular engine builds, mishandling and stuffing a sequential box, expensive tyres etc.  but I suppose if entry price is $100k less.......

Entry will be less than $100k for a 996.2 or 997.1 Cup, the 6 cup has H patten gearbox so its not that much different to the road going 6 or 7 gt3's box. The 997 cup has sequential box that some people bag due to the rebuild cost but if you are on top of it with preventative maintenance it will look after you.. i have friends that run all type of cup cars with no horror stories because they look after the cars & are still very quick 

Its all relative if you don't look after the car it will punish your $$

11 minutes ago, DJM said:

I wonder how a 991 GT3 compares to 996 Cup lap time wise.  Probably not much in it (which is amazing!).  Too fast on the road but still easier than trailering everywhere.  And I'd really prefer to not have a race car that I can't even take around the block.

But 991.1s have not plummeted like I thought they would with delivery of 991.2.  I need a track pig 991 that the purists won't touch, pick it up for a steal.  

991 also can slip on the roads on the Reefton spur aka  when wall grazed if needs be.. ;) 

But seriously 

Have you thought of co-ownership, how many weekends do you actually get to the track..? Bring your own wheels..  Brakes ..% by honesty percentage laps where they get smashed the most ,  the rest all shared.

When you think of ownership what else would you like to do with it .. tour of tassie perhaps .. mountain roads..mitta mitta ?? 

Ownership of a bitch as you call it doesnt really make sense, its only when you wanna get personal, bitches aint personal .. lovers and wives are and you could have a lesser second car to cruise around in .. again possibly even shared . 

Finally also a third classic :) 

PS Whats the fit like in a CS 991 Seat.. i have only driven a RS and again wasnt as tight at 997 but comfy..after I poured myself in .

14 minutes ago, DJM said:

I agree tracking the GT4 without a cage is not smart, easy to ignore consequences of a tyre letting go at turn 1 Phillip Island...

Do all these guys who track $300k 991s do it uninsured?

If you can go a 991 GT3 with PDK it will be a good choice & easy to drive 

15 minutes ago, James P said:

If you can go a 991 GT3 with PDK it will be a good choice & easy to drive 

We lost him .. the carsales trawling has started , havent you heard the internet groaning .. 1 laptop in each hand 

34 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Forgot to add don't track a GT4 unless it is under warranty or the 3rd gear issue is fully sorted. I personally know of a number of them that have had the problem. 

I forgot about that....

1 minute ago, Skidmarks said:

991 GT3 is a no brainer. 

I'm hearing a consistent story.....

5 minutes ago, symsy said:

We lost him .. the carsales trawling has started , havent you heard the internet groaning .. 1 laptop in each hand 

Started?  It has never stopped ?

I’d say Cup like @James P has already said, but for the same reasons a race car on a trailer isn’t ideal right now for me, is probably similar reasons for you. 

In terms of road cars, I like the 991 GT3, they are fast and you don’t need to drop a bunch of cash into getting it fast like you may with a 996 or 997. Just set it up right with good tyres, and learn to drive it, it would be my 1st port of call if you can spend that $$$ 

However the 991 is still deprecating, that may or may not bother you. 

The 996 & 997’s are sound buying at the moment and I don’t think we’ll see much shift +/- in the current prices, actually I think the 996’s are too cheap. 

You can get them as fast as the new stuff, but it takes some development and some $$$ 

The GT4’s can be as fast as all the above in the right hands! Just check your local Porsche club (or nsw) sprint results on Natsoft. 

I like the GT4, but I’m not in love with it like a 911... 

I could have sworn I saw cars at 265 or less .. now thin on the ground ..Not at CS 

But you kinda get the sense one fellas ..ready to sell .. how much is a cage for one of these puppies

"Stupid offers and msgs will be ignored. Please don't waste my time. Not desperate for cash"

I guess you get that at all levels … gumtree right through the last page of carsales ..when sorting on price.

