Which GTS is the better buy?

Not a track focus sort of guy.  GTS has a back seat.  GTS seems to be more like a car for everyday use.  I however I could be swayed but GT3 has never been on my list.  Too out there.  I like the touring edition but not the cost.  I like a back seat

If possible take both for a drive and see ,,,which of the two appeals to you most ,,,,,, the new 3.0 TT motor behaves differently to the 3.8 NA ,,,both are equally great in their own way ,,,, I could not say that one is better than the other ,,difficult choose but totally a personal one ...

White is my colour and based on that the 2015 white car appeals to me, I also think the noise produced by the 3.8 would be better but unsure, hence the post.  I will be driving the black one soon.  The white one is in Queensland.

24 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

White is my colour and based on that the 2015 white car appeals to me, I also think the noise produced by the 3.8 would be better but unsure, hence the post.  I will be driving the black one soon.  The white one is in Queensland.

The new 3.0 TT do make a decent noise with the sports exhaust  ,,,interesting to hear your impressions after a drive of one ... one of the Sydney dealers has a New one in Miami blue with a glass top and a Silver ...

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Not a track focus sort of guy.  GTS has a back seat.  GTS seems to be more like a car for everyday use.  I however I could be swayed but GT3 has never been on my list.  Too out there.  I like the touring edition but not the cost.  I like a back seat

Don't have to be track focused to enjoy a GT3. 991 GT3's are a very usable car, much more exciting (and interesting) car for that level of coin. Back seats are useless unless you are carrying small children. 

If you want a great (+fast) road car save yourself some mega coin and get a carrera S. I cant see the value equation or appeal of the GTS, GT3 is a whole different level again for similar money. 

^^^ agree with @hugh. I was shocked to see that used 991.1 GT3s and GTS are asking similar coin on carsales. I would have thought the market for a used GT3 would be substantially larger given how daily driver friendly they have become. The 4 seat factor may appeal to a wider audience but as above, they don’t make a lot of sense to me for the coin given there are a number of perceivably better value 4 seat options in the 911 line up. Porsche obviously has it worked out though!

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Phil,

I had a 2015 GTS manual, which I traded my 2012 991 Carrera S manual on. I now have a 991.2 Carrera S manual. Observations, ( in no specific order) All 991’s handle much like mid engined cars when pushed, not the same as the Cayman but near. The 3.8 NA sound is way better than the 991.2, 3.8 NA has bark, 991.2 is rumble (both my cars have/had sports exhaust). In driving terms the 991.2 will kick the arse of the 3.8 NA all day every day, the electric steering on the GTS was better than the 2012 Carrera S but the 991.2 is even better, not the same as the hydraulic 997.2 I had but very, very good now. Brakes on the 991.2 are better. The interior of the 991.2   With the 918 style wheel is way better than the 991.1, touch screen also way better.

You cannot drive either of these cars near their limit on the road (but you can push a little/lot), I find the 991.2 with the turbos giving full torque at low revs really engaging to say the least, different to the 3.8NA in that the 3.8 NA bumbles along until about 4,800 rpm when it’s like someone lit the wick & you’re in blast off.

Both great cars, always capable & a pleasure to own.

My suggestion, take them for a drive & buy the one you love, neither will disappoint.

19 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Ok if I was in the market for a 911 GTS which should I buy, the 2015 with the 3.8 engine or the newer one with the 3 litre turbo engine?  

I’ve been thinking the same thing, and don’t want a GT3. 

Good luck with the search, eager to hear your thoughts after driving both versions.

All those three are very nice cars. Both engines are all very strong but the older interior does look a little dated but you could probably update the steering wheel and then the white one would arguably be the better buy IMO. 

I notice you're a 981 driver. Why don't you take a 718 GTS for a drive? It will handle/perform better than all of those three cars and you will have some spare change. Even straight line speed they are getting 0-100 in 3.9sec and 11.9 sec 1/4 mile. And who cares about that back seat ;)

17 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

NA .. All the way…for sound but has to have the sports exhaust..  Did I hear tyre kicking in QLD ;) 

Also having  looked at a few in the UK last year but not being a guru on these things .. dont forget paddles too not buttons for gearshifts and 21 way sports seat..   

Archived