31 minutes ago, symsy said:

PS Whats the fit like in a CS 991 Seat.. i have only driven a RS and again wasnt as tight at 997 but comfy..after I poured myself in .

996 Recaros in my GT2 were perfect fit but 997 CS seats were too narrow and painful to sit in.  The 991 GT3 seats were great, the car I drove had those 918 looking seats and harnesses.  Perfect compromise, not full race seats but they did the job.

7 minutes ago, DJM said:

996 Recaros in my GT2 were perfect fit but 997 CS seats were too narrow and painful to sit in.  The 991 GT3 seats were great, the car I drove had those 918 looking seats and harnesses.  Perfect compromise, not full race seats but they did the job.

9.   9.   1.  G.   T.   3. 

You know it’s the one you want.  

Get off here, jump onto Carsales and low ball the shit out of the one that’s been on the market the longest.  

33 minutes ago, DJM said:

I agree, that’s why I ended jumping on a pair of new 996 Recaros for my 997... they’re great for the more voluptuous types. ? 

2A73BE44-8B77-4F94-BB5B-7CA5ADC2D14B_zps

8 minutes ago, DJM said:

None with cage, seats and harnesses other than RS and 991.2 all 400+

Improvise, adapt, overcome... or email Carnewal and buy the cage & seats ? 

Ok, I'll bite........

If I know you well enough I'd disagree with a 991 being the car for you. Yes it's fast but too sterile for you (he who has a history of bat shit crazy wanting to kill you cars) and I know that's what a young Doug needs to keep his inner bogan at peace. I'd also doubt you'll really punt a 250+k car at 10/10ths and I've never seen you drive at anything less. 

If we are looking at the cost vs reliability vs speed equation you'll want fast (as you are used to a certain level of speed) so to ensure reliability you'll need to invest some $$$. I'd say the sweet spot is sub 200k, ideally mid 100's for a fast yet reliable car. 

To me it only really points to a 996 GT3. Fast, reliable and plenty of options to trick up if you feel the urge. 

997 GT3 would be great but I'd argue that the initial capital is north of your current GT4 and not worth the difference. 996 is a step back in a lot of respects to the GT4 but at low to mid 100's makes sense. No need to be precious with it, drive it, maintain it and you'll get your monies worth. 

In all honestly I can't see the value in a 300-400k GT3 over a neat and set up 996. They offer everything you need and best of all are a very rewarding drive. 

I'd suggest an AC hotrod but to get the same level of speed/drivability to what you can get out of a 996 it's a no brainer. 

3 minutes ago, hugh said:

Ok, I'll bite........

If I know you well enough I'd disagree with a 991 being the car for you. Yes it's fast but too sterile for you (he who has a history of bat shit crazy wanting to kill you cars) and I know that's what a young Doug needs to keep his inner bogan at peace. I'd also doubt you'll really punt a 250+k car at 10/10ths and I've never seen you drive at anything less. 

If we are looking at the cost vs reliability vs speed equation you'll want fast (as you are used to a certain level of speed) so to ensure reliability you'll need to invest some $$$. I'd say the sweet spot is sub 200k, ideally mid 100's for a fast yet reliable car. 

To me it only really points to a 996 GT3. Fast, reliable and plenty of options to trick up if you feel the urge. 

997 GT3 would be great but I'd argue that the initial capital is north of your current GT4 and not worth the difference. 996 is a step back in a lot of respects to the GT4 but at low to mid 100's makes sense. No need to be precious with it, drive it, maintain it and you'll get your monies worth. 

In all honestly I can't see the value in a 300-400k GT3 over a neat and set up 996. They offer everything you need and best of all are a very rewarding drive. 

I'd suggest an AC hotrod but to get the same level of speed/drivability to what you can get out of a 996 it's a no brainer. 

Thems fighting words!! Dont confuse the fella.. we nearly closed him ..money he can make that .. 991 instant gratification .. he cant flip it when hes done , chuck it in as a sweetner on a Toorak mansion to a big buyer or something, he needs a 991 to get quickly to his site inspections.

Archived